Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

steam online storage

Options
  • 28-03-2012 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

if i delete games from my steam library and laptop will i lose all my save games when i reinstall them sometime in the future. im trying to free up some space on my laptop due college workload piling up but want to be able to come back to them in the summer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

You'll lose some of them at least. You can backup the save games from your hard drive and wipe the games though. You can see where to find them in the following thread probably:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840657

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

if i delete games from my steam library and laptop will i lose all my save games when i reinstall them sometime in the future. im trying to free up some space on my laptop due college workload piling up but want to be able to come back to them in the summer.

Deleting the game only gets rid of the installation folder in the steamapps directory (the main game installation folder). However save files are never stored in here so you can safely uninstall.

Each game will have its own save file folder elsewhere, which the uninstall will not touch. For most games these can be found in the 'Documents' or 'Documents\My Games' folders. It would probably be no harm to back them up first anyway, just in case of accidential deletion over the next few months.

Quite a few games do support the cloud saving feature, mainly Valve games and some newer steamworks games like Skyrim. But the vast majority do not. And even those the games with cloud support will still have local save files in the Documents directory.

Advertisement