Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Tips for Publishing on Amazon

Options
  • 28-03-2012 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

It's just the one tip really. If you're using createspace.com (highly recommend) it runs through amazon.com (not co.uk). This means you're going to need an American Tax Number to pay US tax on your royalties before they ship them out to you by cheque.

There's two numbers mentioned here - one is an ITIN the other is an EIN. Ignore the former!! That's my tip. Ignore any mention of ITIN (and W7). That way leads to sorrow and grief and immense form filling for the IRS and amazon. That way requires proofing your passport which is a POO load of hassle, and then there's the waiting....

You don’t need an ITIN AT ALL.

You need an EIN, which Amazon also accepts. For this you normally call your US embassy. Needless to say the Dublin one can't help you though. So I rang the IRS in the states (001 267 941 1099, from 11am Irish time) as I was instructed to do on the IRS site

Heres how it goes down...

You tell them you're releasing a book through amazon.com of which you are the soul proprietor. I intend to sell the book through them and I want to pay you taxes. I need an EIN number please.”

After that, they will walk you through some simple questions and just tell them that you don’t have any employees, but you may hire some at a LATER DATE.

7mins later you get the number over the phone.

They don't like humour or inyourendo btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

You tell them you're releasing a book through amazon.com of which you are the soul proprietor.

Do you mean you are the only proprietor or is it a very spiritual book?

Advertisement