Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking / Baking with soya milk

Options
  • 28-03-2012 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

We have a recently diagnosed dairy intolerent child in the family. I am finding it increasingly difficult to adapt recipes for her, but probably only because I am unsure about soya milk. Does anyone know if I can use it for white sauces , custards , brown breads etc .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Hi Curly. Sorry I can't help you, but a good place to look for advice would be on the vegan and vegetarian forum. Most vegans would drink soya or rice milk so they'd probably be experts in adapting recipes to their diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Courtesy of the Goggle Gods-

White Sauce- http://www.fussyfoodie.co.uk/foodie/128/non-dairy-white-sauce/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

We have a recently diagnosed dairy intolerent child in the family. I am finding it increasingly difficult to adapt recipes for her, but probably only because I am unsure about soya milk. Does anyone know if I can use it for white sauces , custards , brown breads etc .

as far as I know you can buy ready made custards, yoghurts, creams that are dairy free, usually stocked in health food stores, I've put a link below to the provamel website;

http://www.provamel.co.uk/Eng_ENG/soya-products/plant-based-dairy-free-naturally-low-saturated-fat.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

Yep, it works fine for all of these - make sure to use the unsweetened versions though ;)

For 'buttermilk' for brown soda bread, add a splash of vinegar or lemon juice to curdle it, and it works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I use it for all my cooking and it works fine. There are load of recipes out there for dairy free cooking and baking.

theppk.com has some lovely brownies with raspberries and vegweb.com has some good ones too.

I dont use milk in my bread so not sure how this would work but pretty positive you woud be ok with it.

Have also used it for making custard from powder but tend not to bother much as the alpro vanilla custard is so good!

Pop over to the veggie forum too for more ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Thanks for all replies folks. Very helpful :)

Advertisement