Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DISNEYWORLD FLORIDA HELP

Options
  • 28-03-2012 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

hello all
    i would like some advice please , i would like to take my 3 daughters aged 13,14,15. ( i am widowed ) to disney this august ( have no choice on dates due to work etc ) and would like to get an idea of where i should book this be it travel agents or not. would like to have flights , hotel and possible car hire booked and paid before going, any advice on trip, hotels, activities, or anything else would be greatly appreciated thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

check out disboards.com - it's a mine of information on all Disney park issues

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

thanks for you reply athtrasna,,
    anyone else have any ideas i find that site too confusing for me

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

ciaeim

Travel agents you could check out include Trailfinders http://www.trailfinders.ie/ or

http://www.americanholidays.com/

I use Trailfinders all the time myself so would recomend. You can view hotels, car hire on website but can only book by phone.

The link below is on Orlando and you may find some answers & should be usefull for information.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowForum-g34515-i19-Orlando_Florida.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I used American Holidays last year for my trip to Orlando and booked the hotel, car hire and tickets with them. And they were great with advice and sorting it all out etc.

However I don't know if they just don't deal with Aer Lingus or whatever but the only flights they offered me all involved stopping off either at Atlanta or in New York with other airlines. We went in October and at that time of the year AL were the only operator flying direct to Orlando (might be different in the Summer when you're planning to go) so we ended up booking the flights ourselves direct with AL. But for the rest, American Holidays were great

EDIT - There's also a regular poster who lives in Orlando (sorry, can't remember her name) but she checks in every now and then whenever someone's looking for advice on a holiday there so hopefully she'll be able to help you out.

thank for your replies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

I would start by looking at flight prices and would keep an eye on them to gauge how cheap or expensive they are and when the price drops to a reasonable level I would snap them up. Just go on the airlines website at different times of the day (i have previously found flights to the US are cheaper in the small hours our time as in 1am). Would check the obvious ones such as continental, delta, american airlines, maybe aer lingus too. I got flights to LA last year for 465 return which I thought was pretty reasonable. They were near 700 at one stage but just kept an eye on them.

As for accommodation there are a number of threads here about where to stay in Orlando, but I would look no further than somewhere on International Drive. Its close to all theme parks and has numerous restaurants such as Denny's, Olive Garden and a many more, plus there is a bus going all day as far as I know and is called the i-ride.

Most attractions would be able to be got to by bus if you didnt want to drive but avis would be a start as far as car hire, only hired one once in the US and went through them with no issues. Wouldnt get the sat nav as a road map and route planning in the hotel the night before would be sufficient.

As for things to do well there are water parks, universal studios, disney, mgm studios, kennedy space center, busch gardens. These are all theme parks except of course for the kennedy space center, which is very interesting, if you check their website it gives details of possible launches usually satelites now but could be worth trying to get to one of them.

City Walk in Universal would be an ideal location to stay around, have a look at Hotels.com for accommodation, the point in Orlando is around that area and is ranked 6 out of 343 on trip advisor and last time I looked it was offering a 65% discount if you were staying more than three nights I think on hotels.com.

Most hotels on International Drive have discount coupons for the theme parks so I would wait until there to get these, also the everglades might be worth a trip too.

been quoted 4900 euro for flights and eleven nights for this trip, anyone have any thoughts on this price

• Registered Users Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭RayCon

Hi ciaeim - your thread is titled Disneyland Forida so are you planning to visit just the Disney parks ? I see your girls are all early teens so if they like the bigger thrill rides - the Universal parks is going to offer them much more fun.

Disney Parks :
    Magic kingdom - this is the main Disney park - the iconic one with the Castle in the centre. Its definitely worth a visit and has plenty of shows, attractions and rides to keep you busy from dusk to dawn.

Hollywood Studios - In my opinion this is the 2nd best Disney park , although that's because its got Areosmith's rock n roll roller-coaster and Twilight Zone's Tower of Terror - both of these are great thrill rides. Apart of those - this park has a lot of shows.

Epcot - its ok, it's got Soaring, Mission Space and Test Track as it's major rides, outside of that it's shows and walk throughs of different worlds.

Animal Kingdom - my least favourite. Its major new attraction is Everest - a roller-coaster. however we found it pretty tame and fairly similar to Thunder Mountain in the Magic Kingdom.

All theme park tickets are categorised as follows:

Children : 3yrs-9ys
    Adults: 10yrs +

So no matter what tickets you buy , it'll be 4 adults tickets you'll need to factor for.

Disney Ticket options are as follows :

Pay at the door - approx $90 per adult so 1 visit will cost you $360

If you wanted to do more than 1 day at Disney , you could get a 5 day pass. This will allow you to visit any of the Disney parks (but not the Water parks) on 5 individual occasions over a period of 14 days but you wont be able to go from one park to another on the same day (that's called hopping and costs more) The 5 day pass costs $253 per adult (so $1012 for all of you).

For the Universal Theme parks there's probably more on offer and for a cheaper price.

An Orlando Flex ticket will give you Unlimited entry to the following parks :

Aquatica (Seaworlds new Water park - great)
    Universal Studios (Brilliant - lots of thrill rides)
    Islands of Adventure® (The best park of them all in my opinion - The Hulk roller-coaster is worth the trip to Orlando alone !!)
    SeaWorld® Orlando (Great park, 3 thrill rides and loads of marine life orientated shows and exhibitions)
    Wet 'n Wild® Orlando (Universal's Water Park - getting a bit old but still got excellent thrill slides)
    plus Universal CityWalk® (Universals Bars N Restaurants location)

The Flex ticket costs $285 per person (so $1140 for all of you)

Ticket prices and descriptions are available here (Ive used these guys loads of times and they are 100% reliable)

http://www.undercovertourist.com/

As for hotels, I recommend Embassy Suites in Lake Buena Vista.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34515-d84900-Reviews-Embassy_Suites_Orlando_Lake_Buena_Vista_Resort-Orlando_Florida.html

Its located equally handy for Disney and Universal (about 15mins drive to each in opposite directions) and is usually very reasonable in price (get a quote from American Holidays)

Each suite has a bedroom with 2 Queen Beds and TV, a big bathroom, small kitchenette area (coffee maker, fridge, sink) and a living room with a fold out sofa bed and TV. Free breakfast is included in the price and there's lots of choice including a cooked to order omelette. Over the course of the holiday this can save you a couple of hundred dollars V's eating out.
    There's also a "Managers Receiption" from 5pm - 7pm every night - this is a free bar (all drinks) with nibbles (popcorn, crisps, dips, pretzels etc).
    The swimming pool is also very nice (a lot of suites / hotels have a bog standard square pool)

ciaeim wrote: »
    been quoted 4900 euro for flights and eleven nights for this trip, anyone have any thoughts on this price

Plug your travel dates in skyscanner and see what prices pop up ...

http://www.skyscanner.ie/

e.g ...

04 August 2012
    06:30 DUB Dublin
    MAN Manchester
    Connect in airport
    MAN Manchester
    18:28 MCO Orlando International
    18 August 2012
    15:27 MCO Orlando International US Airways
    CLT Charlotte Douglas
    Connect in airport
    CLT Charlotte Douglas US Airways
    06:55 DUB Dublin

Passengers Adult x 4
    Total price
    3.338,92 €

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Just in case you've never been before, august would be VERY hot in orlando

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

RayCon wrote: »
    Hi ciaeim - your thread is titled Disneyland Forida so are you planning to visit just the Disney parks ? I see your girls are all early teens so if they like the bigger thrill rides - the Universal parks is going to offer them much more fun.

Disney Parks :
    Magic kingdom - this is the main Disney park - the iconic one with the Castle in the centre. Its definitely worth a visit and has plenty of shows, attractions and rides to keep you busy from dusk to dawn.

Hollywood Studios - In my opinion this is the 2nd best Disney park , although that's because its got Areosmith's rock n roll roller-coaster and Twilight Zone's Tower of Terror - both of these are great thrill rides. Apart of those - this park has a lot of shows.

Epcot - its ok, it's got Soaring, Mission Space and Test Track as it's major rides, outside of that it's shows and walk throughs of different worlds.

Animal Kingdom - my least favourite. Its major new attraction is Everest - a roller-coaster. however we found it pretty tame and fairly similar to Thunder Mountain in the Magic Kingdom.

All theme park tickets are categorised as follows:

Children : 3yrs-9ys
    Adults: 10yrs +

So no matter what tickets you buy , it'll be 4 adults tickets you'll need to factor for.

Disney Ticket options are as follows :

Pay at the door - approx $90 per adult so 1 visit will cost you $360

If you wanted to do more than 1 day at Disney , you could get a 5 day pass. This will allow you to visit any of the Disney parks (but not the Water parks) on 5 individual occasions over a period of 14 days but you wont be able to go from one park to another on the same day (that's called hopping and costs more) The 5 day pass costs $253 per adult (so $1012 for all of you).

For the Universal Theme parks there's probably more on offer and for a cheaper price.

An Orlando Flex ticket will give you Unlimited entry to the following parks :

Aquatica (Seaworlds new Water park - great)
    Universal Studios (Brilliant - lots of thrill rides)
    Islands of Adventure® (The best park of them all in my opinion - The Hulk roller-coaster is worth the trip to Orlando alone !!)
    SeaWorld® Orlando (Great park, 3 thrill rides and loads of marine life orientated shows and exhibitions)
    Wet 'n Wild® Orlando (Universal's Water Park - getting a bit old but still got excellent thrill slides)
    plus Universal CityWalk® (Universals Bars N Restaurants location)

The Flex ticket costs $285 per person (so $1140 for all of you)

Ticket prices and descriptions are available here (Ive used these guys loads of times and they are 100% reliable)

http://www.undercovertourist.com/

As for hotels, I recommend Embassy Suites in Lake Buena Vista.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34515-d84900-Reviews-Embassy_Suites_Orlando_Lake_Buena_Vista_Resort-Orlando_Florida.html

Its located equally handy for Disney and Universal (about 15mins drive to each in opposite directions) and is usually very reasonable in price (get a quote from American Holidays)

Each suite has a bedroom with 2 Queen Beds and TV, a big bathroom, small kitchenette area (coffee maker, fridge, sink) and a living room with a fold out sofa bed and TV. Free breakfast is included in the price and there's lots of choice including a cooked to order omelette. Over the course of the holiday this can save you a couple of hundred dollars V's eating out.
    There's also a "Managers Receiption" from 5pm - 7pm every night - this is a free bar (all drinks) with nibbles (popcorn, crisps, dips, pretzels etc).
    The swimming pool is also very nice (a lot of suites / hotels have a bog standard square pool)

Some great info there.

I am heading over in October to Tampa but planning on doing a few parks with my 2 girls, both are under 3, by your post do they do free in the parks?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

Just in case you've never been before, august would be VERY hot in orlando

Hi Ciaeim!

I've lived in The US (California) and been to Florida many times.

Appreciate from your OP that August is non-negotiable for your summer hols HOWEVER this is the not the time to go to Florida. It is not just "very hot", it is excruciating. You'll (all) be running (maybe fainting) into your hotel, and every other available indoor venue, it's a heat I can barely describe - like a dead humid heat, misery ++. Add to that the huge seasonal queues for attractions (up to 2 hours), and frequent thunderstorms and you can add an extra '++' to the misery. Been there, done that, never again!

OK, so solution? Well, your teens are probably looking forward to their trip and I understand the challenges for you personally, but I'd still give a definite 'no'. I have a teen too and wouldn't want to add 'heat stroke' to 'hormonal' :cool:. If you are limited by school holidays, I would look to next Easter. This is busy too, and usually has some overlap with Spring Break, but you can breathe and with careful planning, have a fab hol.

If you can combine school holidays with 1 week out, then Halloween week + the week before or Feb mid-term plus 1 week either side (? mocks on). From your teens ages, I assume you have a Junior Certer this year and the next 2. For those taking their children out of school (no comment on this pls folks :eek:), I would pick the end of Sept/Oct or May or end of May/early June. From at least mid-June there are bursts of thunderstorms lasting an hour to a day. From the end of June (sometimes mid-June), it's too hot.

If you are, indeed, absolutely constrained by this August here are my suggestions;
    (1) Book with Trailfinders (or Tour America or American Holidays), direct flights with Aer Lingus are more expensive but if there's not a significant difference, this is the way to go. I've only booked with Trailfinders and like their deposit only inital requirement
    (2) I wouldn't pick International Drive unless you were very clear where the hotel was located. It's the longest road ever (maybe) and has some very dingy sections. Ask your agent (safety 1st). There are some nice places right next to Outlets ('Premium Outlets) that you all might LOVE!
    (3) A hotel with a kitchenette is very handy, we always pick one. There are many of these. Am happy to give recommendations
    (4) Lake Buena Vista/Downtown Disney areas would be good choices for your family and car hire not needed. (We stay around Seaworld so we can walk to Seaworld and get the free 'skip the queue' tickets every day. We can also walk to Discovery Cove and get the free bus to Aquatica. Thou we hire a car anyway as have young kids too so easier for travel and supermarket shopping)
    (5) We get our tickets here, http://www.attractionticketsdirect.ie/, it has an office in Dublin and is also UK based. They have a payment plan too
    (6) Discovery Cove would be a highlight trip for you all. The ticket includes Seaworld (or whatever combination you pick). But.........the sand would be too hot to walk on in August, so you'd really have to think about this.
    (7) I would skip Disney altogether with Teens (thou I like Epcot) and go to
    - Universal (2 parks)
    - Seaworld
    - Aquatica
    - Busch Gardens (easy bus service)
    - Discovery Cove (expensive but brilliant)
    - Outlets for shopping
    You spend more than one day at these places, except Discovery Cove

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

I was in Orlando yesterday and the temp was reading 35.5c.(96f)I live on the coast so there is always a sea breeze, Orlando being inland doesn't really get any breeze.It felt like summer yesterday for sure,still comfortable for me because i live here but flying in from Dublin that would be a shock to the system.Summer you can lay by the pool but not directly in the sun as its to uncomforable.Just be prepared that you know its going to be extremly hot thats all.:)

kopkidda wrote: »
    Some great info there.

I am heading over in October to Tampa but planning on doing a few parks with my 2 girls, both are under 3, by your post do they do free in the parks?

Yip ... both your girls will be free admission.

Forgot to mention ... if your only going to do a couple of parks while in Orlando .. I would recommend Disney's Magic Kingdom and Seaworld as "must visits" with younger kids, and as you're in Tampa get the 3 Park SeaWorld, Aquatica & Busch Gardens Ticket - unlimited access for 14 days consecutive use. €95 per adult from Tour America ...

Hi Ciaeim!

(1) Book with Trailfinders (or Tour America or American Holidays), direct flights with Aer Lingus are more expensive but if there's not a significant difference, this is the way to go. I've only booked with Trailfinders and like their deposit only inital requirement
    (2) I wouldn't pick International Drive unless you were very clear where the hotel was located. It's the longest road ever (maybe) and has some very dingy sections. Ask your agent (safety 1st). There are some nice places right next to Outlets ('Premium Outlets) that you all might LOVE!

(1) I'd always pay the extra few quid to get direct flights so if you're using Trailfinders or Tour America, make sure they're direct flights as well. Changing planes and having to wait around in Atlanta or JFK or wherever is a pain so going direct is definitely worth the extra you pay. You'll appreciate it when you get there!

(2) I think you're being a bit hard on international Drive. It is long but if you stay in the central section from maybe Wet N Wild down as far as the Pointe shops and restaurants, you'll be grand. That area is very safe and there are loads of good restaurants within walking distance or a couple of minutes in a car. Plus Universal Studios is only 5-10 minutes away in the car, SeaWorld 15 minutes and Disney under a half an hour. And it's only 20-30 minutes or so from the airport.

The Premium Outlet are at either end of International Drive so I found them a bit isolated and not near much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Easter is the best time of year in my opinion. Long opening hours, busy, but fits in with school holidays. Weather is just right. You just need to be at the parks for opening time, and head back to hotel/house at lunchtime for a break. Then go back to the parks later. I think most Americans seem to arrive into the parks 10-11am during Easter, and stay till 5-6pm. The teens group stay longer in the evenings.
    Orlando is really great, but I have never gone there in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Maisie

Hi Ciaeim

We have been visiting Orlando for 14 years now and although anytime is probably better than August, when you are stuck with holidays etc, you make do. Believe me, I much prefer to sit in air conditioned luxury looking out at sun shine than sit here looking out at the rain. If you are at the parks you are queing for rides so you get a chance to stay in out of the sun. Also with three girls you will be shopping [ I also have 3 girls, so trust me on that!!!] so there will be nice cool times at the Mall. The beach is also only an hour and a half drive.

I would strongly advise that you book a villa. You and your girls will have a lot more freedom.....a room each, jumping in the pool at 7am or midnight[ not waiting for Hotel pool times] stocking up in the supermarket and the ease of everbody making their own snacks etc. AND...its cheaper. There are tons of villa websites [try Lastminutevillas.com] and a lot of Irish homeowners.There are some really good deals out there now. Villas may look a little further away from the action, but the roads are just brilliant. You do not want to stay on International Drive with 3 girls!

Dont worry about not getting a direct flight. Travelling with kids, we usually found that a stop was a break for everyone really. We would have dinner, get a new lease of life and the connection flight will only be an hour and a half or two hours. Look on Go Hop or E bookers and also directly with all the airlines....Delta, US Airways, Continental, United and Aer Lingus.

I agree that your girls will probably much prefer Universal to Disney. They will be excited to get to Disney but after a day there they will have covered it all and the 2 Universal Parks and all the Rollercoasters will be more suitable to their age group. Be carefull about buying tickets in advance because visiting a park every day on the trot is exhausting. We used always go every second day and then have a day at the pool. On the stay at home pool days we would head out in the evening for a mall and dinner or the cinema or some not so touristy things to do. Just a walk and an ice cream in upscale residential places like Windemere or Winter Park is gorgeous. There is nothing as bad as having spent money on tickets for consecutive days and feeling that you HAVE to go to the park.

Over the years I have found that booking it yourself works out cheaper. The flights are the most important part for now, but there will be tons of accomodation for August. Same with car hire.

You will have a ball. Make the most of it when your girls are this age. Mine are 20,22 and 24 and not interested in Orlando so much any more. Not that it stops me

• Registered Users Posts: 16 alisonl

Maisie wrote: »
    Hi Ciaeim

We have been visiting Orlando for 14 years now and although anytime is probably better than August, when you are stuck with holidays etc, you make do. Believe me, I much prefer to sit in air conditioned luxury looking out at sun shine than sit here looking out at the rain. If you are at the parks you are queing for rides so you get a chance to stay in out of the sun. Also with three girls you will be shopping [ I also have 3 girls, so trust me on that!!!] so there will be nice cool times at the Mall. The beach is also only an hour and a half drive.

I would strongly advise that you book a villa. You and your girls will have a lot more freedom.....a room each, jumping in the pool at 7am or midnight[ not waiting for Hotel pool times] stocking up in the supermarket and the ease of everbody making their own snacks etc. AND...its cheaper. There are tons of villa websites [try Lastminutevillas.com] and a lot of Irish homeowners.There are some really good deals out there now. Villas may look a little further away from the action, but the roads are just brilliant. You do not want to stay on International Drive with 3 girls!

Dont worry about not getting a direct flight. Travelling with kids, we usually found that a stop was a break for everyone really. We would have dinner, get a new lease of life and the connection flight will only be an hour and a half or two hours. Look on Go Hop or E bookers and also directly with all the airlines....Delta, US Airways, Continental, United and Aer Lingus.

I agree that your girls will probably much prefer Universal to Disney. They will be excited to get to Disney but after a day there they will have covered it all and the 2 Universal Parks and all the Rollercoasters will be more suitable to their age group. Be carefull about buying tickets in advance because visiting a park every day on the trot is exhausting. We used always go every second day and then have a day at the pool. On the stay at home pool days we would head out in the evening for a mall and dinner or the cinema or some not so touristy things to do. Just a walk and an ice cream in upscale residential places like Windemere or Winter Park is gorgeous. There is nothing as bad as having spent money on tickets for consecutive days and feeling that you HAVE to go to the park.

Over the years I have found that booking it yourself works out cheaper. The flights are the most important part for now, but there will be tons of accomodation for August. Same with car hire.

You will have a ball. Make the most of it when your girls are this age. Mine are 20,22 and 24 and not interested in Orlando so much any more. Not that it stops me

Hi Maisie, I disagree with alot of your post, as highlighted. Sorry!

Firstly, you ommitted to say that August is rainy season and there is no doubt that there will be tons of thunderstorms over 2 weeks, sometimes there is days on end of rain when you can do nothing. I would not "make do" with rain/extreme heat when I could plan a holiday for another time. The OP probably can.......this holiday costs thousands and August is horrendeous.

Secondly, you said that if the OP is in parks queuing for rides that there will be a chance to stay in out of the sun. You ommitted to say here that summer queues, regardless of the time of day, range from 45 minutes to 2 hours, and queues are not all in air-conditioned shade. They will spend half the day in summer queuing for rides (6 hours queuing per day being a good estimate).

Thirdly, unless staying next door (i.e. on site) to a park, why would anyone leave and come back? That's just adding parking charges and more wasted time to a day, a false economy.

Fourthly, I would strongly advise NOT to book a villa. This family will be completely isolated in suburbia. There are many, many resort hotels with big one-bedroomed suites that can easily accomodate them that are great value. They all have activities for teens, some have cinemas, several pools, restaurants and shops. They can still shop and self cater but have company. Their parent and the girls, individually, will be able to have their own time in a resort. They also do NOT have the same protection with a private villa owner than they do, insurance wise etc., with a hotel. People often forget this. Travel times and petrol costs (high) will be much more in suburbia.

Fifthly, it's silly to think a direct flight is not the way to go. Never heard of anyone, who given the choice, would not take a direct flight. Why would anyone want to add around 5 hours, or more, to their journey and be hoarded onto another plane? Cost is the only consideration, definitely not "a break for everyone". Advice is get a direct flight if possible.

Sixthly, it is cheaper to buy a ticket in advance. They all give reductions after 2 days, so if you go 2 days or 14 days it's the same price. Most of these cannot be bought cheaper once you arrive in Orlando.

Finally, the agents have packages that quite often........more than often.... work out cheaper, especially with non-direct flights.

We are both trying to help the OP, just with different opinions.

I'll second (again) the direct flight option. I've done both on trips to the states and hate with a passion having to get off the plane, wait a hour or two, go through security again and then head off again.

I don't think you have to do this anymore but there was once at Newark where we had to collect our bags and reput them through again.

It's all extra hassle you can do without, especially after being on the go for 10 hours or so (including getting to the airport at home and checking in). If the direct flight option is there and you can afford it, definitely take it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Hi alisonl, while I agree with a lot of what you say, but I would have to say that leaving during the day is a very good idea. If you get to the park first thing (I mean be waiting at the gate at opening time) get the big rides done early while it’s cool and more quiet and then leave at lunch time when the heat is at it’s height and the parks are mobbed. You can return later in the evening, refreshed and enjoy the parks which at that stage will be quieter and cooler again. Your parking ticket is good for the day; you will not have to pay to park again. Obviously there is a time issue, but I personally think it is worth it to get a break from the heat and craziness of the parks, have a nap, get some (cheaper) lunch away from the parks and enjoy the pool. Also, the parks are lovely at night and you can enjoy the parades/fireworks/nigh time goings on etc. I can’t understand how people can stay in the parks morning until night… I would be wrecked after one day!

To the OP, I have been in August twice and I was very worried before my first visit about weather/crowds/dire warnings that I had received, I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised! First of all, yes it is hot. There is no getting away from that. It is also humid. However, there are lots of indoor attractions which will all be air conditioned and a lot of the queuing areas are under cover and have fans. I personally found that by taking regular breaks in air conditioned areas and drinking plenty of water, we were fine. With regards to the rain, the first year we went in August, we only had about 3 days with rain; it didn’t rain at all in the first week. The rain tends to hit in the afternoon/evening so you normally get a dry hot morning. That isn’t a guarantee of course, but that was our experience. Of the 4 weeks we have spent there in August, we only had rain in the morning once and I would estimate that the rain only really affected us 3 times in the four weeks.

That said, both times we went in late August and there is a massive difference with crowd levels between the first two weeks and last two weeks of August. If I could only go at the start of August, I would probably skip it, especially if it was my first time. You really wouldn’t be seeing Orlando at its best. If you could go during the last two weeks of August, then I would go for it.

• Advertisement

ncmc wrote: »
    Hi alisonl, while I agree with a lot of what you say, but I would have to say that leaving during the day is a very good idea. If you get to the park first thing (I mean be waiting at the gate at opening time) get the big rides done early while it’s cool and more quiet and then leave at lunch time when the heat is at it’s height and the parks are mobbed. You can return later in the evening, refreshed and enjoy the parks which at that stage will be quieter and cooler again. Your parking ticket is good for the day; you will not have to pay to park again. Obviously there is a time issue, but I personally think it is worth it to get a break from the heat and craziness of the parks, have a nap, get some (cheaper) lunch away from the parks and enjoy the pool. Also, the parks are lovely at night and you can enjoy the parades/fireworks/nigh time goings on etc. I can’t understand how people can stay in the parks morning until night… I would be wrecked after one day!

To the OP, I have been in August twice and I was very worried before my first visit about weather/crowds/dire warnings that I had received, I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised! First of all, yes it is hot. There is no getting away from that. It is also humid. However, there are lots of indoor attractions which will all be air conditioned and a lot of the queuing areas are under cover and have fans. I personally found that by taking regular breaks in air conditioned areas and drinking plenty of water, we were fine. With regards to the rain, the first year we went in August, we only had about 3 days with rain; it didn’t rain at all in the first week. The rain tends to hit in the afternoon/evening so you normally get a dry hot morning. That isn’t a guarantee of course, but that was our experience. Of the 4 weeks we have spent there in August, we only had rain in the morning once and I would estimate that the rain only really affected us 3 times in the four weeks.

That said, both times we went in late August and there is a massive difference with crowd levels between the first two weeks and last two weeks of August. If I could only go at the start of August, I would probably skip it, especially if it was my first time. You really wouldn’t be seeing Orlando at its best. If you could go during the last two weeks of August, then I would go for it.

I take your point entirely about the parking, so apologies about that. What I was more so thinking, asides from petrol and parking costs and time taken parking and walking again, was that the OP would have to drive to X, park again, make lunch and then go back again. It is doable (easily) if close by, but it's a hassle to get back to a suburban villa and start all over again. My thoughts on this are kinda more against because the OP is a single parent and will have a lot to do. Also, there's usually someone who doesn't want to go again!

I also absolutely agree, for the age group here, the late evenings can be lovely in the parks. One thing that is really annoying thou, is that Disney very often makes evenings into 'nights only for people staying on site'. Universal have done this too on occasion, so military percision is sometimes required :cool:

Going back to the rain - sorry!! - several days out of two weeks is a lot, where this kinda money and long-haul travel is involved, when people can go (if possible) at another time of year. I have been maybe 10 times, including July and August and both were terrible per se, not worth it. We couldn't cope with the heat and the queues, and even the hotel pools were hard to get to walking barefoot from the recliner, 10 feet to the pool on boiling tiles. It hindsight, we should have taken the advice but we figured "Oh, we'll be OK". Not so :mad:

You are right in that the end of August is quieter. Schools start back a week earlier then here.

Where do you stay?

I'll second (again) the direct flight option. I've done both on trips to the states and hate with a passion having to get off the plane, wait a hour or two, go through security again and then head off again.

I don't think you have to do this anymore but there was once at Newark where we had to collect our bags and reput them through again.

It's all extra hassle you can do without, especially after being on the go for 10 hours or so (including getting to the airport at home and checking in). If the direct flight option is there and you can afford it, definitely take it!

I would have a days less holiday, or whatever, to go direct. Having said that my friends will do the absolute opposite!!! Many of them have no issue with it and take the significant saving, especially with older kids. It's my one stipulation - no flight connections where none exists!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

alisonl wrote: »
    I take your point entirely about the parking, so apologies about that. What I was more so thinking, asides from petrol and parking costs and time taken parking and walking again, was that the OP would have to drive to X, park again, make lunch and then go back again. It is doable (easily) if close by, but it's a hassle to get back to a suburban villa and start all over again. My thoughts on this are kinda more against because the OP is a single parent and will have a lot to do. Also, there's usually someone who doesn't want to go again!

I also absolutely agree, for the age group here, the late evenings can be lovely in the parks. One thing that is really annoying thou, is that Disney very often makes evenings into 'nights only for people staying on site'. Universal have done this too on occasion, so military percision is sometimes required :cool:

Going back to the rain - sorry!! - several days out of two weeks is a lot, where this kinda money and long-haul travel is involved, when people can go (if possible) at another time of year. I have been maybe 10 times, including July and August and both were terrible per se, not worth it. We couldn't cope with the heat and the queues, and even the hotel pools were hard to get to walking barefoot from the recliner, 10 feet to the pool on boiling tiles. It hindsight, we should have taken the advice but we figured "Oh, we'll be OK". Not so :mad:

You are right in that the end of August is quieter. Schools start back a week earlier then here.

Where do you stay?

I do take your point about the rain, I mean no-one wants to go all the way to America and get rained on, we get enough of that here! But in the case of the original poster, she says the only time she can go with work commitments, school etc is August. If I was left with the choice of going in August and it being hot and getting some rain or not going at all, then I would go in August every time! If the OP has a choice of another time of year when it will be quiet and the weather will be better then she absolutely should go then. But from reading her post, I’m gathering that it’s August or nothing for her.

From my personal experience, August and September weren’t as bad as I expected. After reading Dis-boards and Trip Advisor etc, I personally think the heat and rain were over stated, but that’s just my opinion, I know some people get really bothered by the heat. The rain is a bit of a pain, but we found it mostly hit in the late afternoon/early evening when we would be having a rest in the room or getting ready for dinner anyway so it didn’t massively affect us. A couple of times we got rained on heading in or out of a restaurant, but that wasn’t a major problem for us.

We have stayed in a few places, but the last couple of times we have stayed onsite in a Disney hotel. It is a bit more expensive, but we loved the convenience and the little perks like getting into the parks earlier than non guests or getting to stay after the park has closed to non residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Maisie

Hi Alison,
    I really don't know if you read my post correctly. OF COURSE, I prefer direct flights! OF COURSE I would prefer to go any other time if possible. But remember, the OP started by saying that he could only go in August and basically I thought my post might help him!!! I simply mentioned that some of these issues are not so bad.Most of what he got from everybody else was telling him that the one thing he had decided on [ie going in August] was the wrong thing to do. OF COURSE multible day tickets are cheaper [where did I say otherwise] ....but not much good if you dont want to go to a park every day.

I have been lucky enough to have spent practically every August in Orlando in the last 14 years and it must be a different one to the one you visit. We certainly never had DAYS of non stop rain,or 6 hour queues at a park. On what basis do you THINK this family will be completely isolated in suburbia? Most sub-divisions will have a communal pool/tennis/club house if the guests are looking for company. But you have the privacy of your own pool and deck if you don't want to sit surrounded by other holidaymakers. Sounds like you didn't get to experience any of this of course, as you were left sitting on your recliner on the scorching tiles in a hotel.

NCMC ....[we appear to visit the same Orlando!!] I totally agree about the last two weeks of August being the better option if the OP has a choice on that. Weather, crowds etc much better plus the 'no sales tax week' for buying clothes for his girls.

Anyway Ciaeim, I hope I gave you some food for thought........I was only trying to help.

And Alison, shame that some of your holidays were TERRIBLE [your words not mine!]

• Registered Users Posts: 36 longboarder

Having been to Orlando many times at different times of year I actually prefer August! The parks are open till late and as has already been said the atmosphere at night with all the lights is magic. The american school holidays finish early August so the latter part is much less crowded.

Although it is hot it is certainly not unbearable. A lot of the park rides are water rides and you get wet so the heat is a bonus.

Over many trips in August you do get rain but the showers usually only last a short time.

I would heartily agree with those who recommend not buying park tickets before hand. pay a bit more while there but go when and where you want to, rather than being tied in.

I would heartily agree with those who recommend not buying park tickets before hand. pay a bit more while there but go when and where you want to, rather than being tied in.

I found buying the Flexi ticket saved me a lot of money. It was around €200 for 14 days access to both Universals, both SeaWorlds and Wet N Wild. Individual day tickets are around $80 (€60) so even if you only go 4 times, you've covered yourself.

Maisie wrote: »
    Hi Alison,
    I really don't know if you read my post correctly. OF COURSE, I prefer direct flights! OF COURSE I would prefer to go any other time if possible. But remember, the OP started by saying that he could only go in August and basically I thought my post might help him!!! I simply mentioned that some of these issues are not so bad.Most of what he got from everybody else was telling him that the one thing he had decided on [ie going in August] was the wrong thing to do. OF COURSE multible day tickets are cheaper [where did I say otherwise] ....but not much good if you dont want to go to a park every day.

I have been lucky enough to have spent practically every August in Orlando in the last 14 years and it must be a different one to the one you visit. We certainly never had DAYS of non stop rain,or 6 hour queues at a park. On what basis do you THINK this family will be completely isolated in suburbia? Most sub-divisions will have a communal pool/tennis/club house if the guests are looking for company. But you have the privacy of your own pool and deck if you don't want to sit surrounded by other holidaymakers. Sounds like you didn't get to experience any of this of course, as you were left sitting on your recliner on the scorching tiles in a hotel.

NCMC ....[we appear to visit the same Orlando!!] I totally agree about the last two weeks of August being the better option if the OP has a choice on that. Weather, crowds etc much better plus the 'no sales tax week' for buying clothes for his girls.

Anyway Ciaeim, I hope I gave you some food for thought........I was only trying to help.

And Alison, shame that some of your holidays were TERRIBLE [your words not mine!]

Yikes, your way or no way!! No need to shout by putting words in capitals, it's kinda rude.

Yes, 'terrible' as compared to other times of the year. The OP can ask about the weather on Florida sites and see what the residents say, and do web searches on rain. I've been 10 times (at least) in the last 7 years as have 2 families there, my brother's and sister's.

When you add up all the time queuing during a day at the parks during peak times, it does indeed come to around 6 hours, if you wanna go on 4-6 rides (the norm). The OP could call the parks directly, or e-mail, and they will tell you that.

I haven't re-read your original post but I think you mentioned a villa, not a villa in a complex with all facilities. There are absolutely thousands of villas for rent in Florida, the majority are not in complexes, so unless stated the OP would not know this. A hotel will have lots of activites for teenagers; villa complexes do not routinely have this.

All in all, with a single parent and 3 teenage girls, I would not recommend a villa and driving unnecessarily.

As for tickets, I don't know any teen who doesn't love Universal and Seaworld, sites like Undercovertourist do such good business because it is cheaper to buy tickets for these parks ahead of time. If the OP goes back twice (I don't know anyone who doesn't), then a 14 day is the same price as a 2 day. It is highly, highly unlikely they would only go to Universal 1 day.

I'm glad you agree direct flights and not August is the way to go.

Florida is a great place to chill, when you need to chill...........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

alisonl wrote: »

That's just adding parking charges and more wasted time to a day, a false economy. Incorrect, once you pay for parking in one Disney park it's valid for all Disney parks that day, same with the Universal parks

Fourthly, I would strongly advise NOT to book a villa. This family will be completely isolated in suburbia. Strongly disagree, have done both Villa & Disney property hotel, for a family on an average budget, a good located villa is the way to go

Finally, the agents have packages that quite often........more than often.... work out cheaper, Not in my experience

Disagree with some of alisonls post

thanks for all the replys , even though i more confused than ever now lol:D:D:D

and alisonl and maise please dont row on my behalf lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Used to live in that part of the world. I think that folks are over exaggerating the rain situ. It is the Irish obsession with rain that we think it is the end of the world if it rains on our summer holiday. It really isn't.

Pop corn thunder storms are very common there. The pop up around 4-6pm, if not every day, at least every other day. The morning and early afternoons are gorgeous, then out of the blue, you'll hear the rumble of thunder & see lightening in the sky. The heavens will open up for about about 15 minutes, and then that will be it. It can get pretty biblical, but it will all be over until 3pm the next day. The blue skies return as quickly as they departed. You really can set your watch by it happening in Florida in the summer.

Yeah, it can be a pain in the ass when it happens, but it is not the non stop, sustained, drizzle type rain that we get here. If you learn to read the warning signs, and expect it to happen, rather than being surprised and of and pissed off when it happens, you'll be fine. On the plus side, they clear the air a bit when they happen. The temps will drop for a bit, and you'll have a bit less icky heat and humidity to deal with for a few hours at least.

The hurricane season starts on July 1st. It is not common for them to occur before mid August, but they can happen in August. (Hurricane Katrina did.) Airports all over the state will be closed even if they are not in coastal regions, as coastal hurricanes can spawn tornadoes inland. So get good travel insurance. If you can not fly because of the weather, it is up to you to arrange your own accommodation until the airports re open. US based airlines do not have to compensate you for travel delays the way that they do here.

Advertisement