Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spiders in the house. Kill em or catch and release them?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

If I see them coming I catch them and leave them outside. If they sneak up on me they're dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

I'm not one for killing them. What's slightly worrying though is that they seem to be getting bigger every year! Certainly dont entertain the idea of eating one while asleep! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

I do squash the stupid ones from time to time, cos they've got no comeback - you know who they are. basically nothing more than insignificant little balls on legs that bob from time to time. Probs inspiration for HG wells

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

madcabbage wrote: »
    Certainly dont entertain the idea of eating one while asleep! :eek:
    This should calm your fears

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Leave them alone. If on the other hand you see a coniving little FF pr1ck ambing up yor driveway. Kill the fucker. on sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I don't kill or remove spiders in the house, there's a large false widow (These actually bite :eek:) in the bathroom under the window sill. It must be a resident for over a year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

This should calm your fears

At least I won't go hungry so! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I am terrified of them. The big ones with the antlers, not the piddly ones. The ones that move faster than I do, and always come directly at you. They scare the sh(te of of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Am TERRIFIED of spiders but I would never kill one I just scream hoping they'll get the hint or leave them there. Oh god is it spider time again?:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

jester77 wrote: »
    Fry them, I had a plate of spiders for lunch recently while in Asia, they make a decent snack and taste alright
    Absolute disaster when eggs hatched in the tractor. Baby spiders all over everything and I kept having to move them onto the floor as the were hanging down the front of my cap in front of my face.

:(:( Oh mammy no sleep for me tonight I'm scratching already

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭cassElliot

kill them......

.......... it's kill or be killed. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Anyone ever get them giant garden spiders, we had a rash of them last year. The biggest ones would have a hard time sitting in the palm of your hand, and their legs actually make noise when they run across tiles or wood. Apparently they are the fastest or second fastest spiders in the world, and yes they can give you a nasty nip.

I managed to trap one in an oversized coffee jar and deposited him a half mile away, the next day he was back knocking at the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Hoover em up or hop a book off them. I feckin hate them. Demons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

set the dog on them. They dont last long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

A big thanks to this thread for giving me a very restless/ itchy nights sleepy :( Especially you, Doc Ruby your lovely description made me want to vomit :O

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i like to strangle them with their own silken webs

Doc Ruby wrote: »

I managed to trap one in an oversized coffee jar and deposited him a half mile away, the next day he was back knocking at the window.

i bet that was his wife you turned her into a black widow cos the spider you dropped off half a mile away died after being eaten by a bird :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Met my first hand-sized furry tarantula last month in the worst circumstances possible.

Visiting a friend in a remote area, need to use the loo. Go into the bathroom, lock the door, pull down pants and sit on toilet. Glance up and see a GIANT FURRY BEAST OF A SPIDER on the inside of the door that I have just LOCKED.

Panic stations, try to pull my pants up and then of course the door lock was stuck... had to jiggle it to unlock the door which upsets the spider who starts MOVING HIS GIANT LEGS TO ATTACK ME. Got out alive albeit slightly hysterical.

Didn't sleep for about a week ffs. :mad:

sorry but had to add this :)

Susie_Q wrote: »
    Met my first hand-sized furry tarantula last month in the worst circumstances possible.

Visiting a friend in a remote area, need to use the loo. Go into the bathroom, lock the door, pull down pants and sit on toilet. Glance up and see a GIANT FURRY BEAST OF A SPIDER on the inside of the door that I have just LOCKED.

Panic stations, try to pull my pants up and then of course the door lock was stuck... had to jiggle it to unlock the door which upsets the spider who starts MOVING HIS GIANT LEGS TO ATTACK ME. Got out alive albeit slightly hysterical.

Didn't sleep for about a week ffs. :mad:

That's my worst nightmare :(

I was wearing shorts in bed one night and felt something tickle my leg... Thought it was just the sheets but when i put my hand down to inspect I ended up with a giant black hairy f*****r in my hand :(

Needless to say, I threw him across the room, I darted to the other side screaming... My parents came running up stairs to see what had happened, only to find me in hysterics, crying and unable to talk. They didn't know what had happened me for about 20 minutes til I calmed down... They laughed :(

Didn't sleep in my own bed for about 3 weeks... And I check the bed every single night now... Just in case :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I dont really mind spiders, i do suck them up with the hoover or wash them down the bath/basin, but i do catch others and pop them outside, i dont ever squish spiders. My husband doesn't like spiders, so i have to deal with them. If there is a big black one in a room he will refuse to go in that room.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

inmyday wrote: »
    What would people say if I did that to a lovely cute puppy???

Why is it alright to kill a spider? especially in Ireland as we have no spiders that are any harm to humans, except pet spiders of course.

Why do people kill insects for no reason? It doesnt make any sense to me. Very cruel.

Have a look at the front of your car. Are you saying that dead flys on it is the same as driving through a "swarm" of puppies?

No idea what the collective noun for puppies. But swarm works for me. Would be the best "swarm" to ever get attacked by

felt sick for a few hours the other day, thought I was getting a bad flu - muscles ached and felt nauseous...had two bites - one on my arm and the other on my ankle.
    Felt like a dead arm and my ankle was swollen like I had twisted it. Only the muscles were sore the swelling didnt hurt. Swelling lasted 5 days and the muscle aches 4 days and the nausea about 2 or 3 hours.

Found the spider in the apartment afterwards. Killing it was hard because it was so freaking fast. No idea what type of spider it was only that it was small.

Goddamn. Tropical Australia still rocks though! Totally worth not having a winter

:-)

second time ive been bitten by a damn spider here though! :P

So to summarize, here I kill them everytime to prevent them killing me. If I were back in Ireland I would have tended to let them out but now my mind has changed. Kill them everytime just in case natural selection/evolution makes an Irish spider deadly poisonous. You wouldnt want them to breed would you?

muhuhahahahah! (evil chuckling)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Sar_Bear wrote: »
    That's my worst nightmare :(

I was wearing shorts in bed one night and felt something tickle my leg... Thought it was just the sheets but when i put my hand down to inspect I ended up with a giant black hairy f*****r in my hand :(

Needless to say, I threw him across the room, I darted to the other side screaming... My parents came running up stairs to see what had happened, only to find me in hysterics, crying and unable to talk. They didn't know what had happened me for about 20 minutes til I calmed down... They laughed :(

Didn't sleep in my own bed for about 3 weeks... And I check the bed every single night now... Just in case :o

Went on holidays to the south of france and there were these giant grasshopper things they were everywhere and could get into the mobile, kids were petrified of them, we had to search the place each night to make sure there were none in their room.

But what really drives the kids mad are bees, they are terrified of them, but every flying insect to them is a bee, so if they see a midget they run screaming that the bees are after them. we have a tin of fly spray for them. Ive tried showing them the difference between a bee, wasp and fly but to no avail. If its a flying thing they are scared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

<Resident Amateur Arachnologist>
    Indoor spiders and outdoor spiders are completely different and have evolved for different environments. Indoor spiders are adapted to near constant weather and low food supply. Outdoor spiders are adapted to variant weather and plentiful food supply.

Outdoor spiders can't live indoors and vice versa. If you put an indoor spider outside it will die.

Another tidbit of information, those big spiders you see around the place (Tegenaria Gigantea) aren't from the outside, they live in your house year round, it's just you only notice them at certain times of the year (generally autumn)

</Resident Amateur Arachnologist>

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    <Resident Amateur Arachnologist>

Another tidbit of information, those big spiders you see around the place (Tegenaria Gigantea) aren't from the outside, they live in your house year round, it's just you only notice them at certain times of the year (generally autumn)

</Resident Amateur Arachnologist>

Great... Thanks for that... -_-

In Ireland I'll never kill them. Either leave them be or out the back. When across the pond I'll kill them if I think they are poisonous. Especially black widows. The shiny bastards.

you fool! What if some irish spider evolves super venom and you release it upon us all!

Advertisement