Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV solution

• 28-03-2012 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi all,

Here's my current situation.

4 tv points in the house with RTE terrestrial feed. About to expire soon.
    1 of which has sky dish free view channels only fed to it. Also about to expire soon too... thanks to the ever increasing growth on a tree which as of last summer is now blocking the signal when leafs grow back!!

My ideal solution would be free viewing of freeview channels & RTE package available to all points in house. Preferably from a central box perhaps located behind the main tv or the attic that would allow independent changing of channels.

Is this possible? Am I hoping for too much? I do remember someone telling me they had a set up in their attic that fed to the whole house some years back. But I can't remember the details.

Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,736 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

You say your terrestrial and Sky FTA are about to expire soon, is this because of the leaves on the tree or are you a UPC cable or MMDS subscriber (as you've posted in the cable forum)?

The Saorview channels require a Saorview TV or STB each TV point, the Freesat channels require a satellite receiver at each TV point if you require independent changing of channels at each tv point.

If you're losing your existing terrestrial and satellite signal because of nearby trees you may have to relocate the satellite dish / terrestrial aerial or get rid of the offending trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭VirtualWorld

Thankyou for the reply. I posted here because I felt the solution may well be found here. I have a satellite feed but perhaps the solution may not be satellite.

Yes the free channels from sky will be gone soon thanks to the tree. And yes I could relocate the dish. That option hasn't been discarded yet. It would keep the freebies going in the main living room. It doesn't meet the ideal world scenario I was wishing for though. I have not got saor view yet. Perhaps the solution might include this with the other free to air channels.

The RTE channels are coming in via an aerial which will expire soon when the world as we know it ceases to exist in favour of Saorview. Tree is of no relevance there.

So beyond satellite and saor view then... are there other options that would permit multi room viewing from a single box?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭1dave

what im going doing. 6 rooms with tv pionts. putting up a sky dish with quad lnb. two feeds to sitting room and two to the attic. put 2 sky boxes in the attic for the free sat channels. the 2 in the sitting room for a moded s.y + box for free sat channels and recording.. using the 3 rf2 off the 3 boxes in to a global spc4. ( so i wont be changing channels on all boxes at the same time when i use the magic eyes.) connect the aerial in next (to the output of the global spc4) and then into a 6 way tv link amp. and on to the 6 rooms. a magic eye and cheapest terrestrial boxes i can get in all rooms with tv. the sitting room ill get a saorview tv or saorview box for teletext. this way you only have to wire the satellite and boxes and not the hole house. the 3 sky boxes 160. global spc4 40 . 6 way amp 40 . 3magic eyes 24( 3rooms with tvs). cheap terrestrial stb 35 each. (you may have to doctor the faceplates to let the 9v current through to work the magic eyes. im not setting up digital terrestrial till its needed just checked i can get it with 1 cheap terrestrial digital box. to reduce cost for the time been. not done yet but that is the plan. im not sure if the sky boxes and aerial in the attic can be looped in to the signal going up from the sitting room. there is only 1 cable sitting room to attic and to send the signal properly you need another feed. if it wont work run the aerial signal down the sat feed to sitting room and then up the rf2 to attic to have terrestrial in all rooms. i think thats right but its only an opinion at the moment. if you go down the freeview and saorview root until the analogue is turned off the freeview signal is only a guess. so you would be better to wait. hope that helps .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Nice one 1dave, but are you sure it's that simple to do? That just sounds too easy to me!

well im hoping some 1 will correct if im wrong me but yea i think so. 1 thing im not sure on is can the 9v needed to run the magiic eyes can damage the terrestrial stb. i have at present an aerial connected to sat feed and seperated at the sky box going into terr.. digital stb and then using the loop through it to put it into the sky box next and onto the other tv through the rf2 and i got analogue rte on second tv and freesat channels with magic eye. so its just a bigger version. i think the 1 cable from sitting room to atticis the only other problem. and i think if i will get the picture but no remote functions for the boxes in the attic. let us no what u do.;)

• Advertisement

if you do it this sort of way. take off all face plates and get rid of the circuit boards and put on f connectors and then a joiner . use f connector magic eyes for better connections. keep the rf2 channels on sky boxs at least 2 channels away from each other. set up all 3 sky boxes in the sitting room so you have a tv to see the setting you are setting and check in another room that all is good. the code to get into switch on the rf2 is services 001 select or services 401 select. and you see rf2 channel. they are set to 68 to start. if you use an amp the amp will power the rf2s so leave the power off.

Advertisement