Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solutions for Mobile 3G in France?

Options
  • 28-03-2012 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi

Rather than just using free wifi in MacD's & on campsites where provided, has anyone on here sorted out mobile 3G in France?

Obviously I could use data-roaming with my Irish number if I win the lotto....http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/frown.gif

Is it possible to buy a pay as you go dongle in France? I would assume it is?

If anyone has done this before - I came across this thread in another boards forum but it's a little old.

So if anyone has any MH friendly mobile 3G tips I'd be real grateful, like!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AutostratusEB

Just to say that SFR France are doing a "3G Clé" for €29.95. Its pre-pay and available in their shops. It's similar to the USB keys we have here.Took me 10 mins to sign up.

Comes with 2 days unlimited 3G access and then you can top up online or buy buying a voucher in a store.

There's no contract and its valid for 2 years. Worked for me. Just a heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I'm interested in this too... Any companies in France where u can buy a 3G pay as you go sim for a smart phone??
    Surely they would be comparable to here..20 euro here with 3 gets you a month free data... Would be v handy for using google maps sending webtexts emails etc while away.
    Marty.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    I'm interested in this too... Any companies in France where u can buy a 3G pay as you go sim for a smart phone??
    Surely they would be comparable to here..20 euro here with 3 gets you a month free data... Would be v handy for using google maps sending webtexts emails etc while away.
    Marty.

I looked into this also, I found the info on a aussie backpacker site. SFR are the place to go. Go into an SFR France shop and ask for a "kit d'access pour un iPhone". This is a French SIM and costs around €15. This will give you a prepay iphone basically. After that its getting a "recharge iphone" top up voucher.

I haven't done this myself but can't imagine its too difficult. My French isn't great at all and I managed to sort the 3G USB stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Marty.

I looked into this also, I found the info on a aussie backpacker site. SFR are the place to go. Go into an SFR France shop and ask for a "kit d'access pour un iPhone". This is a French SIM and costs around €15. This will give you a prepay iphone basically. After that its getting a "recharge iphone" top up voucher.

I haven't done this myself but can't imagine its too difficult. My French isn't great at all and I managed to sort the 3G USB stick.

Merci beaucoup!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Would the iPhone SIM work in an iPad or would it be better to have the 3G USB SIM card cut to fit in an iPad??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Just to say that SFR France are doing a "3G Clé" for €29.95. Its pre-pay and available in their shops. It's similar to the USB keys we have here.Took me 10 mins to sign up.

Comes with 2 days unlimited 3G access and then you can top up online or buy buying a voucher in a store.

There's no contract and its valid for 2 years. Worked for me. Just a heads up.

Hi Autostratus,
    I see what you mention quoted above, but I also see that you say "Go into an SFR France shop and ask for a "kit d'access pour un iPhone". Just to clarify, did you get a USB dongle to plug into your laptop, or a SIM card meaning you need an extra phone, which your laptop then tethers off?

thanks

kelbal wrote: »

Hi Autostratus,
    I see what youu mention quoted above, but I also see that you say "Go into an SFR France shop and ask for a "kit d'access pour un iPhone". Just to clarify, did you get a USB dongle to plug into your laptop, or a SIM card meaning you need an extra phone, which your laptop then tethers off?

thanks

Hiya,
    Yes it was a USB dongle - about €19.99 if I remember. Came with some free access, but buying minutes was pretty straightforward, I'd recommend buying a top up with your initial purchase just to get on the system.

I did look into a way of changing your iPhone over to French 3G and I remember that being fairly easy too though I didn't do it myself at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Hiya,
    Yes it was a USB dongle - about €19.99 if I remember. Came with some free access, but buying minutes was pretty straightforward, I'd recommend buying a top up with your initial purchase just to get on the system.

I did look into a way of changing your iPhone over to French 3G and I remember that being fairly easy too though I didn't do it myself at the time.

great thanks, I was never really looking out for SFR shops on previous trips. I assume they're common enough.

Advertisement