Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV-free pubs in Dublin: name them!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

adamski8 wrote: »
    I probably am not correct with all of these but afaik these dont have any

the brazen head, bridge street

They do have one in the bar on the RHS as you walk in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

hXci wrote: »
    Does Sin É have one?

Sin É didn't have one but then when it closed and reopened under new management I think they put in one or two. Not sure if I've ever seen them turned on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

will have to take a trip down to the mulligan grocer again sometime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

cozski wrote: »
    Hughes (Chancery Street)
    Dice Bar (Benburb Street)

The Dice Bar does have one, if not 2. They aren't on all that often, albeit, and the sound would definitely be muted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Coming up to Italia '90 there was a bit of media publicity about pubs which didn't have a TV. Most appeared to give in prior to the finals. I recall Ryan's of Parkgate Street being mentioned. Not sure if they still have none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Coming up to Italia '90 there was a bit of media publicity about pubs which didn't have a TV. Most appeared to give in prior to the finals. I recall Ryan's of Parkgate Street being mentioned. Not sure if they still have none.

No, unfortunately they now have 2 or 3.

D.

du Maurier wrote: »
    The Dice Bar does have one, if not 2. They aren't on all that often, albeit, and the sound would definitely be muted.

Really? Where?

I go in there regularly and couldn't tell you where there's a set - having said that it is dark in there!

I have definitely never seen a TV set turned on in there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 redstar bellend

Merryploughboy 95% sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

The Stag's Head does have TVs.. at least one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

And what about a list of pubs which don't have live music and ban singing from customers. Nothing worse than being in a TV free pub and then being asked to "sshush" because some drunk who thinks he's Finbar Furey what to let rip or someone else produces a pair of spoons. Give me a loud wide screen TV anytime.

My response always is, "if you were any good I'd shut up and listem".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Merryploughboy 95% sure!
    Yes but it could hardly be described as being in Dublin City!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I dont see city in the title.

The clue is in the name of the forum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 redstar bellend

Very true killbill, i sincerely apologise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 hXci

Really? Where?

I go in there regularly and couldn't tell you where there's a set - having said that it is dark in there!

Inside the front door on the left, in the window if I remember correctly. I was there for one of the six nations games and it was on, although the sound was down!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    Let's compile the first ever list of tv-free pubs in Dublin (2012).
    So far we have:
    The Gravediggers
    Grogan's
    W.J. Kavanagh
    L. Mulligan Grocer
    Against the Grain
    The Black Sheep
    The Twisted Pepper
    Kennedy's on the quays
    The Market Bar
    Bachelors Walk
    Anseo
    Hughes's, Chancery Street
    Arthur's, Thomas Street

What about Whelan's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Really? Where?

I definitely had half an eye on a game that was on a few months ago. There is one above the door at the entrance closer to Smithfield.

During the World Cup they had another TV up by the bar, near the toilets.

du Maurier wrote: »
    I definitely had half an eye on a game that was on a few months ago. There is one above the door at the entrance closer to Smithfield.

During the World Cup they had another TV up by the bar, near the toilets.

Shows how observant I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Twisted pepper has one in the top room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

And what about a list of pubs which don't have live music and ban singing from customers.

Surely you can make such a list/thread, if that particular issue bothers you? As far as I can see pubs with tvs blaring through speakers in effect ban the art of conversation in an Irish pub much more than a customer singing on his seat without a mic could possibly do.
    Nothing worse than being in a TV free pub and then being asked to "sshush" because some drunk who thinks he's Finbar Furey what to let rip or someone else produces a pair of spoons. Give me a loud wide screen TV anytime.

1) There is, in fact, plenty worse. Like having to listen to the incessant gibberish from, among others, random overpaid soccer commentators talking about random overpaid soccer players while you're trying to have a quiet conversation with somebody you personally know in the same pub.

2) Moreover, why you think the choice is between having a tv/televisions blaring across a pub or having somebody drunk singing is a baffling display of logic. Are you seriously trying to contend that if the tv is not blaring somebody drunk will start singing? Perhaps you need to choose your pubs more carefully.

I'm trying to choose mine more carefully, namely ones which allow me to talk without the noise of television intruding, which is the purpose of this list.

Thank you to everybody who has added to the list so far. Keep them coming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

Might not strictly qualify as pubs, but the bars in most good hotels don't have TVs or music

Horseshoe (Shelbourne)
    Cellar Bar (Merrion)
    Fitzwilliam
    Browns Drury St
    Central Hotel (been a while since I was there, so I might be wrong)
    Morrison
    Dylan
    Westbury

To name but a few.

Bruce7 wrote: »
    Dylan
    Dylan terrace features 2 flat screen tv’s the perfect place for watching sporting events.
    Link

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

1) There is, in fact, plenty worse. Like having to listen to the incessant gibberish from, among others, random overpaid soccer commentators talking about random overpaid soccer players while you're trying to have a quiet conversation with somebody you personally know in the same pub.

So its football you don't like?

Vast majority of TVs are on in the background with the commentary not audible in my experience. Changes for Irish internationals or similarly big events. Standard run of the mill games are different though. Try meeting them on a Friday or Saturday night. I guarentee you 90% of Dublin pubs won't have the volume turned up for Rovers/Bohs tonight (I'd guess 60% of them won't have it on)
    2) Moreover, why you think the choice is between having a tv/televisions blaring across a pub or having somebody drunk singing is a baffling display of logic. Are you seriously trying to contend that if the tv is not blaring somebody drunk will start singing?
    It was a throw away line. Calm down. its an internet forum. Discussions evolve. You're getting plenty of answers, why focus on the smart comment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

BeerNut wrote: »

That's the terrace. I don't remember there being a TV in the bar and my wife used to drag me there quite a lot a few years ago, but I haven't been there in a good while.

I think I remember a tv being on in the Westbury behind the bar during a 6n match once but this was before they did it up, so not sure if it's still there. If it is, it's never on.

Dodge wrote: »
    So its football you don't like?

It's others people's interests being forced into my ears incessantly when I go a pub that I don't like. That this happens to usually be caused by interest in commercial soccer is incidental, but the sole cause of my increasing dislike for the tv soccer industry. If it were tiddly winks/hurling/basketball I'd feel precisely the same.

Dodge wrote: »
    Vast majority of TVs are on in the background with the commentary not audible in my experience.

Not in my experience. It's usually also several tvs located across the pub that have the same game roaring so there's no escape for people who want to chat in peace.

there's no escape for people who want to chat in peace.
    No front door?

No front door?

Don't give up the day job. :rolleyes:

Seriously though: I do not understand why you would be drinking in a pub that didn't suit you, for whatever reason. Dublin isn't short of pubs. When the match goes on, or the band starts up or whatever, drink up and move on.

Spending money in a pub with loud football tells the landlord that loud football is what gets the punters in and spending money.

Seriously though: I do not understand why you would be drinking in a pub that didn't suit you, for whatever reason. Dublin isn't short of pubs. When the match goes on, or the band starts up or whatever, drink up and move on.

Spending money in a pub with loud football tells the landlord that loud football is what gets the punters in and spending money.

That's precisely what I do. The problem arises when every pub in an area is showing a match, often on a random midweek night (with very few people actually watching it but that's by the by). There is a lack of choice. Ranelagh is an example of a place where we couldn't find a tv-free pub recently and ended up settling on the least loud of them all.

Does anybody know of any tv-free pub in Ranelagh, for instance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

So far we have:
    The Gravediggers
    Grogan's
    W.J. Kavanagh
    L. Mulligan Grocer
    Against the Grain
    The Black Sheep
    The Twisted Pepper
    Kennedy's on the quays