Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Needing help with break lights (car)

Options
  • 28-03-2012 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

You would think that google could help me solve this problem but it appers to me now that maybe just maybe google doesn't know everything? :D

I drive a mitsubishi mirage and it's been off the road for a few years. about two weeks ago I decided to get it repaired (bodywork only needing repairs)

My problem is, My break lights wont work! I'v gone through every fuse, there all fine! I checked the light connecter the dash board and it's connect and as fine as I can tell.

Today the battery started getting drained and by tonight it coughed and coughed before she finally turned over.

I think it's to do with the earth wire.. maybe disconnected or snapped??

Has anyone any idea how I can check for this? I honestly have no Idea where to begine looking.

I'm beginging to feel like a headless chicken yano.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

First things first, check the bulbs. If ok, check if you have 12volts at the brake light switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ironwill

I can't do anything else tonight, it's dark and autoparts is closed. I'll update the thread tomorrow. Thanks johnayo

Well it turns out it was only the sencer just above the break peddle, My friend did a manual job so it was even costfree :)

I'm still having battery problems tho, It does start every morning but with a little struggle.

Maybe you can help me with this.. The indercater on the left wing is broken, the wire is snapped so obiviously no bulb is connected.. can that drain the battery? I have got eletric tape around the wire.

I'v a little idea about cars but I'm no macanic

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A broken indicator or wire should not drain the battery as no electricity is used for anything (as long as the end of the wire is taped).
    Not many here are proper mechanics, we're just DIYers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

ironwill wrote: »
    Well it turns out it was only the sencer just above the break peddle, My friend did a manual job so it was even costfree :)

I'm still having battery problems tho, It does start every morning but with a little struggle.

Maybe you can help me with this.. The indercater on the left wing is broken, the wire is snapped so obiviously no bulb is connected.. can that drain the battery? I have got eletric tape around the wire.

I'v a little idea about cars but I'm no macanic

Sounds like your battery is knackered. Stick a voltmeter across it and see what you get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

The starting problem is a little trickier as we cannot be sure whats happening with the info given. As already suggested, most likely cause is a dodgy battery. If you dont have the capacity to check the battery then probably best to get it checked by someone that does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

another option, disconnect battery every night. make sure , youll be able start your car in morning, until youll find, what problem is, what is draining battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Most motor factors will load test your battery FOC.

Well got a new battery, and turns out you were right.. Light's fixed and battery not dying make my first mission complete :D

Thanks for your help and time!

Advertisement