Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope question

Options
  • 28-03-2012 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I haven't been posting here a lot in the past year as I had a few health issues. Anyway as some of you will know one of my rifles is a Gamo Viper Max, I know now that they would not be considered a serious air rifle, but I got to use one in Spain for a few weeks prior to making my first application, so I stuck to what I know.

Anyway I have gone through at least 3 scopes with it, none of them cheap, but even after getting the shop to replace one, the scopes keeps messinng up. As a springer there is a strong recoil from it, what happens is the POI keeps getting lower and lower until there is no adjustagment space left on the dial.

Another time the crosshairs went from + to x:eek: I decided to try Tallaght Gun and Rod for some ammo, while I was ther I asked about a scope he was suggesting a Gamo MD 6/24/50.

As this is the scope Gamo recommend for their rifles, it seems to be a good choice; however, anyone any experience of this scope. Or even a recommendation for a different scope, but it will have t be able withstand the very strong recoil/impact when it is fired.

After the last scope went I swore I wasn't paying for another scope and have just been using the iron sights. The are offering me a "deal" on it at 160euro. I don't know if I am prepared to spend that type of cash again, unless I change the rifle. So anyone any thought?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Are you sure it's not an issue with the mounts? What's the system- picatinny/dovetail and did you use the same mount setup on all the scopes? Seems strange that all 3 scopes have had the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Are the scopes you've used in the past actually rated for use on springers?

A lot of the cheaper scopes, and even some of the more expensive ones, simply aren't.

Take a look towards Hawke & Bushnell - as far as I know, they're all suitable for use on spring powered rifles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Just to add that I'm using a couple of Bushnell Banner scopes the 6-18x50 on my 22lr and 4-12x40 on my .38spl/.357mag lever action. Both are good and will focus down to a little under 10yards.

If you read the good reviews on the likes of Cabelas in the US on these scopes you will see that people are using them on .270's, .308's and .300 win mags so I would say that they will do well on your springer air rifle.

They can be got for under €200 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I thought the issue with spring Air rifles is that the recoil is in the opposite direction to the recoil that a cartridge rifle produces.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Aye, springers have a reputation for tearing apart quality scopes in a way that even hard-kicking cartridge rifles don't. Something to do with the nature of the recoil and the moving parts in the rifle. I'd go straight to the manufacturer and ask what they'd recommend (Although you're obviously going to get recommended to use their own product if they also make optics) or to the manufacturer of the scope to ensure they're safe to use on spring airguns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Interesting read here

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭scoobydoo07

As the the other lads have suggested a good Hawke or Bushnell Banner scope would be the best.As regards the "Deal" on the Gamo scope ! walk away as that is a disgraceful price for a low end quality scope and T&R&G know it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Odysseus wrote: »
    Anyway I have gone through at least 3 scopes with it, none of them cheap, but even after getting the shop to replace one, the scopes keeps messinng up.
    Odysseus,
    If you don't mind, what scopes have you been using?

I understand the double recoil problem inherent in springers, but thought modern scopes had solved it, I guess not.

High powered rifle scopes just aren't going to get that second recoil of spring on receiver.

The 50 cal's with muzzle breaks have a similar scope problem.

Have you checked out the Leupold Air Rifle line?

How much are you looking to spend?

Advertisement