Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving off after damage

Options
  • 28-03-2012 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

To the lady that smashed my wing mirror off my car today and kept driving, thank you very much. I was collecting my daughter from school today at 1.30 from St. Kevins and my car was parked outside along with the rest of them and when I came back it was smashed off. Another lady came over to me and said she saw the car with a female driver, it was a grey Yaris and she drove by my car and smashed the mirror off, glanced out the passenger window and continued driving. She was driving up the hill with the school to her left. I'm furious :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

would you recognize her if you saw her again?

likely shes a local so keep an eyer out for her and her car and you can report her reg to the gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭amy1plus2

I didn't see it happening, I was in at the school pick-up point. The lady that witnessed it didn't really get a good look at the driver either. I did think it was bit pointless to phone the Gardai because I don't really have any info apart from the type of car

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Unfortunately these things happen and you can't do much about it, parking outside schools is often dreadful and I've heard of this type of thing before.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

how were you parked? I've seen some horrendous parking outside schools

I was parked the same as the other 20 or so cars that were and are there 3 times per day, 5 days per week. The only horrendous thing is that someone would damage someone else's car and then knowingly continue driving. I realise there's not much I can do about it. I also realise I do not have the funds to pay for a new wing mirror...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OP - something similar happened to me a while ago - like you I didn't have the funds but my insurance covered the repairs with no impact to my no claims.

Back to the parking though, I did not think there was space for 20 cars to park legally on Rathdown road outside the brothers. I know they have parking inside with limited set down outside.

If you are going to go the insurance route I think you will still need to go and make a statement to the gardai. Failing that you could also see about getting a 2nd hand mirror from a breakers yard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

Would these be the same 20 or so cars that are parked illegally on the footpath because their owners are too lazy to walk their kids to and from the school?
    You have to accept at least half the blame for partially obstructing the roadway, and you should have pushed in your wing mirror anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

I would suggest indeed trying a breakers, ebay etc. A few years ago I clipped a tree branch and smashed an expensive electric mirror.

A replacement from the main dealer was €€€ so I got a new replica from an online motor factors and just had to pay for colour match spraying but was at least 60% less in price than from a dealer including the painting.

As for parking on pavements, I walk to the train station each morning with young children and EVERYONE at some stage is guilty of parking on pavements.

That topic is best for another thread I would think - IMO

d2ww wrote: »
    Would these be the same 20 or so cars that are parked illegally on the footpath because their owners are too lazy to walk their kids to and from the school?
    You have to accept at least half the blame for partially obstructing the roadway, and you should have pushed in your wing mirror anyway.

Laziness has nothing to do with the fact that I drive my children to school, time does, 3 different drop-off's and a need to get to work on time. Honestly some people would try to be controversial about anything for the sake of it. Where would you suggest people park when taking their children to school? The designated area is purely for drop-off's. There is nowhere to park and take 3 children out of a car, go into the school and come back out ten minutes later. Your obviously an A+ Parent that makes no errors, go you.
    Thanks for the other advice however re; insurance company and Gardai, I do think Ill take a trip down to report it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

amy1plus2 wrote: »
    Laziness has nothing to do with the fact that I drive my children to school, time does, 3 different drop-off's and a need to get to work on time. Honestly some people would try to be controversial about anything for the sake of it. Where would you suggest people park when taking their children to school? The designated area is purely for drop-off's. There is nowhere to park and take 3 children out of a car, go into the school and come back out ten minutes later. Your obviously an A+ Parent that makes no errors, go you.
    Thanks for the other advice however re; insurance company and Gardai, I do think Ill take a trip down to report it today.

maybe you should take that up with the school.... as the poster above said you were parked illegally so next time you have the side of your car stuck out on the road take precautions like moving the mirror in.... the roads are tight enough around greystones as it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Seriously people - the attitude on this thread is unreal... Greystones/Charlesland forum is becoming a very unfriendly place to be.

Having a go at a mother dropping children off to school in a LEGALLY parked spot - yes it is legal no double yellows or continuous white lines for the majority of that road where people park at all...

Everyone who knows the area will know that you take special care at school times....

The sun is shining lets all get on and stop searching for a row...

dubsgirl wrote: »
    Seriously people - the attitude on this thread is unreal... Greystones/Charlesland forum is becoming a very unfriendly place to be.

Having a go at a mother dropping children off to school in a LEGALLY parked spot - yes it is legal no double yellows or continuous white lines for the majority of that road where people park at all...

Everyone who knows the area will know that you take special care at school times....

The sun is shining lets all get on and stop searching for a row...

I think the point is, despite where any of us park, a person causing damage to another persons property really ought to stop and own up.
    I do of course know I live in cloud-cuckoo land and no one in ANY town stops and leaves a note when causing damage!

How many of us have supermarket trolley dents in our car doors and that's when parked in clearly marked out spaces!
    The human race is not the perfect species sadly and as Dubs said, time to move on and enjoy the sunshine.

Yes some people are ignorant, yes some people can't drive, yes some people like to pick a fight for no reason other than their broadband is working well.

Life happens....I'm broke but I'm healthy and my car is cr*p. Enjoy the sun!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Quackhart

Bad luck that.

www.kilcockcardismantlers.com
    www.duffybrossalvage.com/

Amy1plus2. Either of these companies should be able to sort you out. They both have part request forms on their sites. Cost wise as posted elsewhere will entriely rely on the type of wing mirror (Electric / Manual)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Whether you are parked legally or not it is the moving car that has is to blame should there be a collision. You might end up getting a parking ticket but the person driving must be able to avoid you.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

I had to have a wing mirror on my car (chevrolet lacetti) replaced when I was having it serviced. Can't remember what it cost exactly but it wasn't big money. Clive, bless him, unclipped the old one and clipped in the new one in about 3 mins. People damaging cars and driving off is just a case of moral poverty. As for the trolls giving off about you parking blah blah blah they are trolls, that is what they do. Ignore them.

How to start an argument on the internet:

1. Express an opinion.

2. Wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

conlof wrote: »
    I had to have a wing mirror on my car (chevrolet lacetti) replaced when I was having it serviced. Can't remember what it cost exactly but it wasn't big money. Clive, bless him, unclipped the old one and clipped in the new one in about 3 mins. People damaging cars and driving off is just a case of moral poverty. As for the trolls giving off about you parking blah blah blah they are trolls, that is what they do. Ignore them.

How to start an argument on the internet:

1. Express an opinion.

2. Wait.

Do not accuse other posters of Trolling again. If you have an issue with a post then report it. As per the charter if you have any problems with this warning PM me

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Car2318

To be fair to Conlof I think he was only trying to calm the situation and possibly cheer the OP up after all the negative vibs she received??
    Genders of posters assumed by the way......

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Commiserations Amy, you are clearly the victim here .

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

Do not accuse other posters of Trolling again. If you have an issue with a post then report it. As per the charter if you have any problems with this warning PM me

My apologies. It seemed obvious to me but it will not happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Posts about moderation have been deleted. As per the charter pm me with any feedback on moderation

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

On another note. Does anyone have trouble trying to get petrol at the Centra
    mornings lunch and afternoons? 4x4s people carriers parked all over the forecourt,
    While people bringing their kids to school:mad:They even park right outside on main road. Blocking the view of the road when you are exiting the garage. Plenty of parking down at the harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Bettyboop wrote: »
    On another note. Does anyone have trouble trying to get petrol at the Centra
    mornings lunch and afternoons? 4x4s people carriers parked all over the forecourt,
    While people bringing their kids to school:mad:They even park right outside on main road. Blocking the view of the road when you are exiting the garage. Plenty of parking down at the harbour.

Complain to Centra about the misuse of their forecourt then and state that they are losing business because of it. And if there are no double yellow lines outside it, are they not entitled to park there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

There are no double yellow lines on my lawn but you dont see people parking there! Common sense people!

St.Kevins and St.Patricks mom parking is terrible, parking on footpaths, forecourts, in Rathdown Park. No regard for anything for but getting the kids out of the car. Next you will be saying its ok to park anywhere you want if the hazard lights are on.

Your car was damaged because of your own inability to think of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

That doesn't give the person who damaged the mirror a reason to drive on regardless. She/he is bound by law to stop after colliding with another vehicle and report it to whoever.
    I agree that the parking of vehicles outside of schools leaves a lot to be desired.

And railway stations and bus lanes and airport drop off points etc.
    As was mentioned a long time ago...it's the driving off without stopping to leave contact details that's the issue and in most cases also an offence.

Hazard lights are commonly known as "stop anywhere lights" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

There are no double yellow lines on my lawn but you dont see people parking there! Common sense people!

St.Kevins and St.Patricks mom parking is terrible, parking on footpaths, forecourts, in Rathdown Park. No regard for anything for but getting the kids out of the car. Next you will be saying its ok to park anywhere you want if the hazard lights are on.

i'm male btw but i find this part highly insulting,just mothers is it???????????

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

This comment should be deleted for its absurdity.

Huntthe wrote: »
    This comment should be deleted for its absurdity.

+1 Absolutely ridiculous comment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

amy1plus2 wrote: »
    +1 Absolutely ridiculous comment :(

and a +8 for Mom instead of Ma or Mum :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

If your mirror was a colour coded then you should find a trace of your paint on her car!

Proof . . . . . .

Advertisement