Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chainsaws?

• 28-03-2012 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭

well lads, im buying a second hand chainsaw and saw a Husqvarna 235 for sale at 200, what do ye think. ill be using it to cut mainly timber for the fire, and general farm purposes. any other recomendations. my budget is 200-300 thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

kevthegaff wrote: »
    well lads, im buying a second hand chainsaw and saw a Husqvarna 235 for sale at 200, what do ye think. ill be using it to cut mainly timber for the fire, and general farm purposes. any other recomendations. my budget is 200-300 thanks:)

i got one for a prezzie, 150 euro i think but prob got up north.
    light and handy but small for cutting decent sized trees . if its your only saw i would go for a bigger (20-22" bar) saw
    dont get the ones with the plastic tightening thumb screw. they dont last. you can get them with the old type nut and screw mechanism. much better, esp for branching etc whereyou might want a slightly tighter chain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

I think the 236 is a newer model of that saw and that might just do you fine depends on the farm and how much firewood. They can be bought new for 275 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I bought a 236 for €210 last year. There is no reason to buy a second hand 235 for €200 when you can get a 236 at this price.

Its a great little saw. You can get them in 14" or 16". It punches way above its weight. its especially useful for logging timber up to 12" in diameter, for branching trees and general sawing of timber for a stove. Its really light, easy to start and very easy on fuel. I have a 365xp also and the 236 gets far more use than it these days.

Bought mine in Eddie McGuire's in dundalk. He is a husqvarna dealer. He sells them on ebay also

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Husqvarna-New-box-Chainsaw-236-16-Bar-Great-Price-Fast-Post-/140665723927?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item20c0549c17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

thnks ill be prob be buying that one sounds handy within budget:)

thnks ill be prob be buying that one sounds handy within budget:)
    Just rang that Eddie lad, he told me their only for trimming and not really farming, any other suggestions lad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'd look for an Oleo-mac 952 or 956 they are good strong saws and can work all day.
    I bought mine from a guy in a fair that was selling fasteners in bags, I think I paid 200 for it and it was nearly new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

He is right its a saw for your garden, not a farm. Maybe it could work as a back up saw as Reilig says but for an only saw,spend more or buy second hand.
    For that money you might be as well off looking in Argos. They had a Spear and Jackson there last year for a 100 euro or so and I was impressed on what it could do for the money. That said I only saw it work for two days?
    I would recommend a Husqvarna rancher though, it might cost a bit more but its the farmers saw and will always start like the sheep dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Dont know would I be buying a second hand saw to be honest.

two reasons. one a hell of a lot of them are stolen.

two you've no idea how they were treated or what sort of fuel mix was put through them.

if cashflow is an issue then consider one of the lidl/aldi saws with a three year warranty. keep killing them and getting new ones from lidl/aldi if needs be, and save up your pennies to buy a bigger saw by the end of the three years.

I got a husqvarna 460 rancher two years ago in a ploughing week promotion for €550 and am very happy with it, but to be honest wouldnt be the heaviest user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

i have a hutzie 142e 14" bar and its a great little saw. I have knocked a few trees with it and cut them up. I bought mine 5 years ago secoond hand for €250 ( it was never ever used when i bought it and it was bought in canada by the lad i bought it off) If i buy another bigger saw in time i will buy in USA or canada and ask them to send it in 2 parts. I know its missing EC marks but with chaps and boots and gloves sure there better than any EC marks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

We have an older model similar to this one. A bit more expensive but a great saw once it is looked after.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/gardenequipment/3124364

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Must try out one of those Husqvarnas, they seem to be popular which is always a good sign.

I saw a really nice Husky 254 for sale today for 325e
    They are an old saw now but will cut more than any new 50cc unless its a Pro-saw.
    This was a nice example.

where was it cj, id say im gona have to spend more money from the sounds of things:(

In a country market, I know the guy who was selling it.
    He sell Lawnmowers chainsaws and strimmers as a kind of part time job.
    300 isn't that dear for a good saw.
    Your back will thank you when a grunty saw does the work in 1/2 the time of a weak saw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 badger1971

Looking at chainsaws myself.Best value i've found and free delivery.

http://www.esaleslocal.com/husqvarna-all-round-chainsaws.htm

The 435 for £295 (€350 approx) looks a good buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AndrewON

badger1971 wrote: »
    Looking at chainsaws myself.Best value i've found and free delivery.

http://www.esaleslocal.com/husqvarna-all-round-chainsaws.htm

The 435 for £295 (€350 approx) looks a good buy.

Got one from this crowd before,not a Husky, good value, but when I had a problem with it a month or so later it was hassle getting it sorted as I live nowhere near them! Since bought a Husky 445 locally, for fairly general use around the farm, no complaints so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Pat Keeley

Was looking at the 445 myself, to use as a second saw, I've read pretty good reviews, AndrewON would you recommend it??????

• Registered Users Posts: 30 peter o reilly

you should allways consider a good shindaiwa 488 or 490 great japanese saw .I use jonsered all yhe time good saw too you should allways spend no less than 300 on good second hand saw

you would want a saw no less than 45cc for farm use i use a jonsered and think they are excellent saws I have being using saws for 30 years and will only use certain brands like husqvarna,jonsered, oleo mac are good too and japanese make called shindaiwa

just wondering has anyone tried to buy saw in america or canada on e bay lads tell me that tax is sore bringing it in is their any way round it i wonder

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 progarden

i tried to bring in one before. got stopped in customs.
    I thought that the tax was going to be bad, in fact making it more expensive than buying form an irish dealer.
    Instead they seized it as it didnt have a ce certificate coming from America and was not legal for safe use or emmissions in Europe. Very sore after it.
    Lesson learned very hard way. Went to a dealer shortly after and bought it nearly as cheap as i got it in America. Some dealers have big stock and you can get a big discount. one of the store groups have a chainsaw website like <snip> or one like it.
    i think their are the biggest in ireland and have the best discounts. you need to ring the stores though to get the lowest price.

The comapnys called <snip> owns the husqvarna centres in most big cities in Ireland. Cheapest saws in ireland and shops all around. they have <snip> for list of shops

the ssaws you need to look at are
    jonsered 2165 or husqvarna 365 special, they are the same saw and same company
    or a stihl 391 is the equivalent model in stihl.
    the husqvarna and jonsered both have a magnesium crank case and oil take as opposed to polycarbonate (plastic) on the stihl.
    The stihl is a very good strong saw and runs a heavier guage chain at 1.6 as opposed to 1.5 on the jonsered or husqvarna.
    power to weight rations are identical for all of these.
    however the husqvarna or jonsered develop slightly higher revs and kilowattage and cut a bit faster.
    in saying that the stihls are bullet proof reliability.
    you should be able to get the jonsered for approx 680 the husqvarna for about 720 or the stihl for about 700 if you haggle enough with a big enough dealer.
    inly the very big dealers get enough discount to give you these prices. try <snip> they are the biggest <snip> website will give you the store numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭johnny3

hi lads im looking for muffiler for a stihl 041 av electronic its a very old saw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/MUFFLER-STIHL-040-041-041G-CHAINSAWS-1110-140-0613-/250759508339?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a626e7173

johnny3 wrote: »
    hi lads im looking for muffiler for a stihl 041 av electronic its a very old saw

Advertisement