Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beer festival

Options
  • 28-03-2012 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

is there one coming up in cork soon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

7th and 8th April (Easter weekend) in Franciscan Well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Oktoberfest Beag usually happens for a week/10 days in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Franciscan are starting to hype their Festival up on Facebook. I'm starting to tremble with exitment - in the way some people covet wine, I adore beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

It is just sooo great when u have to wait for about 10 minutes to get a pint.... love it..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,025 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Diabhalta wrote: »
    It is just sooo great when u have to wait for about 10 minutes to get a pint.... love it..

so don't go.

• Advertisement

so don't go.

I defo won't don't worry...

On top of all that circus around the staff behind bar says something like: "four fifty" ... *ding dong* "alright kids, it's 2AM which means that you are going to bed soon - you there, finish your pint and go home!"

this is definitely a weird kind of drinking culture - overpriced s**t, people in front of pub telling you that you can't go in because they said so, and in final you simply go home (again, because somebody else decided instead of you - just like in the childhood) ... I wonder if people set their alarm clocks to get a last pint around 1:55 before the staff goes out for a cig at 2:01

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

On top of all that circus around the staff behind bar says something like: "four fifty" ... *ding dong* "alright kids, it's 2AM which means that you are going to bed soon - you there, finish your pint and go home!"

this is definitely a weird kind of drinking culture - overpriced s**t, people in front of pub telling you that you can't go in because they said so, and in final you simply go home (again, because somebody else decided instead of you - just like in the childhood) ... I wonder if people set their alarm clocks to get a last pint around 1:55 before the staff goes out for a cig at 2:01

Are you sure this is the Fran Well that you are on about? Seems a bit of an unfair statement about the place.

Anyway, really looking forward to this fest. Be a decent excuse to escape the library for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Why are you complaining about an event that you're not planning to attend?

I always really look forward to this - disappointed I can't make it this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

boo frickety hoo

Surely this rant is a little misplaced? Fair enough if we were talking about the general Irish night out culture, or maybe some places along washington street but this sort of negativity about a beer festival is just a bit mad.

Just a tip for ya - you wouldn't like the actual Munich Oktoberfest either by the sounds of it.

Anyway - I envy ye lads, if this weather holds out it would be savage. Haven't been to the fran well since my exile to Rimlick City :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Somebodys cranky cause they missed last call :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Sweet. I love these things, loads of fascinating drinks I'll have never seen before and yet are probably brewed less than a half hour's drive away.

tailgunner wrote: »
    Why are you complaining about an event that you're not planning to attend?

I'm talking generally about packed pubs and the whole f-ed up drinking culture in this country...
    langdang wrote: »
    Just a tip for ya - you wouldn't like the actual Munich Oktoberfest either by the sounds of it.

I'm sure that one litre glass of beer would last for some time.. and there won't be definitely two bars per 100 people..
    SomeFool wrote: »
    Somebodys cranky cause they missed last call :pac:

I haven't been in the pub until 2AM for at least a year.. Not interested. I don't want to be interrupted when I have a good time and I just want to go home when I decide to... I have some dignity and only person on this planet who has right to tell me what to do is my mother...
    ---

I'm not paying four fifty for beer because it is just dumb. I can afford it, but I regret throwing money away. And I like to have a joint when drinking which is almost impossible here to even roll one in the pub. Hiding and rolling on the toilet is really ridiculous....

I love beer and Beer fest is surely a nice event to attend, but definitely not under circumstances I mentioned above. People should do something about it, stop drinking in pubs for a month maybe? (somehting like not buying cds to show middle finger to music industry). And I really don'l like when bouncer is judging me from distance without even knowing who am I (and is already decided to tell me: "you had too much" ... wtf ??? )

Have you ever been to the franciscan well?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Jasus man was that really necessary...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Anyone know what time the beer fest at Fran Well runs to?

I've heard it starts at 2 today but no idea when it finishes.

Any idea?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

Presume it's regular bar hours so think it's 12:30 bar closed, everyone out for 1am. Unless they have a late license and I don't think they do!

Fuzz McG wrote: »
    Presume it's regular bar hours so think it's 12:30 bar closed, everyone out for 1am. Unless they have a late license and I don't think they do!

Thats the job!Thanks for that!

Never been to the Beer Fest before so wasnt sure if the beer stalls closed up early or not..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

woo! beer!
    try the ucc stuff, especially the morrits/morritz/morrisez
    y'know.. whatever one sounds like that.

wooo! sleep!

Went down for an hour or so yesterday and really enjoyed it. O' Hara's stout and Spelt Saison were highlights. The UCC stuff is well worth trying as well. Heading down later to try some more that I missed out on yesterday, provided they are not sold out. I was really annoyed that the Leann Foileann was sold out when I got there, which we were told was sold out after two hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I'm talking generally about packed pubs and the whole f-ed up drinking culture in this country...

I'm sure that one litre glass of beer would last for some time.. and there won't be definitely two bars per 100 people..

I haven't been in the pub until 2AM for at least a year.. Not interested. I don't want to be interrupted when I have a good time and I just want to go home when I decide to... I have some dignity and only person on this planet who has right to tell me what to do is my mother...
    ---

I'm not paying four fifty for beer because it is just dumb. I can afford it, but I regret throwing money away. And I like to have a joint when drinking which is almost impossible here to even roll one in the pub. Hiding and rolling on the toilet is really ridiculous....

I love beer and Beer fest is surely a nice event to attend, but definitely not under circumstances I mentioned above. People should do something about it, stop drinking in pubs for a month maybe? (somehting like not buying cds to show middle finger to music industry). And I really don'l like when bouncer is judging me from distance without even knowing who am I (and is already decided to tell me: "you had too much" ... wtf ??? )

Shut up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Dermighty wrote: »
    Shut up.

don't do that.

Just back form the Well. Most of the Irish brewers were there and got to try some very interesting beers. Metalman had a really good one called pacific gem. Well worth a try. Galway Hookers Opus II was also pretty good and the Franciscans Well's own Alpha Dawg was €10 well spent :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Easter Beer Fest on today, can't wait!

Hoping to head to it tomorrow night.. Was there last month for an ale fest and they ran out of everything by the 2nd night so couldn't have a 3rd night of it..

Hope this doesn't happen again!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Easter Beer Fest on today, can't wait!

See you there ;)

8 degrees kindred spirit and Galway hookers Bonaparte stout are my favourites so far this Easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

8 degrees kindred spirit and Galway hookers Bonaparte stout are my favourites so far this Easter.

Kindred Spirit is a fine pint, I had it a few weeks ago but had it again at the Easter Fest. I had the first drink out of the Fran Well's Jameson Stout at the Cask Fest, so I wouldn't be too hard on it but I preferred the Kindred Spirit. I wasn't a fan of the Bonaparte stout at all, very bland, very watery.

The star of the show for me was the Carraig Dubh on cask, really interesting pint.

Apart from that I headed to the Porterhouse to try their chocolate stout, lovely pint.

Great weekend! Such a huge selection there this year, all of which seemed to be on for the entire weekend, with very few selling out. The Dungarvan stuff was the highlight of the festival for me, especially the Coffee and Oatmeal Stout, Mahon Falls Rye and Helvick Gold (my favourite!). O'Hara's Double IPA, the mulled Cider from Stonewall and Hophead on cask were also lovely. I also had my first try of Kindred Spirit and I have to say that it's not a patch on the Jameson Stout, so was a little disappointed with that. And, as usual, the pizza was gorgeous!

Advertisement