Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown trout in a corrie lake

Options
  • 28-03-2012 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

A friend and I were doing a bit of mountain walking today and we came across a lovely corrie lake in the Comeragh Mountains. I saw a few fish rising and got talking, with the result being that I've been challenged by my mate to go back to the lake tomorrow and catch a fish of some sort. I did a bit of research online and their are apparently trout in this lake and it is occasionally fished, so at least I know my quarry!

Any thoughts on tactics? I know in the middle of the day with the weather being so bright won't be ideal, but I best give it a whirl. It looks fairly deep in places, so I'd be thinking that would be my best shot? There were an awful lot of minnows/sticklebacks active in the shallows. I can fly fish or bait fish. I have only ever fished rivers, hence why I am seeking advice. Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

Stuttgart wrote: »
    A friend and I were doing a bit of mountain walking today and we came across a lovely corrie lake in the Comeragh Mountains. I saw a few fish rising and got talking, with the result being that I've been challenged by my mate to go back to the lake tomorrow and catch a fish of some sort. I did a bit of research online and their are apparently trout in this lake and it is occasionally fished, so at least I know my quarry!

Any thoughts on tactics? I know in the middle of the day with the weather being so bright won't be ideal, but I best give it a whirl. It looks fairly deep in places, so I'd be thinking that would be my best shot? There were an awful lot of minnows/sticklebacks active in the shallows. I can fly fish or bait fish. I have only ever fished rivers, hence why I am seeking advice. Any help is much appreciated.

Howdy - good challange. I've fished a few places like this in Wicklow. I'd presume the fish are small but will probably hit a fly readily enough. Two pronged attack - if they were rising I'd try a dry, something small and black. Size 16-20 klinkhammer or similar. if that doesn't work I'd sling a size 10-12 streamer eg wooly bugger or similar out and strip/twitch it back at varying speeds.

For the lures a sink tip, or sinking line would probably be best but if you've only got a floater use a beadhead lure and let it sink to varying depths until you pick up a fish.

Please let us know how you get on...I'd love to try this tomrrow but am stuck at the desk for the next week or so (including the weekend!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Stuttgart

I was there for about an hour today and only saw three/four rises, so wet may be the way to go? It is so warm, 19 degrees up there today. I've never fished with streamers before, but I dug around the bottom of my tack press and found a few streamers like this:

http://www.google.ie/imgres?q=streamer+fly&start=90&um=1&hl=en&rlz=1W1DMUK_en&biw=1280&bih=603&tbm=isch&tbnid=MNbwh_4UqkKVBM:&imgrefurl=http://swittersb.wordpress.com/2008/08/16/&docid=1fh6mWN5JzzqJM&imgurl=http://swittersb.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/img_8535aaa.jpg&w=448&h=199&ei=1oRzT8voNJGKhQe0_cWnBQ&zoom=1

Any good? Would a worm be worth a shot? Like I said, it really is just about catching something, anything, and chucking it back in. By hook or by crock!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

Streamers like that will be grand. Try the dry! Three or four rises would be enough for me to stick a dry on... You'll know in half a dozen casts if it'll work. If no joy go down the wet/streamer route.

A worm would probably also work but unless your pretty skillfull using worms (I'm not!) you could end up deep hooking the little chaps and risk not getting them back safely. Good luck with it either way.

I'll give the dry a whirl so! I'll report back the results of the challenge. Shame or glory...

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

Try a pheasant tail nymph with a slow retrieve on both floating and intermediate lines, if they're fry feeders that should take their fancy. If there's any bit of a ripple on the water make sure to try a claret bumble bog fly as one of your droppers. best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

There is always a few midge in these lakes so try buzzers on a slow retrieve. Or kill two birds with one stone and use the washing line method. Also later in the year when there are more terrestrials about you can get some good evenings dry fly fishing.

No joy! Not much stirring, I saw maybe three rises in the space of the three hours I was there. Tried a worm, a stickleback (not a nibble on either), a streamer and an olive klinkhammer. Bet lost, head hanging! If I am to try again, it'll be in the evening in a few months time. Cheers for the advice, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 evilgannet

Size 1 Mepps Black Fury, on a light line, that will catch them

Advertisement