Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

telling a recruitment company to make scones

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Over 100 posts in and I still have no idea what's going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Lot of people hating on the OP just because he's able to command a good wage, IMO. Wasting people's time and not offering so much as a drink of water to an interviewee is very rude.

It's the lack of minerals that gets my goat.

Not even a bottle of cadet cola for the lad, and him with a tax bill of 4 figures. Can you imagine that? Jaysus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I can see why the after hours mob are out with their pitchforks in response to the op(not helped by a bewilderingly incoherent start). If you earn a good wage and you're not happy about anything you're wrong.

I've heard stories about English companies/recruiters with no manners and a bad attitude. Some of them are really quite hard to imagine. It's very believable that a company called him on a whim and didn't give him the job for a reason that was quite apparent to them from the beginning. (again the op makes a terrible job of communicating this).

In AH if you earn over the average industrial wage you're one of them and need to be brought down a peg or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So it's tea, crumpets and a tin of Pocari you're after at an interview now?

Fair enough so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

humbert wrote: »
    It's very believable that a company called him on a whim and didn't give him the job for a reason that was quite apparent to them from the beginning. (again the op makes a terrible job of communicating this).

It's more likely they interviewed him to see if he was appropriate for the job and used his experience (or lack of experience for contract work) as an easy way to explain why he isn't getting the job, as oppose to telling him he didn't interview well or wouldn't fit with the team or whatever (which may be more honest but far more likely to be taken the wrong way or sound offensive).

So he can either blindly reject this notion and assume they're being assholes or be productive and work on his interview skills.

Or maybe his CV wasn't specific enough and they wanted to get a better understanding of his experience, in which case he should reexamine his CV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Full.Duck

I have absolutely no idea whats going on.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

In Ireland it was never like this, got a job in Dublin in 2006, great company and a very nice interview.

You should try interviewing in Ireland in 2012. You might notice slight differences...

whatever, and you know this because.....

companies make nothing of calling candidates for interviews, its backed up on previous reply from agency, plus a call yesterday I received.

companies are just looking to call in as many people since so many people want jobs.

Companies and their staff have better things to be doing than interviewing people who's CV marks them as being unsuitable :)

I wouldn't take anything an agency says as being remotely on the ball.

Seachmall wrote: »
    It's more likely they interviewed him to see if he was appropriate for the job and used his experience (or lack of experience for contract work) as an easy way to explain why he isn't getting the job, as oppose to telling him he didn't interview well or wouldn't fit with the team or whatever (which may be more honest but far more likely to be taken the wrong way or sound offensive).

So he can either blindly reject this notion and assume they're being assholes or be productive and work on his interview skills.

Or maybe his CV wasn't specific enough and they wanted to get a better understanding of his experience, in which case he should reexamine his CV.

That's possible but complete speculation. It also requires more additional assumptions than the op's original interpretation. Even if this is true it's crap feedback and not helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

It is foolish and unprofessional to rubbish a company online, to directly name the company you are making fairly derogatory statements about and to quote parts of the (alleged) discussions you have had with the company in a confidential manner. These comments are fairly traceable with a modicum of investigation.

Silly thing to do, demonstrates a lack of emotional maturity where a professional demeanour would serve you much better.

Your working life is long, never ever rubbish a company you have worked for, interviewed for or had any dealings with. Especially not online and publically. It can have a very nasty habit of biting you in the rear end later in your career.

Consider this some free advice.

• Advertisement

That's possible but complete speculation. It also requires more additional assumptions than the op's original interpretation. Even if this is true it's crap feedback and not helpful.

The only assumption it makes is that companies don't interview people who they know to be unsuitable for the job.

That's a reasonable assumption.

The OP is making the opposite assumption. Which is a less reasonable assumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Even if this is true it's crap feedback and not helpful.

You tell him Dr Phil!

The only assumption it makes is that companies don't interview people who they know to be unsuitable for the job.

That's a reasonable assumption.

Actually, I don't agree. I think it's entirely plausible that a company will interview a candidate either without having gone through their CV thoroughly or assuming that they are probably unsuitable for the job that that they may be acceptable if another candidate with the requisite experience proves to be unsatisfactory upon being interviewed. Given the pay the op is quoting there is probably not an abundance of candidates but now I'm making assumptions too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    What are you jabbering on about? :confused:

being asked my age , facebook password..

anything else you would like.. bank account details perhaps?

anyway, we are done here

Mods....

Actually, I don't agree. I think it's entirely plausible that a company will interview a candidate either without having gone through their CV thoroughly or assuming that they are probably unsuitable for the job that that they may be acceptable if another candidate with the requisite experience proves to be unsatisfactory upon being interviewed. Given the pay the op is quoting there is probably not an abundance of candidates but now I'm making assumptions too.

Fair enough, hadn't thought of those.

........... Given the pay the op is quoting there is probably not an abundance of candidates but now I'm making assumptions too.

For a contract engineer that rate isn't at all out of the way.
    No shortage of candidates.

Basic reasoning abilities?
    1. Your experience is, presumably, outlined in your CV.
    2. Your CV is how he came to know of you, thus he knew of your experience before requesting the interview.
    3. He didn't interview you with no intention of hiring you.

So your experience was unlikely to be the sole factor as to why you didn't get the job. The interview was most likely the deciding factor (which is ultimately the point of an interview).

I somehow doubt this since I answered almost all I was asked correctly, if i was not suited I would not be kept

I would also not be asked if i would like to be considered for a graduate programme with the company.

Mods....

You forgot to snap your fingers.

The won't come if you don't snap your fingers.

Lot of people hating on the OP just because he's able to command a good wage, IMO. Wasting people's time and not offering so much as a drink of water to an interviewee is very rude.

and we have a winner...!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

anyway, we are done here

Mods....

None of those things have anything to do with what I said to you.

You said you couldn't comment on individual cases - that was why I made the quip about you being the minister for justice as the minister does not normally comment on individual cases.

I do love the way you try to call in the mods though to close the thread. I imagine you're clicking your fingers too as you do it.

Garcon! Garcon! :D

Neyite wrote: »
    You should try interviewing in Ireland in 2012. You might notice slight differences...

have no intention of going back to Ireland for jobs that dont exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

have no intention of going back to Ireland for jobs that dont exist.

The jobs exist, as they do in the UK - just not for you! :p

I smell some real sour grapes here.

You went for a job, didn't get it, felt the need to start a thread about it.
    There is indeed a strong smell of sour grapes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

As was said earlier OP, you should really think twice about badmouthing companies, and post confidential emails, on a public forum.
    It can come back to haunt you, and demonstrates a lack of maturity and professionalism (and suggests that they were right to not hire you).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

I dont think anyone is hating him for commanding a good wedge? Fair play to him, but its his attitude I'm questioning.

anyway, we are done here

Mods....

I simply asked your age, as you said you finished your masters in 2010. That is all, and i dont get why you cant answer it?

All I'm trying to do is fill in the gaps from where someone finishes their masters and then 2 years later they laugh at an offer of about 55k per annum? Unless you did your Masters as a mature student, but you cant be that 'mature' if you only got your first job in 2006?

From who? You DIDNT get the job?:)

RoverJames wrote: »
    You went for a job, didn't get it, felt the need to start a thread about it.
    There is indeed a strong smell of sour grapes :)

Im not complaining about not getting jobs,

its the lack of respect, and any courtsey towards me.

whether i got a job or not matters not a whit..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Atari Jaguar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I have another job offer so i couldnt be bothered the slightest.

Go on..do tell...

to liven up the who job seekers field I think it would be good for companies , and agencys to make warm scones and a dob of butter for punters.

it would work wonders for the rest of the interview and make candidates totally at ease.

some refreshments would be an optional extra...

Cant believe I'm going to say this, but the original was actually easier to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭snowfinch

OP, I would have to agree with other posters who say that you come across immaturely and unprofessionally.

What did you expect them to do? Roll out the red carpet for you? You are a grown man, if you wanted a glass of water you could have asked for one? I had an 8-hour interview for a company once, 8 x 1hr slots with different staff and I grabbed cups of water in reception in between interviews, was asked if I wanted water/coffee perhaps twice and certainly wouldn't have had any trouble asking for one if I felt I needed one. People were taking an hour out of their day to interview me, busy people themselves as I am sure the person interviewing you was. It may have slipped his mind. Only when I have been a client at other companies have 'the minerals' been brought out. From my experience interviewees aren't greeted in the boardroom with a selection of minerals and snacks. Perhaps standards are different in the automotive sector.

Also, you seem to require a lot to be done to put you at ease. Are they going to have to do tea & scones for you before a major project/presentation/whatever...

I don't think that they dragged you up there on a whim. Companies don't waste their time interviewing people they don't think can do the job. As was said up-thread, perhaps your experience was a little light but they gave you the chance in the interview to prove yourself and might have taken a chance on you. You said you answered all the questions correctly. Then perhaps it was your attitude or demeanor that didn't fit with the company. It sounds like the interviewer was being very polite and letting you down gently blaming 'lack of experience'. Also, frankly, no interviews are a waste of time - if you already had a job lined up I don't know why you bothered going - but even for a long drive at a godawful hour you can always use it as an opportunity to practice your technique and use the time at the end of the interview where they ask you what you want to know to find out more about the company itself. You never know you may be back there at another stage in your career.

Badmouthing companies and recruitment agents and reposting those emails is a really bad idea and extremely unprofessional.

there is only so much crap you can take, posting on AH clearly a bad idea..!

better chalk it down to experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Worst thread ever.

Still not answering your age? This leads me to believe you've got a 'mister big bollix' attitude. The kind of person who gets a masters and then expects it to open pandoras box and bump their wages massively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Why do I have an urge to bake scones?

aw, did we not bring out enough minerals or scones for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭bicardi19

I'm loving this thread. Does anyone else think the OP could be Carlton Banks??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

might seem a lot but try that after tax, hmrc love taxes, my last pay cheque had a nice 4 figure sum on tax alone..
    It's still a big wage! Everyone has deductions, including those on much lower wages.
    clearly its the Irish attitude..

ahhh shur it only an interview..
    No it isn't clearly the Irish attitude - it's YOUR attitude.
    Lot of people hating on the OP just because he's able to command a good wage, IMO.
    I can see why the after hours mob are out with their pitchforks in response to the op(not helped by a bewilderingly incoherent start). If you earn a good wage and you're not happy about anything you're wrong.
    Nonsense. It's because the OP comes along and says £27.50 an hour is rubbish as if everyone would agree.

• Advertisement

clearly i pissed off 99% of the people with money here which is wrong, I should have blanked out that bit.

its about the gereral attitude of the people i met.

clearly i pissed off 99% of the people with money here which is wrong, I should have blanked out that bit.

its about the gereral attitude of the people i met.

Wow you really are totallu up your own arse! Its not about the money! Nobody cares how much you do/dont earn! Its about YOUR attitude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Read first page. Read last page. Don't think I missed much.

Strangely, would love a scone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056585433

Just in case things dont work out OP. You can PM everyone on this thread for references

Boards.ie is a scone-approved employer (c)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Maybe the lack of water was some sort of initiative test. Is the interviewee strong enough to be able to request a glass of water without throwing a teenage tantrum online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

I had a raspberry scone this morning. It was delicious.

But I had to go and buy it myself.

Mixed emotions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

And they didn't offer me a scone.

Oh.....the humanity!

OP has edited the first post now so the thread looks a bit weird, this post helps though.......
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77833884

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah so we might as well end this.
    Good luck out there OP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement