Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Steps

Options
  • 28-03-2012 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

So here goes....... I'm overweight, I have been for the whole part of my life that I can remember. I'm the "big" one in my family the "big" one in my group of friends. I was a "big" child who became a big adult. After years of lack of motivation and yo yo dieting, I finally bit the bullet and decided in my heart of hearts that I am going to leave this behind me as I enter my thirties and I joined a gym. Today I had my first Body Attack class, I gave myself the goal of staying the whole class and I did. I nearly walked out at least twice but I gritted my teeth and I stayed. 45 mins of intense cardio done. My legs and arms are jelly but I'm super proud of myself.:D :D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

I just realised I posted this in the running section. Can this be moved into a more suitable location??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Think this is the right place?

RayCun wrote: »
    Think this is the right place?
    Great thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Beffy

Well done on taking the first steps ladypip!

Logging here can be a great way of tracking your progress and getting tips/advice from others.

Welcome! :)

Day two done :), Tonight I took a body balance class, a mixture of thai chi, pilates and yoga. It was hard but NOTHING like the intensity of last nights class. I think I may alternate between The body balance and an intense class like the previous nights class for this week. I have my first session with a personal trainer next Tuesday so I'll concentrate on the classes until then. :D. I'm proud that I'm doing this and even though I was sore from the first class I still went today :D

• Advertisement

Day three, took a body pump class involving barbell weight training, squats, presses, lifts and curls. Enjoyed it ill defiantly go back to that class. I'm surprising myself with how much I'm looking forward to going everyday. I have my first personal training session on Tuesday and I'm looking forward to the challange. Trying Zumba on Wednesday afternoon. Bring it on!!! :D

Really disappointed today, on Friday I pulled something in my neck and my bro who is a physio told me to ease off for the weekend and gave me some exercises to loosen it. I went back today totally ready and pumped for what I thought was a personal training session but no it was basically a ten minute conversation about what I want to achieve in the gym and a starting point weigh in then ill have my first session next time I'm in the gym (Thursday Zumba tomorrow). I've never used gym equipment before so I asked for some pointers, Done 30mins on the treadmill and 10 on the cross trainer but I was feeling bummed after my let down so I left. Ah well Im looking forward to Zumba tomorrow.

Side question, My runners are really uncomfortable and I need to get a new pair. Im going shopping for some in the morning, would it be a terrible idea to wear a new pair to Zumba tomorrow?

So that was Zumba, I really enjoyed it. I didnt realise how uncordinated i was until I took that class, hopefully i'll get better because im planning on taking that class once a week from now on. :D

My new runners were really comfortable although my right foot aches in the centre around the arch every time I exercise, I had assumed it was my old runners but today it happened again. Anybody have any tips or ideas on how to combat this??

I was late for my session today so we only went through the weight machines I have to do, Then the trainer talked me into going to a trx class, Not my cup of tea to be honest. Too slow and I got bored. It was hard and I did feel I got a good workout but ill stick to fast paced and fun like Zumba or slow and relaxing like body balance. Working on Cardio and core work on Monday with a trainer. then ill be all set for gymming alone. :D

Some gym work today. Threadmill at set to 56 for five mins to warm up. Then onto weight machines.
    Machine: Sets Reps Weight

Leg press 3 15 20

Lat pull down 3 15 50

Chest press 3 15 10

Leg curl 3 15 20

Tricep 3 15 20

Bicep 3 15 10

Back to threadmill for ten mins at 56
    Cross trainer for 5 mins.

*machines may have other names I cant remember*

Going to work some more cardio and core work into my routine with a trainer on Tuesday.

• Advertisement

I woke up at 6am to vomit..not good I dont know if my body is telling me to slow down or something I ate sat badly in my tummy. :(

Turned out to be a bug, only started eating again today so ill be back to the gym tomorrow after a full nights rest hopefully.

Back at the gym today, Got some Cardio in. 10 mins threadmill, 10 mins elliptical machine, 8 mins crosstrainer, some core work 3 x 30 secs planking and 3x 10 rollups 3x 10 rollup pulses.

Zumba today, I had to leave after 45 mins feeling dizzy but Im sure its down to having the bug at the weekend.

Advertisement