Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Donneycarney?

Options
  • 28-03-2012 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

Hey all, just looking for some opinions here.

Myself and my partner went to look at a house today in donneycarney and it ticked a lot of the boxes aoart from the fact that we are unsure of the loaction. (Neither of us know a lot about the area at all, we had a drive around but there's only so much you can get from that.)

What is the area like and are there any nice pubs/shops/restaurants etc close to it. Are the transport links into town ok? It seems to be well-serviced but I don't trust Dublin Bus timetables. :o

Is there anything else a buyer should know (before it's too late:eek:)?

Any advice would be much appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Learning how to spell it would be a start. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Was just about to post that :D. Where abouts in Donnycarney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

donnycarney is a decent settled area.

Just off the Collins Ave in the Belton Park area. Seems to be quite quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

nice quiet area, lots of buses to whizz you into town quickly, not a whole lot of pubs and restaurants within walking distance, there is kitty kiernans which is a decent enough local, and a reasonable Chinese restaurant and that's about it, plenty of places to choose from in nearby clontarf and Fairview tho

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am from the Area moved out a few years now but its grand.It has a super bus service,in the morning at the church you will never be waiting more than 4/5 min for a bus.Handy for the city,airport,m50 & Dart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Donnycarney is divided into two "sides" kind of.

The Malahide Road divides it, and the side you are talking about is the "good" older side. The other side, where the roads all start with "Clan" used to have a fairly dodgy reputation about 10-15 years ago, but seems to have settled down a good bit now. Probably since Dub13 moved out really :P

Pubs.

The nearest one to you would be Kitty Kiernans, which used to be knows as The Jolly Beggarman (people still refer to it as "The Jolly"), and was an absolute kip. Cleaned itself up now, but the crowd is still a bit "rowdy".

Another pub, out on the Malahide Road kind of opposite the church is The Parnell Park House, I've never been in.

Crossing the Malahide road and continuing up Collins Avenue Extension, you get to The Beachcomber, same kind of crowd as The Jolly imo, turn right at The Beachcomber and you'll eventually come to Harry Byrnes, which is one of the best pubs in Dublin, about a 15-20minute walk from you.

On the Malahide Road, turning right towards the city, you've Grainger's and Kavanagh's. Both "Old man" pubs, Kavanagh's being particularly noted for it's Guinness. Turning left on the Malahide Road the first pub you hit is The Goblet, which is decent, but has seen better days. Before the Goblet, turn into Killester for The Ramble Inn. A very clannish, stare-at-strangers local pub for local people.

There is an absolutely superb off licence called McHughs in the row of shops opposite The Goblet. The Chipper there, The Cosy, is also quite good, and the Indian restaurant there is gaining a good rep too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Des pretty much nailed it. Pubwise :)

Ive lived there 7 years now and it has changed a bit even in the time that I have been there. The road that I live on had alot of really old people who have passed on and the houses been sold to young couples so babies are starting to appear. The demographic of my road has changed from say 80% being 65+ years of age to 40%. Roughly.

Its a very quiet area. For example, a drunk girl was screaming her head off going down our road at 11pm last Saturday night. Half the door on teh street were opened as they thought she was in bother. She got a fierce bollocking from one of the older men on the street for scaring everyone. So it still has that neighbourly feel to it. I know a few of my neighbours and they are treally nice, but good fences make good neighbours rules supreme.

One Chinese restaurant - Celestines is now 16 Maypark abnd only caters for functions. I have to say, the area has nothing to offer in restaurants but being so near to town and Clontarf, its not an issue. Kittys is ok for a Sunday match and maybe a late pint on Saturday night. Nothing fancy, just teh locals. Some of whom are quite......interesting :)

All in all, I dont regret buying there. Its old school Dublin alot of it and theres nothing wrong with that. The residents committee is chaired by some pretty awful people - I got a warning over my cat getting on the pensioners bus and running riot - there was war over a few issues with him but other than that, they are really dedicated to the areas upkeep.

Thanks to you all for such constructive advice and opinions. Always good to hear it from people who are really familiar with an area, rather than just listening to hear-say or people who moved out of Dublin twenty-odd years ago. We've decided to go back for a second viewing, hoping that it was as great as we thought it was!
    Des wrote: »
    Pubs.

Thanks Des, I hate to move anywhere without a good local, especially for a last minute pint. (Deadly serious about this one- a deal breaker. :))

Thanks NewFrock, great advice. Looking for somewhere settled and quiet. The lack of restaurants is unfortunate, but it is close to town and in the long run it would probably save us a fortune!
    The residents committee is chaired by some pretty awful people - I got a warning over my cat getting on the pensioners bus and running riot - there was war over a few issues with him but other than that, they are really dedicated to the areas upkeep.

By the way, your cat is awesome! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Superb bus service

You have the DART which you'll be walking to, no parking down there, a good five minute walk, that's all

You have Raheny Park up the road or the promenade down the way if you fancy a walk
    You could even walk to and from town every day if you wanted, I used to do that when I was in Artane. Nice walk and relaxing

If you ever walk up the Malahide Rd you'll see a bridge and a plaque though the river is now covered over
    Though the area can get flooded but you're not in that part of Donnycarney

Few kids hanging around the petrol station but nothing happens, it's a quiet and settled area.
    Matured I think is the term. As safe as can be

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Superb bus service

You have the DART which you'll be walking to, no parking down there, a good five minute walk, that's all

I don't drive so the buses are really important and she gets a pain in her snot driving me around so she'll appreciate a good service too.
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    You have Raheny Park up the road or the promenade down the way if you fancy a walk

The OH has been pining for a dog for an age, so if we manage to get a house with a garden we might go for it. Some nice places to walk it would be great because guaranteed I'll be the eejit who ends up walking it!

Des pretty much nailed it. Pubwise :)

Ive lived there 7 years now and it has changed a bit even in the time that I have been there. The road that I live on had alot of really old people who have passed on and the houses been sold to young couples so babies are starting to appear. The demographic of my road has changed from say 80% being 65+ years of age to 40%. Roughly.

I wonder do you live in Oak, Elm road. My grandmother passed away 6 years ago and this description fits the are perfectly. :)

Des is right Donnycarney is split into 2 Old were you are looking at,and the other side of the church north/new Donnycarney.The old part is much more settled and quieter.I would not worry to much about the lack of restaurants,Clontarf,Raheny,Sutton,Howth are all very close.

Pubs.

The nearest one to you would be Kitty Kiernans, which used to be knows as The Jolly Beggarman (people still refer to it as "The Jolly"), and was an absolute kip. Cleaned itself up now, but the crowd is still a bit "rowdy".

Another pub, out on the Malahide Road kind of opposite the church is The Parnell Park House, I've never been in.
    - it was gutted in a fire a few years back. Never refurbished and never reopened. Not a bad thing.
    diddlybit wrote: »

Thanks Des, I hate to move anywhere without a good local, especially for a last minute pint. (Deadly serious about this one- a deal breaker. :))

Thanks NewFrock, great advice. Looking for somewhere settled and quiet. The lack of restaurants is unfortunate, but it is close to town and in the long run it would probably save us a fortune!

By the way, your cat is awesome! :D

Ho ho! You wont be saying that when hes chasing you down the street! Another issue we had with him.

Im not on Oak or Elm but verrrry close :) Not hard to figure out at this stage!

As an aside, one thing I will say is that if you do look further into buy, I would take a good gander at the insulation of the house. I was so naive when I bought mine it didnt even cross my mind. Im end of terrace and discovered in the middle of the coldest spell Ive ever experience outside Germany, that the gable wall had none and it was murder trying to keep heat in the place.

I would also get right up inot the attic and look at the water tank and what sort of shape it is in. Those are the two things that I would pay close attention to. The electrical wiring next - a few houses have been rewired since I moved in and I had my own done as well. The electrics are old and still on their first run in most houses. Mine could have lasted, but Im too paranoid.

Best of luck - keep us updated!

Ho ho! You wont be saying that when hes chasing you down the street! Another issue we had with him.

I like him even more now! Sounds like a complete tyrant. :D

As an aside, one thing I will say is that if you do look further into buy, I would take a good gander at the insulation of the house... I would also get right up inot the attic and look at the water tank and what sort of shape it is in. Those are the two things that I would pay close attention to. The electrical wiring next - a few houses have been rewired since I moved in and I had my own done as well. The electrics are old and still on their first run in most houses.

Thanks a mil for this, I would have assummed that the insulation wouldn't have been as poor as some of the places that I've looked at. Will check out the electrics, it's definately a job that we don't want to face.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

I have to say some of the posters here are speed walkers or under estimating things greatly,

there is no way you could walk to the dart (in Killester or Clontarf) from belton park in 5 minutes, even a "good" 5 minutes, it would be closer to 15/20 minutes walk, and another 10/15 on that to get to Harry Byrnes.

In that respect the Dart wouldn't be an option for you, but there are a wealth of buses coming up and town the malahide road so that aspect shouldn't be a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Flash86

I live in Grace Park Meadows, right off Belton Park. The area is great for buses.
    You can get the 14 from collin's avenue. Goes through town and right out to Dundrum. A two minute walk to the Malahide road and you can get the 14, 15, 27A/B/C, 42 maybe one or two more. A short walk the opposite direction and you can get the 16/A, 41 and a few more from the Swords road.
    Grand area, Lived and worked in the area all my life and never had any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Hi OP

I grew-up in Donnycarney and go back weekly to visit my mam. I agree with the other posters it's a settled area but there is a nice mix of age groups.

I know you asked about restaurants and pubs but you also have the UCI in Coolock and the Omniplex in Santry both a ten min drive. There are plenty of shopping centres close-by Artane Castle, Omni, Northside to name a few. You can also get to the pavilions in Swords in 15/20 mins on the motorway.

I'd move back to the area if I had the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

FensterDJ wrote: »
    I have to say some of the posters here are speed walkers or under estimating things greatly,

or could be estate agents ;)

The houses sell pretty quickly around here I have to say. A good few have sold on my road in the last say 5 years and the signs never seem to be outside for long. My neighbour is moving out soon and he wants to rent his house out so it will be interesting to see how long before it has a tenant. I get at least one Sherry Fitz or DNG brochure every two weeks or so saying they have buyers waiting and free valuations etc. A new estate agents opened up on Roccas strip about 2 years ago - a lot of the locals seem to go with them.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, some great advice here.

Just wondering about the games in Parnell Park. My OH heard that the traffic and parking can be an issue around match time. Is this true? And would they be frequent? (Not a sports head so this is the first time I've heard of the place. :o)

Just wondering about the games in Parnell Park. My OH heard that the traffic and parking can be an issue around match time. Is this true? And would they be frequent? (Not a sports head so this is the first time I've heard of the place. :o)

There are a good few matches played in Parnell Park but very few would be very well attended and as such cause parking/traffic issues.Even when the big ames are on its not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

It used to be more of a problem when the Dublin hurlers and footballers played national league game there. There will be some extra cars around when there are county finals on but that's only 3 or 4 times a year. Not so much of a problem up around Belton Park, more so on roads near the Malahide Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Chemistry Ftw

I live beside donnycarney and the only bad thing I can say about it is may park. It can be pretty dangerous there on weekend nights ( groups of teenagers drinking and lighting fires). One of my closest mates lives in old donnycarney and that area has always been nice in my opinion.

Roccas.
    Another decent chipper which I forgot about, lovely burgers last time I was in.

Most of Dublin's bit league games are in Croke Park these days anyway, and they never play in PP in the summer.
    Dub13 wrote: »
    There are a good few matches played in Parnell Park but very few would be very well attended and as such cause parking/traffic issues.Even when the big ames are on its not that bad.
    True, and I'd say up as far as Belton wouldn't be affected much anyway.

Thanks all, knowing that the park isn't that busy is great as we've already eliminated some houses because they were too close to Croke Park.

Thanks all again, it's great to hear from people who really know the area. I'll let you all know if I eventually become a Donnycarnite. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Agree that you don't have anything to worry about with Parnell Park. The Dubs play all their summer All Ireland games in Croke Park. They used to play their less well attended National League games at PP, but they have been playing league games in Croker too since last year. They are not getting the crowds at Croker to make playing there viable, so it is possible (but not likely) that they will move the games back to PP, as the overheads to host a game there are lower.

Even if the games are moved back to PP, we are only talking about 3/4 games per year in February & March. The crowds will not be that big of a deal. A lot of club games are played there as the club championships enter the elimination rounds in autumn and winter. They will attract a crowd of a few thousand, but the worst effect that they have on the area is a bit of a bottleneck at the Collins Ave/Malahide Rd intersections when the game crowds are leaving. That's about it really.

Also, there are plans to build a new stadium somewhere on the Southside, which will "compete" with Parnell Park, so even if the League games do move out of Croke Park, the number of games could be halved.

Also, there are plans to build a new stadium somewhere on the Southside, which will "compete" with Parnell Park, so even if the League games do move out of Croke Park, the number of games could be halved.

You know alot about all this GAA lark,come out of the closet.

• Advertisement

Got the keys! Plumbing and electrics to do then I shall be a Donneycarnite. :) So far, so good, interesting neighbours.

Advertisement