Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overpriced

Options
  • 28-03-2012 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Why are WP7 and possibly iPhone's overpriced? I mean a high end android is quad-core 1.5GHz and 1GB of RAM WP7 high end is 1.4GHz single core 512MB of RAM. I'm not writing of WP7 or iPhone (I use android) but like why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

You don't provide any examples??

Don't think WP7 phones are over priced, iPhones are but that's because they have become a fashion and status icon and can command high prices because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

The only over priced phones are HTC WP7 Range. HTC Titan retail's at 500 euro which is way too expensive if your looking at specs.

The likes of Nokia Lumia 800 or 710 are correctly priced, especially considering their very well built phones. Samsung Omnia W fits somewhere in between HTC and Nokia.

ie. Lumia 710 280E vs Samsung Galaxy Plus around 350-380
    The only difference is that Galaxy S Plus has an Amoled screen vs a clear black LCD (even though its not bad if you ever seen one in person)

Though a lot of these if comparing specs to likes of mid range devices have far better screens and a lot higher build quality compared to the likes of Android mid range offerings or earlier iPhone models.

iPhone is a fashion accessory more like, but more your not really buying just a phone, your buying the whole experience. Higher quality OS, stability, longer battery life, reliability, security as well.

Microsoft and Apple spend more time controlling the phone experience rather than letting OEM's run wild and free and do whatever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭pigeon999

Compare a WP7 with an Android and the specs on android are twice as better
    http://shop.three.ie/catalogue/products/compare
    Lumia:1.4GHz (single core) RAM:512MB
    Xperia S:1.5GHz (dual-core) RAM:1GB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

pigeon999 wrote: »

You compared a 32GB iPhone with a 16GB Galaxy S2? :)

I don't know why is the Lumia 800 such a high price on contract on Three. Even on 24 months its 99 euro a month, when other networks are offering it free or 99 on 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Another thing to take into account is that WP as an OS is not as resource intensive as Android, so it can do more with less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Samsung Galaxy S II looks overpriced compared to the Sony

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

ah yes, the joys (and pitfalls) of shopping by Spec sheet. It's like the camera pixel war - more pixels do not make a batter camera, there is so much more to it than simply a spec.

Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQZww_C6Zgg. Using the phone in real life doesn't compare to what the spec sheet says

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just skimmed so not sure if mentioned but WP7 only supports single cores, and runs well with them. Not that I'd use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭pigeon999

You compared a 32GB iPhone with a 16GB Galaxy S2? :)

I don't know why is the Lumia 800 such a high price on contract on Three. Even on 24 months its 99 euro a month, when other networks are offering it free or 99 on 18 months.
    Sorry meant to be the Xperia S and Lumia 800.
    I know WP7 works very smothly but for what the manufacturers pay to make the phone it seems by the time the customer gets it they have made a lot if cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Xperia S doesn't have gorilla glass which means the screen scratches easily and needs a protector.

Also WP7 phones have to use touch screen controllers which can handle 4 inputs at once (8:50 in video), while Android can use a less powerful two input controller (cheaper controller).

It's like the BMW vs Ford argument. BMW charge more because they (generally) use better quality materials. Of course you can buy a cheaper ford, but it will have cheaper materials and possibly not last as long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Considering you can buy the phones at many different price points and thus features that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Advertisement