Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat with Swollen Face

• 28-03-2012 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi All,

I came home from work today and one of my poor cats face is all swollen on one side.

Now he wouldn't be the friendliest cat and can be very grumpy at times. I am going to leave him alone until tomorrow evening and if it is not gone I guess cart him off to the vet... I have had a look and can't see any obvious cuts or anything to his face.

He did eat food this morning and a small bit in the evening (which is worrying in itself :) ) but it was only soft food and not the hard dry food.

Just wondering if anyone has had this before? :( I am hoping its only a bee sting or something.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Had a cat that chewed a bee a few years ago and ended up with swollen side of face from sting, no harm as long as they aren't allergic and you'd know by now if they were. Thought it was a bit early for bees but i suppose the weather has been exceptionally warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

lubie76 wrote: »
    Had a cat that chewed a bee a few years ago and ended up with swollen side of face from sting, no harm as long as they aren't allergic and you'd know by now if they were. Thought it was a bit early for bees but i suppose the weather has been exceptionally warm.

I found a huge dead bee out the back, but that was about a week ago. I hope that's all it is, he will be a nightmare to try and get to the vet! Never mind when we are actually there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Might be an abscess. I'd take him to the vet. Our family cat came in with a swollen face (years ago) and it burst releasing a fountain of puss and bloody gloop.

I grabbed the cat, squeezed out the remainder of the gloop, cleaned the wound and took him to the vet where he was given a big antibiotic injection and he was grand again shortly after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

+1 on the abscess, he could have had a fight and been bitten, happened to our guy years ago, big needle, lots of puss, antibiotic good as new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

+2 on the absess so I'd be seeing a vet asap. It's fairly common with cats that go out and about and get into fights.

Had to get my own cats leg lanced once, pus everywhere, poor thing must have been in so much pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Cats teeth contain some nasty bacteria so anything that is bitten by a cat is likely to end up with an infection. This is why birds that are attacked by cats usually die a day or so later as the infection sets in.

Swelling had actually gone down a little today, but we took him to the emergency place anyway. Checked him over and nothing obvious so off to the normal vet tomorrow to possibly be sedated and checked out properly.

Still not eating and was hiding behind the sofa when we came home. Poor thing.

He went into the box no problem, was as good as gold in the vet, and walked into the box on the way home! Chancer! :)

Thanks for all your replies!

Always be wary of a swelling going down quickly or suddenly. If an abscess bursts internally it can be an emergency if pus gets into the blood stream.

Just back from our vet this morning. Turns out the poor cat has been attacked by something and has a puncture wound in the side of his face. So now he needs to stay in for 5 days :eek: and have antibiotics.

Slightly annoyed that the emergency vet did not spot this as when I looked with our vet it was quite obvious! €90 and they couldn't even see the blood in his fur! :mad:

blueturnip wrote: »
    Just back from our vet this morning. Turns out the poor cat has been attacked by something and has a puncture wound in the side of his face. So now he needs to stay in for 5 days :eek: and have antibiotics.

Slightly annoyed that the emergency vet did not spot this as when I looked with our vet it was quite obvious! €90 and they couldn't even see the blood in his fur! :mad:

Then take it up with the emergency Vet. In almost every case a sudden swelling on a cat's face is an abscess that results from a puncture wound & the Vet would know this.

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    Then take it up with the emergency Vet. In almost every case a sudden swelling on a cat's face is an abscess that results from a puncture wound & the Vet would know this.

Yes, I would think a vet *should* know this. I may have to give them a ring.

At least we know what it is now and get him treated properly which is the main thing!

Advertisement