Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Might Be a Stupid Question, But...

Options
  • 28-03-2012 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just curious. Do you need planning permission for a fecking hedge these days? Almost no-one on our estate has one......... we planted ours on Saturday/Sunday.

In our section of the estate we'll be the only people with one. It's really odd seeing plenty of houses and no hedges.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I'm just curious. Do you need planning permission for a fecking hedge these days? Almost no-one on our estate has one......... we planted ours on Saturday/Sunday.

In our section of the estate we'll be the only people with one. It's really odd seeing plenty of houses and no hedges.

Nope....Unless its a privately owned and managed estate and the builders/management companies written contract STATES no trees or hedging or small walls (quite common practice in the UK).

If not then plant away,as long as you are within your own garden boundaries.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

paddy147 wrote: »
    Nope....Unless its a privately owned and managed estate and the builders/management companies written contract STATES no trees or hedging or small walls (quite common practice in the UK).

If not then plant away,as long as you are within your own garden boundaries.:)

We are indeed. Many thanks for that Paddy. We got 30 privets planted over the Saturday/Sunday gone by, so we're both really looking forward to them taking off.

As said I'm just really surprised no-one else has grown a hedge where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Watch that kids don't start running through them or using them as 'horse racing fences'. You might have to do something short-term to stop that.

We are indeed. Many thanks for that Paddy. We got 30 privets planted over the Saturday/Sunday gone by, so we're both really looking forward to them taking off.

Maybe none of them are into gardening????:confused:

Good luck with the hedge,you will be different to everyone else,and you will be able to enjoy some privicy too,in the future.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

wait4me wrote: »
    Watch that kids don't start running through them or using them as 'horse racing fences'. You might have to do something short-term to stop that.

I think we should be OK. We're end of terrace and the hedge follows the wall around from the side of the house to the front. So unless they're in the garden we should be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

Lots of new estates seem to take a few years before they start on the gardens. I guess if you ask Mrs Wex12 she would say the house needs to be done first hence any spare money is needed for inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kynzvart

Go for it and I hope you have a lovely hedge in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

there is a limit on how high a boundry fence hedge wall or gate can be. a neighbour of mine was told last year to take the top row of bricks of his wall cus it was four inches too high he ended up knocking it down cus it looked crap smaller. just call the planning office in your area and ask about boundry fencing or hedge height. it may be higher in your area. the planning in this country is not regulated properly so rules change from place to place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'm just curious. Do you need planning permission for a fecking hedge these days?
    i think you may need one for leylandii in the UK, which may end up generating some misunderstandings about it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Zelkova

There's no such thing as a stupid question. You don't need planning permission
    First rule is - Don't plant leylandii, you'll regret it and your neighbours will hate you
    Next is don't grow something you'll have to clip too often because it grows so vigorously.
    Allow time for it to grow instead of getting a species that grows rampantly

Best hedging species (in my opinion)
    Beech-
    Yew- the finest of hedges
    buxus or box- for low hedging
    Privet- go for small leaved species (ligustrum)

Forget grisselinia- leaves too big
    And don't choose photinia red robin it's leaves are to big and in my view the new red shoots are ugly, plus it's overly planted and inappropriate as a hedge.

• Advertisement

Yew is also a very expensive hedge to buy in bareroot form and plant and will take a long long time to grow to any sort of decent size too.

Hornbeam is also a lovely hedge (small pointy leaves that go golden brown in wintetime,and is hardier than beech)

If you want to have a nice full hedge in years to come,then you need to prune it back well,to allow for the root loss to new bud/stem growth and also be able to support itself as it starts to grow.

Yew is also a very expensive hedge to buy in bareroot form and plant and will take a long long time to grow to any sort of decent size too.

Hornbeam is also a lovely hedge (small pointy leaves that go golden brown in wintetime,and is hardier than beech)

If you want to have a nice full hedge in years to come,then you need to prune it back well,to allow for the root loss to new bud/stem growth and also be able to support itself as it starts to grow.

Hornbeam goes dark brown, not golden brown in winter.
    Hardier than beech?? Beech survives to -30 C, how hardy does it need to be to grow in Ireland?
    Maybe you mean it's easier to establish than beech.

Zelkova wrote: »
    Hardier than beech?? Beech survives to -30 C, how hardy does it need to be to grow in Ireland?

Do you have a colour chart??

And what about your response to the Yew??

And what about your response to the Yew??

It's pricey alright in large sizes, but you get what you pay for. You could always buy it small at a cheaper price. A two foot plant will become a very decent sized hedge in around five years.
    Worth the wait in my view and it'll not require as much clipping as other more commonly grown species.
    I've sourced 4 foot tall and 2.5 foot wide, bare-root plant in Laois for €20 each. Marvellous plants that made an instant hedge planted 3 foot apart.

Where did you get -30 degrees C from?

Honest question

Hornbeam is hardier and sturdier than Beech,when it comes to poor soil conditions,exposed sites and frost/ice/snow.

Where did you get -30 degrees C from?

Honest question

Hornbeam is hardier and sturdier than Beech,when it comes to poor soil conditions,exposed sites and frost/ice/snow.

Horticulturally hardiness in plants refers to degrees of cold a plant will survive, nothing else.
    Beech will grow to USDA hardiness zone 5. Meaning it'll survive to -29C. What is Ireland's lowest recorded temperature? I've never seen beech succumb to cold.
    It's one of the tallest deciduous trees, growing to 100 ft without requiring support. I've seen hedges taller than double decker buses. I've come across beech growing perfectly quite close to the Irish sea and on hill tops in the Wicklow mountains, where the winds can often be wicked and the soil is considered very poor.
    Paddy 147, I don't need a colour chart I've perfectly good colour vision, go compare beech and hornbeam hedges before the leaves appear for yourself. You'll find the beech is the golden brown colour you described for hornbeam. This is how it gets the common name of " copper beech". And copper beech doesn't refer to the purple leaved variety before you say so.
    Hornbeam is a much duller brown and isn't as good for holding its leaves through winter.
    Hornbeam makes a good hedge but beech is superior. Beech will always be a more popular choice of hedge

Horticulturally hardiness in plants refers to degrees of cold a plant will survive, nothing else.
    Beech will grow to USDA hardiness zone 5. Meaning it'll survive to -29C. What is Ireland's lowest recorded temperature? I've never seen beech succumb to cold.
    It's one of the tallest deciduous trees, growing to 100 ft without requiring support. I've seen hedges taller than double decker buses. I've come across beech growing perfectly quite close to the Irish sea and on hill tops in the Wicklow mountains, where the winds can often be wicked and the soil is considered very poor.
    Paddy 147, I don't need a colour chart I've perfectly good colour vision, go compare beech and hornbeam hedges before the leaves appear for yourself. You'll find the beech is the golden brown colour you described for hornbeam. This is how it gets the common name of " copper beech". And copper beech doesn't refer to the purple leaved variety before you say so.
    Hornbeam is a much duller brown and isn't as good for holding its leaves through winter.
    Hornbeam makes a good hedge but beech is superior. Beech will always be a more popular choice of hedge

Im only a gardening enthusiast,and nothing more.

Thanks for the info regarding the USA,interestng reading.

So Beech Hedging is superior/hardier and Hornbeam isnt a stronger/hardier and better suited hedge then,especially when it comes to poor soil conditions,wind,exposed sites and frost/ice/snow?

With regards "popular" choice,thats 1 of the reasons why I got Bareroot Hormbeam planted in my gardens,as its not as common/popular a choice as Beech.

I see Beech Hedging allmost everywhere I go,but I dont see too much Hornbeam Hedging in peoples gardens.

Sometimes its good to break the mould.

Advertisement