Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you think about it, we know nothing about the universe

• 28-03-2012 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

What we see is only what our brain allows us to see. Our intelligence is limited, yet that is the yardstick to understanding everything.

We will never know how the universe works, or how the human brain works for that matter. We are a brain studying a brain, logic is flawed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

maybe your intelligence is limited, but I know every thing :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Spot the philosophy student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

What we see is only what our brain allows us to see. Our intelligence is limited, yet that is the yardstick to understanding everything.

We will never know how the universe works, or how the human brain works for that matter. We are a brain studying a brain, logic is flawed.

SNIPPED: offensive to the elderly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I know how they get the figs into the figrolls.

After that, it's all gravy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Look at your fingers moving. REALLY look.

Duuuuude. Fcukin mind control.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

We are a brain studying a brain, logic is flawed.

I disagree. A system capable of self learning can easily be capable of learning all the workings of itself. Theres no rule or law that means the brain cannot understand itself in its entirety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Fúck it, let's just have a good time while we're here, no point dwelling on that stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Ya I think about the universe....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Once we find Element Zero, it's all gravy!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ha ha hello

Philosophy has been around along time OP; do you really think you are the first to think that thought?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

I don't know anything about a tracker mortgage no matter how much I think about it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

We will never know how the universe works

Not with that fuckin attitude we won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

The fundamental question is, I believe, something we can never answer.

What in shi*ting crikey is the universe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Try tripping on some lsd ...man ...like far out :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Aren't you mixing up two fields of study?

1. Humans trying to understand humans
    2. Humans trying to understand the Universe

I'd agree that humans trying to figure out what makes humans tick is hugely problematic and can even be dangerous.

Humans endeavouring to understand the universe is a work in progress though.

The whole mystery of the universe (up to a point )is byond our understanding and in the wider scheme of things ,we on this earth are as much part of the mystery as anything else we can comprehend .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Such bullcrap

you are totally ignoring most of the Nobel prize wining discoveries in physics and cosmology and a good few of the ones in medicine

You have a mid nineteenth view of science.

"We are a brain studying a brain, logic is flawed." :confused:
    word games in six hundred year old language can't be compared to the thought experiments that allowed us to design machines to test those theories,
    Look at the LHC / Higgs Boson etc.

As for the brain , we have the technology to build a simulation of one once we understand how it works. An alternative view is we have the tools to test if we have built it , it's a matter of time. I won't hold my breath on that since we are always 20 years from AI just like we've always been.

But we have the technology to make an analog of the brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

theTinker wrote: »
    I disagree. A system capable of self learning can easily be capable of learning all the workings of itself. Theres no rule or law that means the brain cannot understand itself in its entirety

If a system knows exactly how itself works, it should be able to predict its own thinking/behaviour. But does that mean it predicts the prediction. And then predicts the prediction of the prediction etc.
    Is there an infinite recursion happening there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

Superbus wrote: »
    Look at your fingers moving. REALLY look.

Duuuuude. Fcukin mind control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Latchy wrote: »

load blown. i mean, mind.

Spunge wrote: »
    load blown. i mean, mind.
    Tis ...tisin't it

Advertisement