Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASrock

Options
  • 28-03-2012 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

i've seen alot of people suggesting asrock boards and was wondering what theyre like?

i know theyre a sister of asus but is there much difference? where does the ~€50 go between them and the likes of asus or msi on a same chipset board?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭briany

For what it's worth, I have the Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 motherboard in the computer I built last month and it's been running perfectly so far and hopefully will continue to do so. I chose it because it had a similar feature set to the Asus Z68 pro-v but at a cheaper price plus a debug led which I found useful. I couldn't tell you why the price disparity is as there's a lot of corners that can be cut under the hood so to speak and some of that extra money could be paying for the brand name as well. HardOCP do a review on the Extreme 4, the bigger brother but they don't think much of it. HardOCP are very hard on the products they test though, putting them through rigors most computer components would never face in reality. All I know is the board I got performs as advertised and seems to be well put together (looks cool, too. Black and gold).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I've literally got 3 asrock z68 extreme4's in front of me. 1 is OCd to 4.6Ghz, another 4.8Ghz and I'm testing a 4.7Ghz as we speak on the third. damn IBT takes ages on Max settings.

theyre a great board for the price, which is why I keep buying them. if anyone takes shortcuts, its Asus, with their PLX switches on the PCI lanes. avoid anything less than their top of the line maximus stuff. MSI are good this generation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    I've literally got 3 asrock z68 extreme4's in front of me. 1 is OCd to 4.6Ghz, another 4.8Ghz and I'm testing a 4.7Ghz as we speak on the third. damn IBT takes ages on Max settings.

theyre a great board for the price, which is why I keep buying them. if anyone takes shortcuts, its Asus, with their PLX switches on the PCI lanes. avoid anything less than their top of the line maximus stuff. MSI are good this generation too.

The Formula's are very good boards aswell I think,mine has never let me down:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    The Formula's are very good boards aswell I think,mine has never let me down:D
    sorry yea the crosshairs are good too, I should have mentioned the Asus socket 1155 boards are a disappointment this generation, much like the asrock was last gen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tdh

I got an ASRock h61m-itx motherboard this week to serve my new htpc. I seemed to randomly get a "machine check error" after the bios screen while i was deciding what OS i wanted. it also started to ignore my logitech keyboard (at bootup only?) after about 40 restarts -i flashed the latest bios which said in the notes that the mouse i was using was previously incompatiable-which was a shock since it was working perfectly. I switched to a wireless keyboard that allowed me to access the bios.
    Anyways all seemed to be going well after I put openelec on it until yesterday I turned it on and i got the "machine check error" problem again. I just turned it off and back on again and it was fine since.
    Im not sure what that error is about or whether or not it has been resolved (i changed the usb ir receiver to another usb-this is the only thing i can imagine it to be).
    Aside from that the board seems really great, its got everything I want and everything else worked perfectly!

• Advertisement
Advertisement