Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bought fifty €2 all cash today

• 28-03-2012 11:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

Got back €64 and 5 Frees :o

Highest win was €10 :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Get another 37 with the winnings. Sure what have you to lose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Tell Enda.

So long recession!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Do you have an addiction or were you just running a little experiment? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

recyclebin wrote: »

That's what i'm going to do, all or nothing :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,874 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Ooooohhhhhhhh.....no recession round here!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Give me one of the frees. Go on.

Do you have an addiction or were you just running a little experiment? :D

Long story but a mate owed me €100 and to begin with it didn't look like i'd be getting it back, then in the end he said he'd gimme the 100, and i said fook it, buy me 50 all cash :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I've always believed such things as scratch cards were a tax on the stupid. You are stupid according to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Long story but a mate owed me €100 and to begin with it didn't look like i'd be getting it back, then in the end he said he'd gimme the 100, and i said fook it, buy me 50 all cash :pac:

Cool story bro - but still a complete waste of €100 in fairness :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I thought this was a Household Charge thread

do they take payment in scratch cards ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

You see , - 1 in 3 does win .

And of the €100 you spent , €32 went to good causes all over Ireland

Grimebox wrote: »
    I've always believed such things as scratch cards were a tax on the stupid. You are stupid according to me.

I agree that they are a stupid thing to spend money on, this was a once off.
    But you can't win if you're not in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Grimebox wrote: »
    A tax on the poor is what I regard them as.

I thought this was a Household Charge thread

do they take payment in scratch cards ?

Hopefully

Jimoslimos wrote: »

So if a "rich" person buys one, it's not a tax on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

You could have just given me the money if ya dont really need it :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So your nett spend was €36 and they gave out €74 in prizes

That's over two to one

Hang on , I'm not sure, but looking at those numbers I think I've figured out how to solve our debt crisis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

So if a "rich" person buys one, it's not a tax on them?
    People in poverty spend disproportionate amounts of their income on scratch cards and lotteries.

Of course wealthier folk take the wiser option and speculate on the property market instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

recyclebin wrote: »

Never buy more tickets with your winnings, that's what the Feckers want you to do.

Know when to walk away, as Kenny Rogers said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I won €50 on a €1 All Cash a few weeks back. Won't happen again for 10 years so I won't bother. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

That's effectively what he said.

I won €50 on a €1 All Cash a few weeks back. Won't happen again for 10 years so I won't bother. :D

That's a thought, I might buy 64 1e all cash instead of 32 2e ones

:eek: imagine all the scratching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

WTF is this about scratch cards are a tax on the poor or stupid people. They are not a tax and shouldn't be regarded as one. A tax is some thing a person is legally obliged to pay. No one is legally obliged to buy a scratch card. Don't begrudge Fighting Irish because he took a gamble and won on it. You have good luck Irish. Those of you who begrudged him grow up and it seems you are focusing too much on your inability or refusal to pay the household charge so you regard anything as a tax :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Don't begrudge Fighting Irish because he took a gamble and won on it. You have good luck Irish.

He spent €100 euro. 50 x €2 = €100. He lost money, that's the current luck of the Irish right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭alphanine

Scratch cards are a way of taxing the dole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

WTF is this about scratch cards are a tax on the poor or stupid people. They are not a tax and shouldn't be regarded as one. A tax is some thing a person is legally obliged to pay. No one is legally obliged to buy a scratch card. Don't begrudge Fighting Irish because he took a gamble and won on it. You have good luck Irish. Those of you who begrudged him grow up and it seems you are focusing too much on your inability or refusal to pay the household charge so you regard anything as a tax :rolleyes:.

As was said earlier : " a tax on the stupid"

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

How about a little AH competition.

All those not paying the Household Charge instead use the money to buy scratch-cards and see if anyone shows a profit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

I followed this thread to see what comes of the 64 1e all cash scratch cards.

You better go through with it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

This post is taxing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

So technically they're not 'All Cash'. False advertising. Better call Lionel Hutz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Bobby1984

That's over two to one

Hang on , I'm not sure, but looking at those numbers I think I've figured out how to solve our debt crisis

Don't begrudge Fighting Irish because he took a gamble and won on it.

I hope ye are joking or else I am really mixed up with these figures. He didn't actually win, he lost €26 overall out of his original €100 (im giving him cash value for free tickets even though i doubt he will win €10 between all 5 tickets).

Just out of curiosity Fighting Irish how many winning tickets made up the €64. 1 in 3 wins is what they say so that's 17 - you had 5 free tickets so stats would say that you had 12 other winners

I didn't win though, i bout 50 2e all cash which is €100 in total :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Bobby1984 wrote: »
    I hope ye are joking or else I am really mixed up with these figures. He didn't actually win, he lost €26 overall out of his original €100 (im giving him cash value for free tickets even though i doubt he will win €10 between all 5 tickets).

Just out of curiosity Fighting Irish how many winning tickets made up the €64. 1 in 3 wins is what they say so that's 17 - you had 5 free tickets so stats would say that you had 12 other winners
    Captn Midnight is using IBRC accounting methods, whereby if you buy somthing worth €100 for €120 but sell it again for €75 you have turned a spectacular profit and deserve a bonus, a PA and a larger car. He will go far in Ireland.

Carroller wrote: »
    I followed this thread to see what comes of the 64 1e all cash scratch cards.

You better go through with it :(

I will but not til 2moro at least :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Bobby1984

I will but not til 2moro at least :o

Could be the weekend by time you are finished scratching :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

They should tax forum posts. People would only post if it was worthwhile to do so. Spammers would be poor.

Erm, on second thoughts...I don't want to be poor.

As for scratch cards...I dislike getting them in birthday/Christmas cards. Don't get me wrong...I appreciate the thought, but with the odds of winning being so low, I effectively gain nothing most of the time. But, it is the thought that counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Dartz

****it, a hundred euro you didn't think you'd have for a laugh. What the hell.... if OP had fun doing it it's his money.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladysarastro

Bobby1984 wrote: »

I think All Cash gold its 1 in 6.4 chance of winning...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

lol op, youre my hero

Good work OP.. One thing I miss about Ireland is doing the lotto every couple of weeks. Tax on the stupid? Fek that.. It's some good daydreaming for sake of 2euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

deisedevil wrote: »
    He spent €100 euro. 50 x €2 = €100. He lost money, that's the current luck of the Irish right there.

Go back and read the OP's earlier posts - he said 50 Euro was spent on the scratchcards, not 100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Go back and read the OP's earlier posts - he said 50 Euro was spent on the scratchcards, not 100.

Nope - see thread title: "Bought fifty €2 all cash today". Fifty scratch cards at €2 each means he spent €100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

He did win in one sense. I imagine he significantly beat the expected outcome of his bet. I don't think you would win €74 on average from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I wonder if he already paid his household charge or is he one of those who says he can't afford it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Is it not more of a tax on the eternally optimistic.

When I was in College I had an amazing hot streak on All Cash tickets. I won €50 on several occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

When I was in College I had an amazing hot streak on All Cash tickets. I won €50 on several occasions.

He bet his study partner €50 that he wouldn't win. The actuarial department of Quinn Insurance is in safe hands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Another NAMA accountant here
    Susie_Q wrote: »
    Nope - see thread title: "Bought fifty €2 all cash today". Fifty scratch cards at €2 each means he spent €100.

It couldn't have been any clearer

I dislike the Uk tabloids when some neanderthal family wins the lotto and the family proclaims they spent their last 2 quid on the ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

That's over two to one

But he was down €50 before he got the tickets (they are €1 arent they)

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

Some very high levels of dimness around here today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Unless you win €36 on the free ones you just wasted €100.

• Advertisement
Advertisement