Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bought fifty €2 all cash today

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

metalfest wrote: »
    1 in 5.1 wins cash, a free is not equivalent to cash :cool:

1 in 5.1 wins

Doesn't have to be a cash win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 kingofthenerds

did this before, such a waste of money. all i could think about was your man from kpmg driving around in his bmw while i was down 130 euro the pr1ck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

did this before, such a waste of money. all i could think about was your man from kpmg driving around in his bmw while i was down 130 euro the pr1ck
    Surely you can't hold that against the company. In order to make money they have to give out less than they take in. Therefore if you spend a lot of money on them...well, you are probably an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I agree that they are a stupid thing to spend money on, this was a once off.
    But you can't win if you're not in :)

Same could be said of Russian roulette ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I remember working on a big site for Pfizer down near Leopardstown in about 06 and one day it was shut down by the Health & Safety officer over some percieved breach. No one could work for about 4 hours so to stop all the men getting pi55ed off the bosses went and bought 1000 €2 scratchcards, one for every man on site.

The highest win was €50! Lots of 2s and 5s, but I'd say there was about a €700 return on the 2 grand they spent.

Never bought a scratchcard since!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I remember working on a big site for Pfizer down near Leopardstown in about 06 and one day it was shut down by the Health & Safety officer over some percieved breach. No one could work for about 4 hours so to stop all the men getting pi55ed off the bosses went and bought 1000 €2 scratchcards, one for every man on site.

The highest win was €50! Lots of 2s and 5s, but I'd say there was about a €700 return on the 2 grand they spent.

Never bought a scratchcard since!

So one scratchcard each killed the 4 hours of boredom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

You could have spent that money much more wisely

you could have bought 15x 6 packs beer and spent the rest on 'winning' scratch cards.

Just a thought

You could have spent that money much more wisely

you could have bought 15x 6 packs beer and spent the rest on 'winning' scratch cards.

Just a thought

ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

kowloon wrote: »
    Same could be said of Russian roulette ;).

Not true, in russian roulette you win by staying alive, so if you're not in, you definitly win!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You would be better spending the €100 down the local whorehouse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Good idea, you would get more than 50 scratches out of it

I couldn't give a fook :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Evening all :)

I just bought the crossword scratchcard.

Cost: €3
    Won: €10

Profit: €7 for 3 minutes work scratching the boxes

This time next year Rodney...........:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Just wondering what kind of looks people are getting in the shop when they are buying multiple scratch cards:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

On Friday, I had my birthday money on me burning a hole in my pocket, so on a whim, i bought €100′s worth of scratch cards - 50 x €1 and 25 x €2 scratch cards with the pseudo scientific aim of trying to figure out the following:

1) which are more productive – the €1 or the €2 scratchers
    2) what’s the percentage return

Also,
    3) also kill half an hour
    4) Maybe win big

After 30 mins. scratching like a scabies ridden dog, the following results were obtained:

€1 scratch cards: €22 in cash, and 2 x free cards
    €2 scratch cards: €25 in cash, and 2 x free cards
    A big pile of foil shavings
    Two slightly depressed human beings
    An empty bottle of wine

The experiment will continue until we either win big, or all the scratch cards stop producing cash or cards.

Yep, i really am that sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I hope you continue to update us as this progresses. Would be very interesting to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

On Friday, I had my birthday money on me burning a hole in my pocket, so on a whim, i bought €100′s worth of scratch cards - 50 x €1 and 25 x €2 scratch cards with the pseudo scientific aim of trying to figure out the following:

1) which are more productive – the €1 or the €2 scratchers
    2) what’s the percentage return

Also,
    3) also kill half an hour
    4) Maybe win big

After 30 mins. scratching like a scabies ridden dog, the following results were obtained:

€1 scratch cards: €22 in cash, and 2 x free cards
    €2 scratch cards: €25 in cash, and 2 x free cards
    A big pile of foil shavings
    Two slightly depressed human beings
    An empty bottle of wine

The experiment will continue until we either win big, or all the scratch cards stop producing cash or cards.

Yep, i really am that sad.

€100 bet you never win big

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I was shopping in tesco 2 years ago and a woman in front of me bought 10 €1 scratch cards, when I got to tue counter I asked for 2 €1 scratch cards but they were all out, the girl gave me a €2 scratch card instead, put it in my pocket and forgot about it, couple of hours later I scratched it €1000 happy days, haven't bought one since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

i used to buy scratchcards all the time.

the most i ever won was 25euros.

sure for all the money i spent over the years buying the bloody things the win cancelled out.

sure people win big money on them, but not many.

nowadays, when im tempted to buy one, thinking oh mabye this time... i put the money back in my pocket and put it towards something i really want like drinks, or some new music or movies

• Advertisement

UPDATE:
    Took the winnings from the first lot of scratchers and got more.
    I'm keeping the two lots separate, this is going to be complicated by the fact that i won €5 on one of the €2 cards so we now have a mix of €1 and €2 scratch cards in the €2 card pile.

€1 = €37 + 1 Free card
    €2 = €9 + 1 Free (€1) card
    More silver shavings (although most of these blew off my desk)
    One slightly irate co-worker who suddenly found a big pile of silver shavings on his desk (see above)

Single biggest win so far = €25 (from a €1 scratch card)

I have an urge to create a spreadsheet.......... i'll see how busy i am this afternoon at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I have an urge to create a spreadsheet.......... i'll see how busy i am this afternoon at work.

Obviously not working in the private sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

for our wedding we bought 100 €1 all cash as the favors. one lad won 50 and a few other got 2 and free ones. over the 100 the win average certainly wasnt the 6.6 as it says on the back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

sure for all the money i spent over the years buying the bloody things the win cancelled out.
    Yeah that's my thinking on it too... I win €2 every time I decide not to buy one.
    And I win €730 a year guaranteed by not buying one every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

No different than bookies is it, no doubt all precisely calculated by people with phds (who probably laugh at the idea of ever playing the lotto or buying a scratchcard) to strike the perfect balance between keeping them coming back for more and reaping maximum profit for the organisers. Better off if you do want to play these things setting up a direct debit to buy prize bonds from your account with the money every month, that way you're still gambling but your odds of winning are improving as time goes on and you add more numbers plus you dont lose the money, its there building into a rainy day fund for you.

Fun fact, the gambling lobby in America has managed to ban any form of prize bond system (where you're saving money instead of spending) in most places, keeps them raking in massive money from the poorest of the poor with that powerball crap where the odds of winning are astronomical.

UPDATE:
    For anyone still paying attention the scores on today's doors are:

€1 = €39 + 2 Free tickets
    €2 = 1 Free ticket (ooooooooh, failing)

Today's guest scratcher: My lovely assistant Andy Burrows (the previously mentioned co-worker who is still picking tiny bits of silver foil out of his beard)

Interesting facts in today's scratch-a-thon:
    Another €25 card!
    The first time two cards next to each other in the strip have produced winners!

Stay tuned for more mindless rubbish.

• Advertisement

I'll give you more!

I'll give you the shocking news that the €2 competitor is out of the game! Yep, no new winnings from the €2 cards.

But lets see what we DID win:

€1 = €16 + 4 Free cards.

woot.

Still not enough to retire on <sigh>.

More when i can be arsed.

Advertisement