Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hiring a scooter in Europe

• 28-03-2012 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Myself and the missus are going on holiday to Spain in May and we're planning on hiring a scooter to get around. I'm wondering what the story is with insurance? Has anyone here hired a scooter out foreign and what kind of insurance documents will I need to bring? Any advice on what I will need to bring with me, like licence and insurance docs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

its cheaper to hire a car

its easy tho
    bring licence and credit card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I know but I only have a licence for a bike, never had any interest in getting a car. Not yet anyway. I figure buzzing around on a scooter will be nice in sunny warm weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Blondie919 wrote: »
    I know but I only have a licence for a bike, never had any interest in getting a car. Not yet anyway. I figure buzzing around on a scooter will be nice in sunny warm weather.

oh it is

i got a bmw gs 650 for about 750 for a week iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Blondie919 wrote: »

Your car licence entitles you to Class M moped licence, so go in and get that before you go.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

galwaytt wrote: »
    Your car licence entitles you to Class M moped licence, so go in and get that before you go.

If he held a full car licence before Oct '06. The RSA took the automatic entitlement off then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,414 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Did either of you two read post no.3 ? :rolleyes:

OP, don't worry about insurance as the hirer organises that. Your bike licence will be fine (as long as it's not a learner permit!)

always got the impression when hiring there that they were surprised to see bike entitlement on a licence. Hired a Chinese 400cc scooter the last time which was nice and comfy two-up.

For those who just have a car licence, up to 50cc is no problem in Spain and you'd probably get up to 125cc in the lawless Canaries anyway. They don't care if you have Class M or not, as Class M only applies within Ireland - only A, B, C, D, E are EU-harmonised licence classes so any letter higher than that is a national thing only.

Scrap the cap!

Thanks ninja900, I have a full licence so I'm okay. I was thinking of hiring a 125cc scooter but maybe I should go for a 250cc instead if I can get one. A 125 might struggle with two of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭mikesp

Where in Spain are you going?

As the lads told you the hirer already has the insurance for the bikes done, you don't have to worry about it.

We're going to a place called La Herradura on the south coast. It's about 70 kms east of Malaga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,414 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Went all over the place in Lanzarote 2-up on a 125 scooter, and it's pretty hilly there. When you go from the south of the island to the north there's a very long straight climb which usually had a headwind, it struggled to get over 40mph, but we managed (did that trip 3 or 4 times during the holiday). The scooter engine wasn't in the best of shape I think, as it didn't feel like it had all that much more poke than the brand new 50cc Speedfight we'd hired the year before in Kos. The 50 was a bit small and wobbly but fine for local riding. The 400 was a whole other story and really nice to ride, we went all over Crete two-up on that.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
Advertisement