Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business & Entrepreneurial course (Free preferably)

Options
  • 28-03-2012 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I would like to enrol in a Business & Entrepreneurial course. I have no experience or knowledge - I know I can find courses online but I'll like to know if anyone has engaged in any courses recently, how did you find the course, would you recommend the course?

And any good books too - thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

Whereabouts are you based?
    Most County Enterprise boards run them regularly, I seen them advertised just this week in a local paper so they still are ongoing.

I did one before. At the time Id already set up an Ltd and academically had just a good mark in Leaving Certificate business.

The Start your own Business (SYOB) course was a good comprehensive overview, and I learnt a little in it, and most people would, but is not a be all and end all. They also ran a Tax course at the time, and it was excellent and really took the fear out of tax registration. Many of the courses come with on-site visits where a tutor will come out to you at your place of business. The courses should only be a nominal fee or free - dont go paying anywhere near €100 or more for one.

Depending on where you do it they can be great for giving you the chance to meet other startups.

Brian O'Kane Oaktree Press publish a few "SYOB" type books by Brian O'Kane. These include "Starting a Business in Ireland". They can be purchased in pdf from their website but are available in ALL main libraries. Its easier to read them and they can be used as a "Browse" book as opposed to cover to cover. I forget the names of all their books but they are considered the "Bible" of Business Start up in Ireland.

Another useful book is "Fire in the Belly" by Yanky Fachler. Good luck finding it though, I cant even find a link to buy it on his website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

TylerIE wrote: »
    Whereabouts are you based?
    Most County Enterprise boards run them regularly, I seen them advertised just this week in a local paper so they still are ongoing.

I did one before. At the time Id already set up an Ltd and academically had just a good mark in Leaving Certificate business.

The Start your own Business (SYOB) course was a good comprehensive overview, and I learnt a little in it, and most people would, but is not a be all and end all. They also ran a Tax course at the time, and it was excellent and really took the fear out of tax registration. Many of the courses come with on-site visits where a tutor will come out to you at your place of business. The courses should only be a nominal fee or free - dont go paying anywhere near €100 or more for one.

Depending on where you do it they can be great for giving you the chance to meet other startups.

Brian O'Kane Oaktree Press publish a few "SYOB" type books by Brian O'Kane. These include "Starting a Business in Ireland". They can be purchased in pdf from their website but are available in ALL main libraries. Its easier to read them and they can be used as a "Browse" book as opposed to cover to cover. I forget the names of all their books but they are considered the "Bible" of Business Start up in Ireland.

Another useful book is "Fire in the Belly" by Yanky Fachler. Good luck finding it though, I cant even find a link to buy it on his website.
    I am based in Dublin, city centre to be precise. I've just looked at courses in DCEB and I've seen a few that interest me - thank you.

I've signed up for the Ideas Generation day course as I want to know if I'm caught up for it. And would look for a few books to read before, reason for posting is because I don't know if I'm caught up for it - I am not naive but I want proper foundation on what to do.

If I'm still keen after that I'll sign up for SYOB course

Thank you very much for your reply, I'll appreciate more suggestions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

MIN2511 wrote: »
    I am based in Dublin, city centre to be precise. I've just looked at courses in DCEB and I've seen a few that interest me - thank you.

I've signed up for the Ideas Generation day course as I want to know if I'm caught up for it. And would look for a few books to read before, reason for posting is because I don't know if I'm caught up for it - I am not naive but I want proper foundation on what to do.

If I'm still keen after that I'll sign up for SYOB course

Thank you very much for your reply, I'll appreciate more suggestions :)

That "Fire in the Belly" book very much is about examining "Can you hack it" as opposed to just purely the practical side. None of the traditional Oak Tree Press books examine that any more than superficially, they just focus on the practicalities and legalities.

Advertisement