Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridge Milers and Olympic Harriers 10k - Sixmilebridge 18/05/2012

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 love not hate

I know, good aren't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭PainIsTemporary

Having an incentive for breaking 31:31 for the race makes sense. It insures a good quality field for race day. There are a lot of guys in the area capable of running those sort of times so it'll result in a very exciting race to watch for any spectators and it'll attract athletes from outside the area too. It's also very good for the future of the event.

Although a nice idea, giving €400 for the fastest 10k time in Clare/Limerick in the last 12 months to someone who doesn't necessarily have to run the race or even be there doesn't benefit the event at all. Personally I have no problem with the change, and I think it's a great idea. I won't be able to run this year unfortunately due to other commitments but I genuinely hope the event is a success and I hope to run it in the future.

There used to be an excellent 4 mile road race in Sixmilebridge around January each year and it always got a very good quality field. Delighted to see quality road racing returning to the area, and for a good cause too. Very best of luck to all running and involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Having an incentive for breaking 31:31 for the race makes sense. It insures a good quality field for race day. There are a lot of guys in the area capable of running those sort of times so it'll result in a very exciting race to watch for any spectators and it'll attract athletes from outside the area too. It's also very good for the future of the event.

Although a nice idea, giving €400 for the fastest 10k time in Clare/Limerick in the last 12 months to someone who doesn't necessarily have to run the race or even be there doesn't benefit the event at all. Personally I have no problem with the change, and I think it's a great idea. I won't be able to run this year unfortunately due to other commitments but I genuinely hope the event is a success and I hope to run it in the future.

Exactly, the only cohort of people that could have any sort of half-baked grounds for complaint would be someone who has ran 31:32 for 10k in the last 12 months.

One can only assume that the contrarion poster(s) here have posted extremely fast times and are miffed at missing out on €400. Please feel free to enlighten us if this is not the case.

Anyway, not sure if I'll make this one myself. Back running this week after London - feeling grand when I'm running but my plantar faciitis-achilles-tight calves troika of niggles hasn't really gone away.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭PainIsTemporary

I would have won the E400 had the old criteria applied. That is why I wanted to clarify my position on the change in the prize structure. I think the change is a good idea, and have contacted the race organizers tell them I have no problems with the changes for the reasons stated in my earlier post. It’s a much better and fairer idea, and will give an added incentive for the guys up front chasing a fast time, making for a top class race and adding some excitement for spectators too. Having pacers for Sub 40/50/60mins is also a fantastic idea! Would have loved to run the race this year but can’t make it down to Sixmilebridge on Friday evening due to work commitments in Dublin on Saturday morning. I will be travelling home on Saturday evening for my father’s birthday. But my mother and my sister hope to run it so it will be well supported by my family. Wishing the organizers, runners and everyone involved every success on the day. Hope to give the race a go next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭runningcoach

Seems to be a good deal of interest on who the pacers will be on the night - below is the confirmed line up for May 18th.

Sub 40[/FONT]Liz Hussey 2 times winner of Limerick womens marathon(2010 &2011)

Sub 45
    Amadeus 3.00 hr marathon in Rotterdam this year and paced Dublin & Limerick previously

Sub 50
    Shane Collins 3.29 Dublin marathon 2011 - paced Dingle HM and pacing Limerick 2.00 HM 2012

Sub 55
    Ger664 Paced Dublin 2011 and paced Limerick 2.00 HM 2012

Sub 60
    Runningcoach 1.35 Kinvara HM 2012 - paced Dublin 2011 and paced Limerick full 2012

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Seems to be a good deal of interest on who the pacers will be on the night - below is the confirmed line up for May 18th.

Sub 40[/FONT]Liz Hussey 2 times winner of Limerick womens marathon(2010 &2011)

Sub 45Amadeus 3.00 hr marathon in Rotterdam this year and paced Dublin & Limerick previously

Sub 50Shane Collins 3.29 Dublin marathon 2011 - paced Dingle HM and pacing Limerick 2.00 HM 2012

Sub 55Ger664 Paced Dublin 2011 and paced Limerick 2.00 HM 2012

Sub 60Runningcoach 1.35 Kinvara HM 2012 - paced Dublin 2011 and paced Limerick full 2012

Sub 60!!!! That must be a typo or you are being very kind to yourself ;)

Did the 4 hour marathon at the weekend take that much out of you?

dev123 wrote: »
    Sub 60!!!! That must be a typo or you are being very kind to yourself ;)

Did the 4 hour marathon at the weekend take that much out of you?

Ha Ha no my logic is that I will get more free drinks of the 60 min pacees due to nos we are expecting for that time band :D

Really enjoyed Sunday.Marathon recovery has gone very well but real proof will not be known until after Cork marathon ......

Ha Ha no my logic is that I will get more free drinks of the 60 min pacees due to nos we are expecting for that time band :D

Really enjoyed Sunday.Marathon recovery has gone very well but real proof will not be known until after Cork marathon ......

Thanks for pacing on Sunday. I lost ye around the 21 mile marker.

I'm going to invest in some salt tablets. I was a right mess by the time I crossed the finish line.

I didn't see you in the Locke bar so I will have to get you a pint in Six Mile Bridge after the 10k.

Just make sure it is not as hot as last year - sunny will do but not 27 degC.

Final club training run of the course takes place tomorrow morning from the square at 8am.

Any non club members wishing to come along are more than welcome to take part.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Seriously good raffle being organised by all accounts, rounds of golf, hampers, dinner vouchers, hotel breaks. Tickets being sold at tea'n'buns gathering immediately after run / race at GAA hall / pitch near the startline. This is for the charity aspect of the event - monies raised will be donated to Children's Ward in Regional Hospital and the local national school.

Make sure you all come back to the hall for food'n'drink'chat and get some tickets.

• Advertisement

Just checked out the course profile on the home page - just how steep are them hills?

Is it worth trying to run an even pace or just attack the bejaysus out of the hills and then hope to cruise home on what appears to be a flat-ish last 3-4 k?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Barnacle123

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Just checked out the course profile on the home page - just how steep are them hills?

It looks dramatic on the course profile, but in reality they're not that bad. There is "a bit of a pull" up the Ardmaclancy Road, but you'd hardly notice it;)
    Just before the finish there is a short steep enough hill, but you're only a few hundred yards from the finish, so you can give it all you've got!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

For every uphill, there is a downhill! Things are shaping up well for it now, a lot of work being put in by the two running clubs (Bridge Milers and Olympic Harriers) on this 10k event, great to see it working so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭CorkRunning

For anyone going to the 10k road race in Sixmilebridge next Friday, here is a map showing how to get to the GAA grounds.....

map2.jpg

For anyone living locally wishing to avoid the rush of registration tomorrow evening please note you can register this evening from 7-9pm in the main GAA hall.

We are really pleased with registrations to date which are well up on last year - its looks like pre race registration(5-6.15pm) will be very busy tonight and we are encouraging particapants to arrive in plenty of time for tonights races which will start at 6.30pm sharp.

The race results will be posted on www.sixmilebridge10k.com tomorrow.

Best of luck to all taking part.

Just back home from this and I wanted to congratulate Bridge Milers and Olympic Harriers on a great race.

The organisation was top notch. Registration took seconds and by creating pens at the start based on your target time (sub 40, 45, 50 etc.) it was the smoothest start to a race I've seen.

Having done 10 mile races and half marathons with water in cups the water in bottles this eve was a pleasent surprise. Although I was in too much of a jocker to take water at the second stop and barely wet my lips at the first one.

The course was great. Climbing in the first half but we got all that back and more in the first part of the second half. Looking back at my splits I slacked off a bit at mile 2 and 3 as I was trying to keep something in the tank for the finish. I got it going again on the downhill sections but should have embraced the pain a bit more. The hill in the last k was a tough but in fairness I met RunningCoach and Ger664 who warned me about it. Armed with local knowledge I upped the pace when I came to it to try pass a few who were flagging. Unbeknownst to myself I had only hit the first hill. Turning a corner revealed the actual hill Tom and Ger had been talking about :(. I smiled but inside I was dying. I kept the legs turning over until we got back out on to the main road with the finish area in sight. I tried to pick it up again and pushed on to the finish getting in by my watch at 45:58.

I got chicked right on the line. The photographer at the finish line couldn't get his camera ready quick enough to capture the moment for posterity (the bol***ks :D). In fairness, I passed the lady with about 400m to go and she just slipped in behind me. I was done up like a kipper - she knew she had the legs on me.

All in all a great race, a nice mug, a savage spread afterwards and a 5 minute improvement from last years Sixmilebridge 10k.

I will be back next year to try knock another 5 minutes of my time.

Ps. It was nice meeting you Overthebridge. I couldn't see you at the end and we were in no fit state to hold a conversation out on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

I hope there's a chair lift installed for next year. That last hill was brutal.

+1 for the starting pens. Worked really well. The ONLY thing I could fault the whole event on was it wasn't really clear where the start line was.
    Well marshalled, smooth start, manly sized mugs for a decent cuppa, great nosh. (but that hill....)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

I ran this today and it was a great event. Thanks to the organisers and everybody who helped out or made the food.

The starting pens together with the pacers were a good idea and the route was great - even that hill at the end ! :rolleyes:

Finally, it was good to see so many people out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Lads stop talking about that hill or he make us go up it 26 times next november.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

dev123 wrote: »
    Just back home from this and I wanted to congratulate Bridge Milers and Olympic Harriers on a great race.

The organisation was top notch. Registration took seconds and by creating pens at the start based on your target time (sub 40, 45, 50 etc.) it was the smoothest start to a race I've seen.

Having done 10 mile races and half marathons with water in cups the water in bottles this eve was a pleasent surprise. Although I was in too much of a jocker to take water at the second stop and barely wet my lips at the first one.

The course was great. Climbing in the first half but we got all that back and more in the first part of the second half. Looking back at my splits I slacked off a bit at mile 2 and 3 as I was trying to keep something in the tank for the finish. I got it going again on the downhill sections but should have embraced the pain a bit more. The hill in the last k was a tough but in fairness I met RunningCoach and Ger664 who warned me about it. Armed with local knowledge I upped the pace when I came to it to try pass a few who were flagging. Unbeknownst to myself I had only hit the first hill. Turning a corner revealed the actual hill Tom and Ger had been talking about :(. I smiled but inside I was dying. I kept the legs turning over until we got back out on to the main road with the finish area in sight. I tried to pick it up again and pushed on to the finish getting in by my watch at 45:58.

I got chicked right on the line. The photographer at the finish line couldn't get his camera ready quick enough to capture the moment for posterity (the bol***ks :D). In fairness, I passed the lady with about 400m to go and she just slipped in behind me. I was done up like a kipper - she knew she had the legs on me.

All in all a great race, a nice mug, a savage spread afterwards and a 5 minute improvement from last years Sixmilebridge 10k.

I will be back next year to try knock another 5 minutes of my time.

Ps. It was nice meeting you Overthebridge. I couldn't see you at the end and we were in no fit state to hold a conversation out on the course.

+ 1 on what Dev said. Well organised race. Good challenging, honest course. What you got downhill you got uphill.

I would agree with 5h4mr0(k in that there was no clear starting line. It may have been the last bollard. I wasn't 100%. It did cause me a small bit of confusion as I went off just ahead of the 45min pacer and he called his 1st mile split at 7.11 where as I had 7.15. But for me it doesn't take from the event one bit. I'll be singing yer praises in work on Monday and I'll try and rope in a few to come out with again next year..

I was overly optimistic with my own fitness and got home in just over 47mins. Which is 6 minutes quicker than last years 10k. I'll put it down as a training run for the Mungret 10k this Sunday ;-)

Dev123 it was great to get chatting, well breathing heavy at each other on the course. I saw you at the GAA club at the end but I had to dash to the loo and when I came I couldn't see you. Not to worry. I'll know your face at the next race and I'll come over and say hello.

P.S. How do I get one of those boards tech t-shirts ??

Congrats to all involved in the organisation of the race last night - from start to finish it was clearly an event created for runners by runners.

The starting pens were an excellent idea - been to lots of 10ks where the walkers and slower runners insist on been at the very front and causing havoc so the pens worked a treat and insured a smooth (and safe) start for all involved.

Really liked the course too - I ran fairly steadily for the first 5k or so. Had started off with the intention of keeping with the 40 min pacers but got a bit crowded out (and had the balloons hitting me in the face :P) so put on a bit of a spurt and ran the first half about 15-20 yards ahead of the group.

Was feeling in great shape at the turn so decided to up the pace a bit (having never managed to run sub-40 before I was still a bit anxious about a blow up). From 6k - 8k is probably the fastest section of any 10k route I've done...made up a huge amount of time here.

I'd say the last 'hill' was a killer for a lot of people (and would have killed me as well in the past) but the combination of months of winter marathon training and the fact that I run on a very similar hill 3 or 4 times a week meant that it didn't bother me too much.

Crossed the line in just under 39.30. Already looking forward to next 10k - have the "Sub 40 Minute Monkey" off my back now so should be able to push on from here. Imagine what I could do on a flat course?? ;)

Nice idea with the mugs at the end too...they're up there now with the famous Dundrum 10k towel as my favourite race reward.

Dev123 it was great to get chatting, well breathing heavy at each other on the course. I saw you at the GAA club at the end but I had to dash to the loo and when I came I couldn't see you. Not to worry. I'll know your face at the next race and I'll come over and say hello.

P.S. How do I get one of those boards tech t-shirts ??

No problem OTB. Will hopefully bump into you at the next race.

The tech tops were organised by donothoponpop on this thread last year. It might be worth posting something in there to bump the thread and see if anyone else in interested in arranging an order.

A massive thanks to all who took part yesterday (740 between 5k and 10k) which raised over 7500 euros (after costs) for 2 worthy causes and in Sergio Ciobanu the event now has a great champion (30:33).

Check out bridge milers or olympic harriers FB pages in the coming days for race photos.

To make the race happen yesterday we had at least 100 people willing to lend a hand so a sincere thanks to everyone.

If anyone has any problems with times not showing on the results listed on www.sixmilebridge10k.com please send me a pm and I will get it sorted.

And of course the race will take place next year with improvements ;)

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Congrats to all involved in the organisation of the race last night - from start to finish it was clearly an event created for runners by runners.

The starting pens were an excellent idea - been to lots of 10ks where the walkers and slower runners insist on been at the very front and causing havoc so the pens worked a treat and insured a smooth (and safe) start for all involved.

Really liked the course too - I ran fairly steadily for the first 5k or so. Had started off with the intention of keeping with the 40 min pacers but got a bit crowded out (and had the balloons hitting me in the face :P) so put on a bit of a spurt and ran the first half about 15-20 yards ahead of the group.

Was feeling in great shape at the turn so decided to up the pace a bit (having never managed to run sub-40 before I was still a bit anxious about a blow up). From 6k - 8k is probably the fastest section of any 10k route I've done...made up a huge amount of time here.

I'd say the last 'hill' was a killer for a lot of people (and would have killed me as well in the past) but the combination of months of winter marathon training and the fact that I run on a very similar hill 3 or 4 times a week meant that it didn't bother me too much.

Crossed the line in just under 39.30. Already looking forward to next 10k - have the "Sub 40 Minute Monkey" off my back now so should be able to push on from here. Imagine what I could do on a flat course?? ;)

Nice idea with the mugs at the end too...they're up there now with the famous Dundrum 10k towel as my favourite race reward.

Delighted you cracked 40 mins yesterday. Hope the pacer babes helped you :D I can see plenty more lads ready to break 40 mins if the girls agree to pace again next year :D

On that note special thanks to Tracey / Liz / Ger / Andrew / Shane on doing super jobs pacing yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 wvicky01

My family and I took part in the 5k, far too unfit for 10k. We really enjoyed it. Was great to see so much money raised for the school, worthy cause! I am sure I handed flyers to most of the competitors about the upcoming 10k in 2 weeks but for those I missed follow this link;

www.sixmilebridge10k.ie

Look forward to seeing ye all again in 2 weeks for another great event in aid of another great cause.

Some photo's from the race are now up on www.sixmilebridge10k.com

Plenty more of them to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Wow a star studded affair with country music legend Kenny Rogers and cuban speedster Fidel Castro breaking the top 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

tunguska wrote: »
    Wow a star studded affair with country music legend Kenny Rogers and cuban speedster Fidel Castro breaking the top 5.
    Good spot there :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement