Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan/Vegetarian Sunscreen

Options
  • 28-03-2012 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Okay so will be spending almost eight months in Lanzarote starting in June and although I doubt I will manage to fit enough suncream in my luggage to last me the full time I'd like to bring enough to do me until I can either find some over there or else until I have enough money to order it online.

I want something which contains no animal ingredients, preferably by a completely vegan company but I'll make do with something from a mostly vegan company. Had factor 25 on today, spent roughly an hour in the (Irish) sun and still managed to burn so I need quite a high factor. Lavera only seems to go factor 20 and Jason goes up to factor 45 but it contains oxybenzone, a synthetic oestrogen which can affect hormone levels in the body. Now if it were just for summer I might just ignore this but since I will be slathered in sunscreen all day, every day for such a long time I'd like something as natural as possible.

So any recommendations? Also aftersuns, are specific natural ones like Lavera's good or should I just go for aloe vera gel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Thanks. Had read one of them already which is where I had heard ofr Jason. Can't find an European site to buy badger and don't really have the money for postage.

The other thread I had somehow missed though so will look into some things mentioned in that.

Just posting a little update for anyone who might come across this in the future. Was in Evergreen on Shopstreet in Galway yesterday and they had the Jason facial sunscreen. It said 'new and improved' on the bottle and oxybenzone was not listed in the ingredients. I do not know if this is the case for the other sun screens but based on online reviews i have read it was in the original formula for the facial sunscreen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

"Skin Essentials by Mariga" has a sunscreen SPF30. It's an Irish company and most, if not all, of the products are suitable for vegans/vegetarians. I use their vegan stuff. I don't have the sunscreen so can't say for sure if it's vegan but you can drop them an email. They are very helpful and respond same day to email questions. All the products have the cruelty free sign.

Sunscreen SPF30
    The most important step in any anti ageing routine, this high protection lightweight cream also contains moisturising ingredients and anti-oxidants making it a treatment as well as a sunscreen 74ml

http://www.wexfordbeautysalon.com/BUY-SKINCARE.html

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭NecroSteve

Just my opinion here:

No need for sunscreen. By some accounts, that stuff increases the risk of skin cancer anyway. I have been to Spain and Italy for two weeks at a time and never used any, with minimal burning and a great tan afterwards. Just moderate your sun exposure, moisturise daily with aloe vera or something similar, and drink a lot of water. Once your skin adjusts to the sunshine, you'll be fine.

• Advertisement

NecroSteve wrote: »
    Just my opinion here:

No need for sunscreen. By some accounts, that stuff increases the risk of skin cancer anyway. I have been to Spain and Italy for two weeks at a time and never used any, with minimal burning and a great tan afterwards. Just moderate your sun exposure, moisturise daily with aloe vera or something similar, and drink a lot of water. Once your skin adjusts to the sunshine, you'll be fine.

Based on the fact you said 'great tan' I'm guessing you're not as pale as I am. I do not tan, at all, ever. I burn and go back to white again, that's it. Also there's a big difference between eight months and two weeks.

As for sunscreens causing skin cancer, the chemical filled ones, yes but as I said I'm looking for more natural ones which don't cause skin cancer or at least have less of a risk of doing so. Most natural sunscreens are mineral based so they provide a physical barrier between the sun and skin.

ETA: here was roughly five minutes of sunshine today and I got burnt on my face. T_T

Advertisement