Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SVP not to feed Eastern Europeans?

• 29-03-2012 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

The St Vincent de Paul is claiming it has been told not to feed or house destitute migrants from eastern European countries and they will "go home".
    Southern regional president of the SVP Brendan Dempsey said he believes there is an unwritten policy to urge homeless EU migrant workers to go back to their homelands.

"We are housing destitute migrants though I think the State would prefer if we did not," he said.

"It has been said to me by state employees who work in the area: ‘Do not feed or house them, then they will go home. If you feed them they will not go home.’ They don’t want them here."

There are no up-to-date figures for the number of non-Irish homeless.

The most recent figures available for the number of migrants accessing homeless services in Dublin are from 2008. A survey identified 303 foreign nationals out of 2,366 people. A further 444 did not state a nationality.

In Dublin, the Homeless Executive, which has responsibility for overseeing homeless services, said it is committed to responding to the needs of migrants and that accommodation on an emergency-needs basis is provided for anyone that requires it.

However, homeless migrants are treated separately to homeless Irish, and are given a one-off offer of a flight home. In 2011, 416 people from EU accession states were flown home. More than half of those were Romanian.

A pilot project began in January to try and relocate people back home, and has earmarked about 20 Polish and Lithuanians in Dublin for a "reconnection initiative".

It is understood the Polish government may also allocate money to assist Poles who have fallen on hard times.

Mr Dempsey said this would be a positive step but details were unclear.

"We have heard there is €15m available globally from the Polish government but we don’t know what will trickle down to those on the streets."

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/svp-told-dont-feed-destitute-migrants-so-theyll-go-home-188347.html#ixzz1qSKzNNK1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

:eek: If they don't feed them, they'll eat all the swans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Unless you're a short stroll from the border then going home is hardly an option if you're destitute.

Should SVP be buying them plane tickets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

And then they won't be able to fly home because all the swans will have been eaten. And then they will be hungry again...vicious circle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Jack_Russell

i blame Bertie.
    we should never have allowed them unlimited access in the first place imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

YES

Please someone please think of the swannnnns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Its the Irish famine all over again:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

i blame Bertie.

Um, being members of the EU granted them unlimited access, and you know what, YOU have unlimited access to every EU country too if you want. Which is why it's so cheap and easy to take a holiday.

As much as I deplore Bertie Ahern This isn't his fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

eth0 wrote: »
    Unless you're a short stroll from the border then going home is hardly an option if you're destitute.

Should SVP be buying them plane tickets?
    Everyone is entitled to a free plane ride home. Might have some difficulty getting back into Ireland later though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

meh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

meh

Pretty much. SVP wouldnt like to refuse anybody charity, but they are stretched beyond their resources, and do not have enough to fulfil all demands on them so why not try to discourage guests relying on charity to 'go home'? Tough love.

BTW...is everybody really entitled to a plane ticket home?

• Advertisement

Um, being members of the EU granted them unlimited access, and you know what, YOU have unlimited access to every EU country too if you want. Which is why it's so cheap and easy to take a holiday.

Germany & France opted out. and Bertie should have done the same.
    But he was too busy with other things it seems ......:(

darlett wrote: »
    BTW...is everybody really entitled to a plane ticket home?
    As far as I'm aware a deportation means a free ride. Even if you're from the EU though you won't get back into Ireland after that. Or many other places.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware a deportation means a free ride. Even if you're from the EU though you won't get back into Ireland after that. Or many other places.

I guess now that I think of it, the alternative of people ending up trapped and penniless in a country far from home doesnt work out well for anyone so it most be true.

We have an open border with the North so we pretty much do what the UK does in terms of migration, and they decided to go for the earliest date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Ha. Imagine if they stopped helping out the down and out Irish across the water and beyond. :p
    There'd be a population explosion over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

I wonder will they kill Piggy this time...

however i guess like many Irish homeless in London, these vagrants do not wish to go home.

the reasons are many, eg shame/pride, alcoholism/drug abuse, family problems, weather, the craic etc.

Johro wrote: »
    Ha. Imagine if they stopped helping out the down and out Irish across the water and beyond. :p
    There'd be a population explosion over here.

many Irish have been repatriated. Dr. Jerry Cowley ex TD was instrumental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Wouldn't fancy being stuck beside them on the plane home. The whiff.

Wattle wrote: »
    Wouldn't fancy being stuck beside them on the plane home. The whiff.
    I know. The whiff of the Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

i blame Bertie.

It always amazes me how said individuals could afford to trapse across the best part of Europe,cross 2 bodies of water and end up on europes furthest western point and cry 'poverty'

EarlERizer wrote: »
    It always amazes me how said individuals could afford to trapse across the best part of Europe,cross 2 bodies of water and end up on europes furthest western point and cry 'poverty'

in fairness many have fallen on hard times.

EarlERizer wrote: »
    Again, sure the Irish would never do anything like that...

Thats a bit rich coming from a dutch man.

Again, sure the Irish would never do anything like that...

of course they have. it happens everywhere.
    i don't understand what point you are trying to make :confused:

of course they have. it happens everywhere.
    i don't undersand what point you are trying to make :confused:
    The idea that a Polish unfortunate is less worthy of help than an Irish one when so many Irish are getting help abroad when they find themselves in the same situation.

Thats a bit rich coming from a dutch man.
    Not really. It was a joke. On the previous post.
    Also I've seen no evidence of 'the luck of the Irish'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Yes and come June there'll be a whole army of pissed up Irish tramps hitting their streets. Let's see how they like it.

Not really. It was a joke. On the previous post.
    Also I've seen no evidence of 'the luck of the Irish'.
    You don't seem to be adding much to the thread except ignorant comments about Irish people, dutchman.

The Irish government wants to move along destitute Eastern Europeans back to their home countries, just like every country in Europe is doing. I don't agree with the idea that charitable organsiations are being told not to help people, but it has nothing to do with "worth".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

The attitude from some posters here,which is bordering on racism,is disgusting.

Have people forgotten how us Irish emigrated to basically any country with a functioning economy not so long ago,and are currently doing the same again right now.

The idea that a Polish unfortunate is less worthy of help than an Irish one when so many Irish are getting help abroad when they find themselves in the same situation.

3 Reasons come to mind.

1. This country is broke.
    2. Most Irish in England have worked most of their working lives there and have contributed greatly to that economy, unlike the Eastern Europeans here.
    3. We Irish make much nicer drunks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Good enough for the fcukers. They lorded it over us for long enough during the boom. They were well fed then, and I didn't hear them complaining with the lifestyle this country afforded them.

With their silky plumage and aristocratic necks.

/rant

Bitter Irish Duck

You don't seem to be adding much to the thread except ignorant comments about Irish people, dutchman.

The Irish government wants to move along destitute Eastern Europeans back to their home countries, just like every country in Europe is doing. I don't agree with the idea that charitable organsiations are being told not to help people, but it has nothing to do with "worth".
    Oh ffs, they were jokey comments in response to some fairly ignorant comments tbh. I did add to the thread as well. Who mentioned 'worth'??
    My point is mainly that the whole of Europe is in the same shitty boat, we shouldn't be refusing anyone when it comes to helping out needy people, wherever/whoever they are and wherever they're from. Simple really.

Johro wrote:
    Oh ffs, they were jokey comments in response to some fairly ignorant comments tbh. I did add to the thread as well. Who mentioned 'worth'??
    My point is mainly that the whole of Europe is in the same shitty boat, we shouldn't be refusing anyone when it comes to helping out needy people, wherever/whoever they are and wherever they're from. Simple really.

You Dutch seem to make a bad habit of abusing people from other countries:
    Dutch want to throw out migrant Poles who can't find a job

Migrants out of work for three months 'should be kicked out of the country'
    Tenfold increase in Poles in four years in Holland

Dutch social affairs minister Henk Kamp has presented proposals to expel Polish and other Eastern European nationals who are without work for three months and have little prospect of finding any.

He also plans to withhold welfare benefits from those who have not learned Dutch.

The moves are likely to breach rules protecting freedom of work and movement for people within the EU.

Holland has about 200,000 migrant workers from Eastern Europe. Although this figure is far less than for some other countries – such as the million-plus who have come to Britain since Eastern European accession to the EU in 2004 – the number is growing rapidly.

Poland’s ambassador to the Netherlands said recent anti-Polish statements by politicians there ‘border on discrimination’.

There is a growing discontent with labour migrants in the Netherlands, where Poles are accused misusing the social benefit system.

In 2007 there were 20,000 Poles there, now there are close to 200,000, according to figures from the Polish Embassy in the country.

The rise has prompted a number of factories in the Netherlands to use Polish to communicate, with signs written in the language as well as the hiring of Polish managerial staff.
    You mentioned worth - "The idea that a Polish unfortunate is less worthy of help than an Irish one"

3 Reasons come to mind.

1. This country is broke.
    2. Most Irish in England have worked most of their working lives there and have contributed greatly to that economy, unlike the Eastern Europeans here.
    3. We Irish make much nicer drunks.
    1. So is the rest of Europe.
    2. Bollocks.
    3. Fair enough.

• Advertisement

If you cant find work after 6 months, I do'nt give a rat's arse what your nationality is, you should go home!

Why should the taxpayers of any state be expected to support international vagrants? They contribute nothing to their host country.

SVP have growing problems with meeting demand and resources running out, what would you suggest in the stead of this borderline racism?
    Women and children first? First come, first serve? Magic?

1. So is the rest of Europe.
    2. Bollocks.
    3. Fair enough.

1. Exactly. So stay @ home, unless you can find work. And go home if you cannot.
    2. Name me 1 Pole, or Lthuanian, who has contributed anything of note to this country.
    3. Aye! Personality goes a long way. Even (especially) for a vagrant.

You Dutch seem to make a bad habit of abusing people from other countries:

You mentioned worth - "The idea that a Polish unfortunate is less worthy of help than an Irish one"
    Worthy of help, sure. The fact that the Dutch government is at the same thing doesn't make it right now does it? I make no excuses for the current Dutch government. The Dutch generally have had a fairly poor record for years when it comes to racism, mainly aimed at immigrant workers, Turks and Moroccans for the most part.
    This kinda thing just gets worse in a recession. When people who are suffering the same fates turn on each other rather than helping each other out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Roche stated: "It is the view of the Irish government and a number of other governments that this idea that there is going to be a huge influx of immigrants is just not supported. The evidence is just not there for it. They are not going to flood to the west. The same rules are going to apply in all 15 states. There is no evidence to suggest that the people of the Czech Republic or Poland are less anxious to stay in their home as we are."

Dick Roche TD 2002
    In a letter to the Irish Times on 20th August 2002, Proinsias de Rossa claimed that a "trickle" would come: "It is a deliberate misrepresentation to suggest that tens of thousands will suddenly descend en masse on Ireland...The expected trickle of immigration to Ireland will on balance benefit the Irish economy...I estimate that fewer than 2,000 will choose our distant shores each year"

Proinsias de Rossa MEP August 2002

Our leaders either lied or they hadn't a clue what was going to happen

• Advertisement

Worthy of help, sure. The fact that the Dutch government is at the same thing doesn't make it right now does it?
    The difference is Ireland and the rest of the EU are staying within the agreed rules. The dutch are going that extra mile. Speaking of which perhaps you should consider taking your cultural dutch xenophobia and running baseless anti Irish commentary, and getting on a free flight to another thread, you've already made enough of a show of yourself and your country as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Presumably you were very vocal at the time about not granting access yeah ?

1. Exactly. So stay @ home, unless you can find work. And go home if you cannot.
    2. Name me 1 Pole, or Lthuanian, who has contributed anything of note to this country.
    3. Aye! Personality goes a long way. Even (especially) for a vagrant.
    1. Most go home anyway if they can't find work, those that don't deserve benefits just as much as any Irish person abroad.
    2. If they worked, they contributed.
    3. If I'm really honest, I can't f#ckin stand drunks.

when recession bites, every country should have the right to repatriate non-national vagrants if they so choose.

if i hold a party in my house and we run-out of food/drink guests either decide to buy some in, or they feck off home! SIMPLES.

1. Most go home anyway if they can't find work, those that don't deserve benefits just as much as any Irish person abroad.
    2. If they worked, they contributed.
    3. If I'm really honest, I can't f#ckin stand drunks.

1. those that don't ought to go home. 6 months is a fair time scale imo.(same for irish)
    2. those that worked got paid. a few months shovelling **** shouldn't mean a lifelong meal ticket.
    3. i've no prob with drunks, but only if i'm not subsidising their stupidity.

The difference is Ireland and the rest of the EU are staying within the agreed rules. The dutch are going that extra mile. Speaking of which perhaps you should consider taking your cultural dutch xenophobia and running baseless anti Irish commentary, and getting on a free flight to another thread, you've already made enough of a show of yourself and your country as it is.
    What I've shown is that I don't agree with the dutch governments right wing attitude and that I also don't like it in other people. I've never been anti Irish, I wouldn't be here if I didn't actually like Irish people. I've said so before.
    You, on the other hand, have shown yourself to be pretty aggressive.
    My xenophobia? I don't know what brought you there but maybe you should read my posts.

when recession bites, every country should have the right to repatriate non-national vagrants if they so choose.

if i hold a party in my house and we run-out of food/drink guests either decide to buy some in, or they feck off home! SIMPLES.
    What's simpler is all countries looking after their native and immigrant people equally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Mr Dempsey would do well to remember a time not so long ago when many of our own were scraping for survival across the pond.

It was all good having people over to do the jobs that we didn't want and needed filling when the good times were rolling,people aren't disposable after one use.

I'm sure he'd prefer all the Irish abroad to come home so he could look after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Germany and France are now opened as well, no restriction. I just wonder what happens when let's say the US adopt a similar stance and planes full of Irish illegals start landing at the Shannon Airport. As far as I know there are quite few of them over there nad they weren't even tempted to return by the Celtic Kitten. Instead of lobbying to have them legalized in the US, the Irish government should have them returned.
    Edited to add: many of the unemployed immigrants have been paying their taxes here while they had their jobs and even bought houses here so I'd say that while they were more than welcome in the good times why should they now feck off in the bad times? Hypocrisy, eh? And many are still willing to work in worse conditions than the Irish who are long-term unemployed. I start working really early and so I'd be meeting our cleaning ladies at around 6 or 5.30 in the morning. None of them is Irish, why's that? And they also have their families here but they go and earn extra money for their families. Any SAHM could do the same and then get some sleep after the school run instead of watching Jeremy Kyle or chatting on the Rollercoaster.
    Honestly, any of the cleaning staff has in my eyes more right to get SVP help should they need it than people who waste their energy whingeing about the lack of money and not looking for ways to get some extra cash. And I know that sometimes you can't help it and you will find yourself in a desperate situation without any positive outcome but why have different meters for people because of their different natonalities.
    With the attitudes like yours, the idea of leaving and handing the bank the keys from the house /and the Irish taxpayer with more burden because of yet another reposessed house/ is becoming more nad more attractive though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

The St Vincent de Paul is claiming it has been told not to feed or house destitute migrants from eastern European countries and they will "go home".
    Southern regional president of the SVP Brendan Dempsey said he believes there is an unwritten policy to urge homeless EU migrant workers to go back to their homelands.

"We are housing destitute migrants though I think the State would prefer if we did not," he said.

"It has been said to me by state employees who work in the area: ‘Do not feed or house them, then they will go home. If you feed them they will not go home.’ They don’t want them here."

There are no up-to-date figures for the number of non-Irish homeless.

The most recent figures available for the number of migrants accessing homeless services in Dublin are from 2008. A survey identified 303 foreign nationals out of 2,366 people. A further 444 did not state a nationality.

In Dublin, the Homeless Executive, which has responsibility for overseeing homeless services, said it is committed to responding to the needs of migrants and that accommodation on an emergency-needs basis is provided for anyone that requires it.

However, homeless migrants are treated separately to homeless Irish, and are given a one-off offer of a flight home. In 2011, 416 people from EU accession states were flown home. More than half of those were Romanian.

A pilot project began in January to try and relocate people back home, and has earmarked about 20 Polish and Lithuanians in Dublin for a "reconnection initiative".

It is understood the Polish government may also allocate money to assist Poles who have fallen on hard times.

Mr Dempsey said this would be a positive step but details were unclear.

"We have heard there is €15m available globally from the Polish government but we don’t know what will trickle down to those on the streets."

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/svp-told-dont-feed-destitute-migrants-so-theyll-go-home-188347.html#ixzz1qSKzNNK1
    If it helps to make sure that just Irish families are looked after in the tough times then i have no problem with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement