Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SVP not to feed Eastern Europeans?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

eth0 wrote: »
    Unless you're a short stroll from the border then going home is hardly an option if you're destitute.

Should SVP be buying them plane tickets?

That's what their own countries embassies are for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

2. Most Irish in England have worked most of their working lives there and have contributed greatly to that economy, unlike the Eastern Europeans here.
    2. Name me 1 Pole, or Lthuanian, who has contributed anything of note to this country.

Well, no rooting round to find the chip on your shoulder at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Mr Dempsey would do well to remember a time not so long ago when many of our own were scraping for survival across the pond.

It was all good having people over to do the jobs that we didn't want and needed filling when the good times were rolling,people aren't disposable after one use.

I'm sure he'd prefer all the Irish abroad to come home so he could look after them.

Did you read the first post ? Mr Dempsey is involved with SVP , not the government or the Homeless Agency.Every Low Threshold charity tries ,without prejudice, to provide assistance to anyone who needs assistance.

I work for a charity in Dublin and know some of the SVP staff in Cork and this directive caused disbelief when people became aware of it on Monday.

What the Homeless Agency is saying , is 'stop providing assistance for certain foreign nationals, in the hope that they will go home to avoid becoming destitute'.

Believe me, if you are using 'low threshold' facilities in Ireland, you're already destitute ...possibly suffering with addictions,metal health issues and in some cases because of habitual resisdancy rules surviving with no income.

There are some Polish etc here now who have spent most of their adult life here and their connection with Poland can be as little as just having nationality,nothing else.

If you stop feeding,clothing and providing housing for people they will slip further into destitution ,crime will increase , alcoholism and drug addiction will become worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭dougieruggie

2. Name me 1 Pole, or Lthuanian, who has contributed anything of note to this country.

They were an absolute god send for employers. Worked damn hard and were very productive. Much more so than Irish workers who seem to have the best college degrees but no common sense.

Anyway I think this is a disgraceful policy that is racist. I am ashamed of this country, we take, take, take. Immigrate to other countries when it suits us, take billions from the EU and then when we manage to **** up our own economy we decide to make the most vulnerable suffer.

Dont feed them because they're Eastern European? How barbaric and sick does that sound? Hitler introduced similar laws about jews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

EarlERizer wrote: »
    It always amazes me how said individuals could afford to trapse across the best part of Europe,cross 2 bodies of water and end up on europes furthest western point and cry 'poverty'
    Because they don't have any money left. It's pretty fuccking obvious, I would have thought.
    1. Exactly. So stay @ home, unless you can find work. And go home if you cannot.
    3. Aye! Personality goes a long way. Even (especially) for a vagrant.
    Wow.

1. Exactly. So stay @ home, unless you can find work. And go home if you cannot.

I love the term 'Ivory Tower' and the view from yours must have been great over the last few days with all the fine weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Much more so than Irish workers who seem to have the best college degrees but no common sense.
    Sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Jack_Russell

Show Time wrote: »
    If it helps to make sure that just Irish families are looked after in the tough times then i have no problem with it.

Exactly charity stats at home.

also i have no problem with the Americans deporting illegal Irish, but I understood they have been doing so for years. A friend of mine as deported in 1984!
    Very few if any Irish in America are signing on. Quite simply 'cos they would not qualify for American benefits, unlike the ridiclously generous payments we dole out. They come over here work for a few months and then expect us to subsidise there vagrant lifestyles.

No wonder they don't want to go back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

also i have no problem with the Americans deporting illegal Irish, but I understood they have been doing so for years. A friend of mine as deported in 1984!
    Very few if any Irish in America are signing on. Quite simply 'cos they would not qualify for American benefits, unlike the ridiclously generous payments we dole out. They come over here work for a few months and then expect us to subsidise there vagrant lifestyles.

You have no idea how the dole system works, do you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ah boards.ie
    Where you'll get banned for saying anything controversial about travelers and Nigerians or other groups

But if you want to declare all Irish workers were lazy dogs and fit for nothing and the Eastern Europeans were the best workers ever, it's fine and you'll get thanks for it

dougieruggie, of course the employers welcomed them, drive down wages

Johro wrote: »
    What's simpler is all countries looking after their native and immigrant people equally.

that's a silly suggestion imo.
    there's far more of them than exist on his little island.
    i think we'ld be swamped in no time.
    besides try geting the dole in one of these ex-Soviet states!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭dougieruggie

LOL, I think you've just shown yourself to be an uneducated moron who doesnt have a clue what he is talking about.

Homeless can't get the dole, if you didn't even know that then I think you stop contributing to this thread.

Perhaps you would feel more at home in Learning disabilities forum?

Mod

Poster banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

keith16 wrote: »
    And then they won't be able to fly home because all the swans will have been eaten. And then they will be hungry again...vicious circle.

they could use the left over swan wings to fly home themselves :D

Good enough for the fcukers. They lorded it over us for long enough during the boom. They were well fed then, and I didn't hear them complaining with the lifestyle this country afforded them.

With their silky plumage and aristocratic necks.

/rant

Bitter Irish Duck

i think you bitter irish ducks have more to worry about... many many chinese restaurants here serving duck chow mein ;)

They were an absolute god send for employers. Worked damn hard and were very productive. Much more so than Irish workers who seem to have the best college degrees but no common sense.

Anyway I think this is a disgraceful policy that is racist. I am ashamed of this country, we take, take, take. Immigrate to other countries when it suits us, take Borrowed billions from the EU and then when we manage to **** up our own economy we decide to make the most vulnerable suffer.

Dont feed them because they're Eastern European? How barbaric and sick does that sound? Hitler introduced similar laws about jews.

fyp get your facts right first

the EU gave us nothing for free... we the tax payers have to pay back the money the gov borrowed with interest

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Ah boards.ie
    Where you'll get banned for saying anything controversial about travelers and Nigerians or other groups

But if you want to declare all Irish workers were lazy dogs and fit for nothing and the Eastern Europeans were the best workers ever, it's fine and you'll get thanks for it

dougieruggie, of course the employers welcomed them, drive down wages

well my local part is full of surly, drunk poles, liths, latvians etc.
    i think the fine weather is bringing 'em out.
    sadly we appear to have been left with the dregs.
    i have reported quite a few to the Gardai, as they were shouting at/abusing children.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

i have reported quite a few to the Gardai, as they were shouting at/abusing children.
    Well, just over the corner we have a local part which is full of surly drunk Irish, who have fights in the streets, live from the dole, SVP, car theft and burglaries to the extent that my neighbours and me are afraid of them. Last time they even burned down one of the houses because the person who rented it owned them money for drugs and booze. Yesterday I was stopped by a group of Travellers, a very much Irish product who were looking for the local Court House.
    I still wouldn't say all Irish are the same and say they don't deserve the money they get from the State and which also comes from the taxes I pay.

haminka wrote: »
    Well, just over the corner we have a local part which is full of surly drunk Irish, who have fights in the streets, live from the dole, SVP, car theft and burglaries to the extent that my neighbours and me are afraid of them. Last time they even burned down one of the houses because the person who rented it owned them money for drugs and booze. Yesterday I was stopped by a group of Travellers, a very much Irish product who were looking for the local Court House.
    I still wouldn't say all Irish are the same and say they don't deserve the money they get from the State and which also comes from the taxes I pay.

you sound like your living in a right ****-hole. but as you point illustrates and as i have repeatedly said, we have enough local/home-grown vagrants, scrougers & drunks.
    we do not need Eastern European ones, so they should be encouraged to go home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

sounds like balbriggan, 30 choppers loaded with napalm would sort it :)

sounds like balbriggan, 30 choppers loaded with napalm would sort it :)

i live in a very quite area where crime is virtually non-existent, so we are keen to keep it that way.

besides i dont think we can afford 30 choppers. Raleigh choppers maybe?

• Advertisement

i live in a very quite area where crime is virtually non-existent, so we are keen to keep it that way.

besides i dont think we can afford 30 choppers. Raleigh choppers maybe?

get the army to do it....its not as if they have much to do these days anyways... it might give the government a reason not to close all the army barracks

Anyway I think this is a disgraceful policy that is racist. I am ashamed of this country, we take, take, take. Immigrate to other countries when it suits us, take billions from the EU and then when we manage to **** up our own economy we decide to make the most vulnerable suffer.

as another poster correctly pointed out, your comment is factually incorrect and your "logic" flawed.
    also to attempt to compare a policy to encourage migrants who have fallen on hard times to return to the bosom of their native lands, with the holocaust is appalling imo.

get the army to do it....its not as if they have much to do these days anyways... it might give the government a reason not to close all the army barracks

Aye! they'ld look a fine sight on those Raleigh choppers, lobbing tins of lipbalm at our Eastern european friends.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsYnhVITf9E

you sound like your living in a right ****-hole. but as you point illustrates and as i have repeatedly said, we have enough local/home-grown vagrants, scrougers & drunks.
    we do not need Eastern European ones, so they should be encouraged to go home.
    No, actually I don't. And the area I live in directly is very nice - it's just the area over the corner that's so bad.
    I'm actually foreign myself, coming from that very baaaaaad Eastern European region, just like plenty of other decent Eastern Europeans here. I have lived in Ireland for 12 years, never without a job. I pay my taxes, never been late with any bill or mortgage payments. Both of my cars were Irish, regularly serviced, NCTed, taxed and insured. I only get the child benefit from the State, regularly support Irish based charities and donate my old clothes to SVP. I even paid the bloody household charge as the proud owner of a house in Ireland. Even though me and my husband are foreign, both coming from different parts of Europe, I feel very strong about my child being integrated in the Irish society and made sure my childminder is Irish so that my daughter speaks fluent English from the very beginning /plus two other languages, mine and my husband's/. I have Irish neighbours whose children live abroad, one of my neighbours might never see two of her daughters again because they have been living illegally in the USA for years, have their families there but can never leave it because they couldn't come back.
    My country has experienced several waves of emigration, almost as much as the Irish and I always wonder how come the Irish still manage having all those stupid xenophobic remarks when their own history /and present/ isn't very much different from that of other countries who experienced waves of emigration throughout their history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

I'm actually foreign myself, coming from that very baaaaaad Eastern European region, just like plenty of other decent Eastern Europeans here. . . .

It would be xenophobic to ask that yourself and your family are repatriated solely for being foreign. It is not xenophobic to ask that an unsustainable number of people that aren't in a position to contribute to Irish society are repatriated to their home country which has an established welfare system of its own.

As there is a finite amount of resources to support people, obviously it is incumbent upon us to choose where that is directed. If it is a question of necessity then people with options at the other end of an airplane ride, should be encouraged to take it.

It would be xenophobic to ask that yourself and your family are repatriated solely for being foreign. It is not xenophobic to ask that an unsustainable number of people that aren't in a position to contribute to Irish society are repatriated to their home country which has an established welfare system of its own.

As there is a finite amount of resources to support people, obviously it is incumbent upon us to choose where that is directed. If it is a question of necessity then people with options at the other end of an airplane ride, should be encouraged to take it.

If I were in a situation where I needed social support, I'd be quite surprised if anyone told me that I have to repatriate and cannot demand any social benefits here. Especially looking back at the years I was paying my share of taxes in Ireland and contributed to the economy. It would also mean uprooting my child and abandoning the house we bought here. Leaving a country after a person has been living somewhere for a long time /and legally, I would stress/ is not that easy.
    I am all for looking at the overall overhaul of the social system - I have never seen so many allowances in my life and the idea that it is /or at least/ was possible to ask for money even for your child's confirmation party while on social benefits is ridiculous in my opinion.
    It's actually quite funny - there's the talk of surly drunk Polish while most of the drunks in Ireland are the "natives". Most of those killed on the roads while drunk are Irish. When an Irish person dies abroad during their vacation because they were drunk, everybody feels sorry for him and the family because the "poor fella only wanted to have some good time". The same happens here with a foreigner, they are all bloody drunks, behaving irresponsibly and just typically for where they come from.
    Yep, Ireland should get rid of the social system spongers - but that also includes the natives who are out there for an easy ride. If people get the offer to leave the country and accept it, why not. But I really like the generalizations. And this is from the nation that felt insulted at this :

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4QeBZAtzmVY/StXM-e9l4gI/AAAAAAAAAhM/Er8qC8sPJiw/s400/no_irish.jpg

If I were in a situation where I needed social support, I'd be quite surprised if anyone told me that I have to repatriate and cannot demand any social benefits here.

You seem fixated upon this whole Polish stereotype versus Irish stereotype when really it is of no importance. I'm not sure why each of your replies goes into such detail about it when this article is solely about whether to feed and house foreign nationals or native Irish.

I put it to you that repatriating migrants that have no assets or any real stake in this country to their country of origin where they can benefit from their own social welfare system thus freeing up resources for people that have no other option but to stay here is not xenophobic or cruel.

Nobody would consider the triage system in a hospital xenophobic and unfortunately these days with the state finances as they are Social Welfare is going to have to adopt a similar system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

It's actually quite funny - there's the talk of surly drunk Polish while most of the drunks in Ireland are the "natives".

Well of course

You're comparing just over one hundred thousand against millions

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

No, actually I don't. And the area I live in directly is very nice - it's just the area over the corner that's so bad.
    I'm actually foreign myself, coming from that very baaaaaad Eastern European region, just like plenty of other decent Eastern Europeans here. I have lived in Ireland for 12 years, never without a job. I pay my taxes, never been late with any bill or mortgage payments. Both of my cars were Irish, regularly serviced, NCTed, taxed and insured. I only get the child benefit from the State, regularly support Irish based charities and donate my old clothes to SVP. I even paid the bloody household charge as the proud owner of a house in Ireland. Even though me and my husband are foreign, both coming from different parts of Europe, I feel very strong about my child being integrated in the Irish society and made sure my childminder is Irish so that my daughter speaks fluent English from the very beginning /plus two other languages, mine and my husband's/. I have Irish neighbours whose children live abroad, one of my neighbours might never see two of her daughters again because they have been living illegally in the USA for years, have their families there but can never leave it because they couldn't come back.
    My country has experienced several waves of emigration, almost as much as the Irish and I always wonder how come the Irish still manage having all those stupid xenophobic remarks when their own history /and present/ isn't very much different from that of other countries who experienced waves of emigration throughout their history.

Do as i say and not as I do.

Remember that boards.ie is not representative.

• Advertisement

You seem fixated upon this whole Polish stereotype versus Irish stereotype when really it is of no importance. I'm not sure why each of your replies goes into such detail about it when this article is solely about whether to feed and house foreign nationals or native Irish.

I put it to you that repatriating migrants that have no assets or any real stake in this country to their country of origin where they can benefit from their own social welfare system thus freeing up resources for people that have no other option but to stay here is not xenophobic or cruel.

Nobody would consider the triage system in a hospital xenophobic and unfortunately these days with the state finances as they are Social Welfare is going to have to adopt a similar system.

I'm not Polish so I don't need to be fixated on anything Polish.
    I'm pointing out the hypocrisy in looking at people in social need and the fact that the charities are encouraged not to give a helping hand someone on the street just because he doesn't happen to be Irish.
    Well, I'm not Irish but I live here and support those charities from my taxes and other contributions so I feel insulted at the idea that organizations who are out there and should support the poorest are making the selection by nationality a priority.

Well of course

My own country is population-wise similar to Ireland. There are 38 millions of Poles so statistically a much bigger chance to meet a rotten Polish egg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Well of course

i would reckon the immigrant population from the Baltic states make-up a highly disproportionate percentage of drunken layabouts, as they do our dole queues, but i take your point that in absolute terms they are smaller naturally as there is far less of them.

ask any Gaurd about drunk drivers and the will tell you they also represent a disproportionate number although this has dropped drastically with the economic downturn.

'tis an ill wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Um, being members of the EU granted them unlimited access, and you know what, YOU have unlimited access to every EU country too if you want. Which is why it's so cheap and easy to take a holiday.

As much as I deplore Bertie Ahern This isn't his fault.

Being in the eu has fúck all to do with the price of holidays!
    Other that is than spending euros means we don't have currency fluctuations with most of europe to consider.

I'm pointing out the hypocrisy in looking at people in social need and the fact that the charities are encouraged not to give a helping hand someone on the street just because he doesn't happen to be Irish.
    Well, I'm not Irish but I live here and support those charities from my taxes and other contributions so I feel insulted at the idea that organizations who are out there and should support the poorest are making the selection by nationality a priority.

charity begins at home.
    same goes for overseas aid imo.
    let Bono & Geldof adopt them!

Aquila wrote: »
    Wow just wow at certain comments here
    So much for a thousand welcomes indeed..

that's a bit unfair Aquila.
    Irish people are copping on that's all.
    we're tired of supporting foreigners (and native Irish also) who contribute little/nothing.

What's wrong with that?:confused:

charity begins at home.
    same goes for overseas aid imo.
    let Bono & Geldof adopt them!

I don't think you ever heard of charities who support people living in Ireland?
    SVP, Simon, Barnados etc .... Strange, I did, even ran the marathons supporting some of the charities who are active in Ireland FOR people living in Ireland. I don't contribute to overseas aid as a principle because I believe in support of local community. And I don't care whether the person is Irish or Polish or Lithuanian.

i would reckon the immigrant population from the Baltic states make-up a highly disproportionate percentage of drunken layabouts, as they do our dole queues, but i take your point that in absolute terms they are smaller naturally as there is far less of them.

ask any Gaurd about drunk drivers and the will tell you they also represent a disproportionate number although this has dropped drastically with the economic downturn.

'tis an ill wind.

Anecdotal evidence ? or can you give us all a source ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The attitude from some posters here,which is bordering on racism,is disgusting.

Have people forgotten how us Irish emigrated to basically any country with a functioning economy not so long ago,and are currently doing the same again right now.

Not strictly true, if Irish go to the US, australia, canada, where ever, theyre not entitled to dole and handouts for absolutely anything and everything. If they lose their jobs then they go hungry and usually come home.

Many immigrants arrived here purely for the excessive and ridiculously easy access to welfare handouts. Very very few Roma have actually worked here, yet a huge amount of them are on some form of welfare and are being housed. They contributed absolutely nothing to this country and therefore deserve absolutely nothing.

I have no problem with helping those that came here to work and have since lost their jobs, its the people who came here purely to scrounge and live off the state that i have a problem with. They should be deported without leave to appeal and banned from re-entry...forever.

Well that was my point.

That's not hypocrisy.

You forget that these people are supported by the Irish State and its associated outreach programs. However during the next budget the amount of money available for social welfare programs is being reduced again.

Is it really a terrible thing that a couple of hundred people are repatriated to their own fully functioning welfare states so that we can avoid imposing a cut on homeless facilities across the board?

Also I find it worrying that you seem to think that no Eastern European country is capable of caring for their own damaged citizens as well as Ireland can. That's a bit of a negative stereotype to adhere to.

CJC999 wrote: »
    Not strictly true, if Irish go to the US, australia, canada, where ever, theyre not entitled to dole and handouts for absolutely anything and everything. If they lose their jobs then they go hungry and usually come home.

Many immigrants arrived here purely for the excessive and ridiculously easy access to welfare handouts. Very very few Roma have actually worked here, yet a huge amount of them are on some form of welfare and are being housed. They contributed absolutely nothing to this country and therefore deserve absolutely nothing.

I have no problem with helping those that came here to work and have since lost their jobs, its the people who came here purely to scrounge and live off the state that i have a problem with. They should be deported without leave to appeal and banned from re-entry...forever.

You have to satisfy Habitual Residency Conditions to get any social welfare payment in Ireland.

Its extremely difficult for Roma to satisfy Habitual Residency condition,there is not a huge amount on some form of welfare and being housed.

We need to stop the 'us' and 'them' mentality. Unless 'us' is those who are working or who are willing and able to work but genuinely unable to find a job as opposed to 'them' those who see welfare as a way of life they are entitled to. The solution has to be the same, we can't expel our own so we can't expel other Europeans either. What we can do is start by drastically reducing the dole of those who have never worked for whatever reason (Irish and EU). Use this money to invest in job creation and gradually lower the dole for those who won't work to the point where it is enough to buy basic food (€80 a week for an adult, €120 for two and €30 per child).

mattjack wrote: »
    You have to satisfy Habitual Residency Conditions to get any social welfare payment in Ireland.

Its extremely difficult for Roma to satisfy Habitual Residency condition,there is not a huge amount on some form of welfare and being housed.

the roma do indeed get social welfare & housing here.

as most of the roma here are actually italian born all they need to get past the HRC is to have worked in any EU state

see http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/habres.aspx#sect3

Well that was my point.

That's not hypocrisy.

You forget that these people are supported by the Irish State and its associated outreach programs. However during the next budget the amount of money available for social welfare programs is being reduced again.

Is it really a terrible thing that a couple of hundred people are repatriated to their own fully functioning welfare states so that we can avoid imposing a cut on homeless facilities across the board?

Also I find it worrying that you seem to think that no Eastern European country is capable of caring for their own damaged citizens as well as Ireland can. That's a bit of a negative stereotype to adhere to.

Would you mind quoting me on where exactly I said that no Eastern European country is capable of caring for their own damaged citizens?

• Advertisement

Would you mind quoting me on where exactly I said that no Eastern European country is capable of caring for their own damaged citizens?

I inferred it from your comments constantly dismissing or attacking any idea of repatriation.

If Eastern European country's have welfare systems that are as capable as ours at looking after people then what does it matter where people receive their benefits from? Unless you believe they're not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Aquila wrote: »
    dont ruin their stereotypical perception of Central/Eastern Europe..vodka for all!!!!!

...bleak concrete housing for others......

as most of the roma here are actually italian born all they need to get past the HRC is to have worked in any EU state

To get past the HRC you must have worked in Ireland, not the EU. The HRC is designed to stop people from the U claiming benefits here without having worked here. You can't work in Italy and then claim residency here.

I've got that paperwork in my hand about HRC,but I can't find anything to say most Roma are Italian born.

• Advertisement
Advertisement