Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A little help/advice/C&C on a few pics

• 29-03-2012 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I've got a voucher for a canvas print and want to pick a good photo. I have a couple from NY recently that I took and don't know which to pick and how to touch them up. Would anyone be able to help me out a little by pointing out which are actually good, which are muck and where they need to be touched up. I've messed around with 3 and 4 a bit already (see below), is it too far? Any comments would be appreciated.

Chrysler.jpg
    IMG_0295.JPG
    ny.jpg
    grand%2520central.jpg
    empire%25205th.jpg
    IMG_3460.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

3 or 4 for me, I would straighten 3 using the lampost as the reference. Just looks a bit off to me even with the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

I quite like 1. and 4. though I'd say four was my favorite and I'd love to see it in black and white, it captured a lot of the spirit that you get in NYC and its refusal to ever sleep. I think it depends on your connection with the city, I lived in NYC on and off for about 2yrs and apart from the underground clubs and shopping there was no real bond.

I think because of that shots of NYC always looks a little cliched in my own eyes. I definitely think the first and fourth ones are the strongest though and I really like the lighting on the Empire State building especially with the lone cloud. I don't know if you captured it? but the sign for Broadway and west 31st street makes a good photo too but then a lot of people have snapped it with the Empire State building in the background. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I quite like 1. and 4. though I'd say four was my favorite and I'd love to see it in black and white, it captured a lot of the spirit that you get in NYC and its refusal to ever sleep. I think it depends on your connection with the city, I lived in NYC on and off for about 2yrs and apart from the underground clubs and shopping there was no real bond.

I think because of that shots of NYC always looks a little cliched in my own eyes. I definitely think the first and fourth ones are the strongest though and I really like the lighting on the Empire State building especially with the lone cloud. I don't know if you captured it? but the sign for Broadway and west 31st street makes a good photo too but then a lot of people have snapped it with the Empire State building in the background. :)

That's the Chrysler Building. :rolleyes:

They look a little dark to me OP, 2 in particular. 1 or 3 stand out for me. 6 needs to be straightened and perhaps cropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

#1 is the winner for me, it would look super printed on your wall. As said already, all of the shots are very underexposed and would need to be brightened.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

Darn I thought I said Chrysler Building (long night), but yeah I like the lighting on the building itself. It would be easy enough to brighten up the sky but then you might lose a little of the impact that the cloud brings. What lens did you use on the first shot and did you shoot from Rockerfeller Center? they say you can't bring up a tripod but its easy enough to sneak one in and its great to really capture the skyline at night. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Nice shots. I think the b/w shots are underexposed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 niall_er

Thanks for all the advice and tips folks. I'll do my amateur best to brighten up the b/w shots. Think I'll get 2 of them printed. I love the Chrysler building so that's probably my first choice, have to think about the 2nd. Lisatiffany, I actually took the shot from street level couple of blocks away with the standard lens that came with the camera (18-55mm I think?). I agree that 5 is kind of a cliched. I must pick up a tripod for some night shots. Super help guys, THANKS!

Advertisement