Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lawncare

• 29-03-2012 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭

At the ripe old age of 29 I have become very interested in my lawn (around the house dudes)

I think it's the warm weather and the first cut with that smell in your nostrils. I don't even own the house but I'm gonna make a good job of the lawn and bask in its glory. First job is to sort out the moss, then dig a few beds.

Anyone feel this urge?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

This is a euphemism, right?

I cut my grass regularly >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

You OOOOOOOOOOLD:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Lawn/pubes joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Get yourself down to the beer garden instead. Poor showing OP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

I might pebble dash the weeds the next time i fall asleep in the garden drunk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

Ah lads, is there a better mattress than a well kept lawn with the bees a buzzin and the birds a chirpin and the beer quite cold and the girl beside you lookin damn fine in the sun (I think women in Ireland are solar powered, the little sun we get makes them ten times hotter and a hell of a lot hornier)

It's the little things I'm telling you, create your own little Eden and be the first to sin it it too, it's f*ckin poetry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

John Doe1 wrote: »
    You OOOOOOOOOOLD:D

You know you're definitely old when you start looking up on-line reviews of lawnmowers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

You know you're definitely old when you start looking up on-line reviews of lawnmowers.
    You know you're in an economic boom when you buy a leaf blower. The shame...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i hate cutting the grass. i do love the smell though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Johro wrote: »
    You know you're in an economic boom when you buy a leaf blower. The shame...

Especially when you don't have any leaves to blow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP, your man card is up for review. Proceed with extreme caution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Ah lads, is there a better mattress than a well kept lawn

Yeah its called memory foam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,281 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You cut your own grass?

Peasants!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Don't kids go around offering lo cut lawns any more.

/all fields in my day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

This is how I do it.

The goat finishes the edges / corners for me....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Don't bother, it's not worth it.

You'll bask in your lovely soft short grass for a day or two. So soft, so green, so fragrant! You'll love to just stand outside and look at it, even sit on the spongy, forgiving earth.

Until the first child walks past with a football under his arm.

Your heart will leap just a little, and you'll get a small rush of adrenaline, but you'll quickly calm down and realise he's just a kid walking past, he's no threat to your lawn.

But you won't really relax.

Every child you see will put you on alert. Soon, you'll find yourself occasionally standing at the window whenever you have a spare moment. After you do this a few times without realising, you'll become aware of your actions. You might laugh and tell yourself you're not becoming paranoid.

But the next day you'll be back at that window, watching to make sure no-one does anything to your precious lawn.
    You'll begin to curse fine weather like this, as it will bring the children out in large numbers, with their shoes which seem so small yet seem to leave such large swathes of flattened grass in their wake!!

One day you'll come to the window and see some children out on the street playing football. You'll tense up, catch your breath.
    "Relax," you'll tell yourself, "You're being silly!"

"But am I?" you'll quickly respond with. "They don't seem to care where they kick the ball, and look at how hard they hit it! If it got near the lawn..."
    But you'll tell yourself to relax again, and decide to move away from the window, after just a minute more...

"THEY'RE USING THE DRIVEWAY AS GOALS!!" you scream in your head!! but no, wait... they're using next door's driveway. Not too bad, but still quite close. They could easily... THE KEEPER STOPS IT WITH HIS FOOT AND IT'S COMING THIS WAY!!... but it stays out on the footpath.
    You try to breath normally. No-one takes a shot for a few minutes.
    Until one of them swings his leg wildly, slices his shot across the face of the goal AND THERE IT IS, BOUNCING ON YOUR LAWN, HAMMERING DOWN THAT BEAUTIFUL GRASS YOU SPENT SO LONG ON!! AND NOW IT'S ROLLING LIKE A LITTLE STEAMROLLER OVER IT! AND THE KEEPER IS RUNNING IN AFTER IT WITH HIS HUGE, BRUTISH FEET, DOESN'T HE SEE? IT'S ALL JUST TOO MUCH TO...

AND YOU SWING THE WINDOW OPEN AND SHAKING YOUR FIST, SCREAM: "GET OFF MY BLOODY LAWN!!"

And now you're lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gevie Stee

I prefer concrete, less hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I hate lawn care, but it is nicer and better then cobble or concrete.

We are in the time of genetic manipulation so why don't they get the finger out and give me lawn that only grows 5cms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

So we are still talking about actual lawns?

Thread disapoints.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Don't bother, it's not worth it.

You'll bask in your lovely soft short grass for a day or two. So soft, so green, so fragrant! You'll love to just stand outside and look at it, even sit on the spongy, forgiving earth.

Until the first child walks past with a football under his arm.

Your heart will leap just a little, and you'll get a small rush of adrenaline, but you'll quickly calm down and realise he's just a kid walking past, he's no threat to your lawn.

But you won't really relax.

Every child you see will put you on alert. Soon, you'll find yourself occasionally standing at the window whenever you have a spare moment. After you do this a few times without realising, you'll become aware of your actions. You might laugh and tell yourself you're not becoming paranoid.

But the next day you'll be back at that window, watching to make sure no-one does anything to your precious lawn.
    You'll begin to curse fine weather like this, as it will bring the children out in large numbers, with their shoes which seem so small yet seem to leave such large swathes of flattened grass in their wake!!

One day you'll come to the window and see some children out on the street playing football. You'll tense up, catch your breath.
    "Relax," you'll tell yourself, "You're being silly!"

"But am I?" you'll quickly respond with. "They don't seem to care where they kick the ball, and look at how hard they hit it! If it got near the lawn..."
    But you'll tell yourself to relax again, and decide to move away from the window, after just a minute more...

"THEY'RE USING THE DRIVEWAY AS GOALS!!" you scream in your head!! but no, wait... they're using next door's driveway. Not too bad, but still quite close. They could easily... THE KEEPER STOPS IT WITH HIS FOOT AND IT'S COMING THIS WAY!!... but it stays out on the footpath.
    You try to breath normally. No-one takes a shot for a few minutes.
    Until one of them swings his leg wildly, slices his shot across the face of the goal AND THERE IT IS, BOUNCING ON YOUR LAWN, HAMMERING DOWN THAT BEAUTIFUL GRASS YOU SPENT SO LONG ON!! AND NOW IT'S ROLLING LIKE A LITTLE STEAMROLLER OVER IT! AND THE KEEPER IS RUNNING IN AFTER IT WITH HIS HUGE, BRUTISH FEET, DOESN'T HE SEE? IT'S ALL JUST TOO MUCH TO...

AND YOU SWING THE WINDOW OPEN AND SHAKING YOUR FIST, SCREAM: "GET OFF MY BLOODY LAWN!!"

And now you're lost.

**** I am getting old

* Quickly glances out the window

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

It's a patch of ****ing grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

RichieC wrote: »
    It's a patch of ****ing grass.

I'm sorry its not just a patch of grass thats what inherently wrong with people, gardening does some things it cause's things like bumble bees ( which are in decline ) as del as other insects and animals to wonder in and provide a habitat, garden are great you can make the smallest plot of land into a place thats relaxing and peaceful :)

If you own a house and have a big green patch in the from and out the back you should hang your head in shame because theres tons of nice things you can do to a garden with some work and then one summer you can sit back satisfied with there 2 years of hard landscaping you've done..

Gardening requires work lots f it but the rewards are awesome :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Lawn and Me V Kids,Dog and 10ft Trampoline

Never-ending battle:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

I feel your pain.:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

one reason why id never have a dog or id train the dog to **** in the litter tray thats out side its ****ing rotten **** all over the garden ick

Advertisement