Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer Nomination Scheme Advantages / Disadvantages

Options
  • 29-03-2012 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi there,

I have currently been living and working in Australia for the same employer for four and a half years. Have recently started to look into ENS sponsorship and am trying to weigh up the advantages and disadvantages.

What I'd really like is more freedom to move jobs. How long are you tied to you employer after they nominate you? I realise it is quite expensive and time consuming but Is the biggest advantage to gain permanent residence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

First of all debunk the old urban myth..... with ENS you are not tied to an employer like you are with a 457 Work permit, ENS is a migration visa so once you are in your are in. The employer has to offer a bona fide position for a minimum of 3 years (ie. long term rather than short term) the employee is not under any obligation to to stay for those 3 years. Your visa wont be cancelled or anything (RSMS is a different case)

At worst the employer could ask you to repay some of the costs if you signed an agreement to stay for X Months or years.

I was on a ENS myself and left after 18 months, also if you already been living in Australia for over 4 years you only need 12 months on a PR visa and you can become a citizen anyway.

You wont have any need for a visa, or no worries about job freedom (government etc)

As for the expense not really any more expensive than any of the other migration visa, migration is not cheap nor easy but you only need it once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 spanish_sahara

Thanks Mandrake, that sounds pretty exciting. Would be nice have a little more freedom and security with current job at same time. I have an opportunity to go for it now so think i'll go for it.
    The only disadvantage I can see is loosing my LAFHA allowance.

Come 1st of July and for 457 holders it's gone anyway.

Good luck with the ENS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Thanks Mandrake, that sounds pretty exciting. Would be nice have a little more freedom and security with current job at same time. I have an opportunity to go for it now so think i'll go for it.

You'll be losing it in July anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 spanish_sahara

thanks guys! Heard that the other day... all the more reason to get this sorted as soon as possible.. Going to start sorting it out next week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

mandrake04 wrote: »
    At worst the employer could ask you to repay some of the costs if you signed an agreement to stay for X Months or years.

And thats only if they paid your visa costs in the first place. The direct employer costs are pretty low IIRC

Mellor wrote: »
    And thats only if they paid your visa costs in the first place. The direct employer costs are pretty low IIRC

Well it's a case by case basis, Nomination is feck all but the cost of an agent is about $3K -$4K.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭gOst

First of all debunk the old urban myth..... with ENS you are not tied to an employer like you are with a 457 Work permit, ENS is a migration visa so once you are in your are in. The employer has to offer a bona fide position for a minimum of 3 years (ie. long term rather than short term) the employee is not under any obligation to to stay for those 3 years. Your visa wont be cancelled or anything (RSMS is a different case)

I was on a ENS myself and left after 18 months, also if you already been living in Australia for over 4 years you only need 12 months on a PR visa and you can become a citizen anyway.

You wont have any need for a visa, or no worries about job freedom (government etc)

As for the expense not really any more expensive than any of the other migration visa, migration is not cheap nor easy but you only need it once.

So once PR is granted, is there a requirement to reside within Australia for a certain period of time. For Example, if I obtained PR (ENS856), then moved back to Ireland for say 3 years, could I then re-enter Australia using EN856.

Apologies if the above sounds a bit convoluted. Just wondering is there a minimum residency time quota you have to satisfy to keep visa valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

gOst wrote: »
    So once PR is granted, is there a requirement to reside within Australia for a certain period of time. For Example, if I obtained PR (ENS856), then moved back to Ireland for say 3 years, could I then re-enter Australia using EN856.

Apologies if the above sounds a bit convoluted. Just wondering is there a minimum residency time quota you have to satisfy to keep visa valid.

Once the PR visa is activated (for ENS it is that day it is granted) you have a PR visa for 5 years, you can leave and arrive in Australia anytime within these 5 years.

If you are in Australia when your Visa expires you can live and work legally in Aus, forever.

But if you ever want to leave and return again, after your visa has expired, you have to apply for a Returning Resident Visa (155)
    Now if you want a 5 year visa, you must have spent the 2 of the last 5 years in Australia.

have a read here it is fully explained
    http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/residents/155/eligibility.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Playing it fast and loose with the words "a bit" there sunshine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Emigration seems to be picking up ;)

jank wrote: »
    Emigration seems to be picking up ;)

Yeah real Emigration rather than pretend 'Emigration'.

Seems like the 856'ers will be in the majority soon enough.

It has really we could almost set up a sub forum

Migration & Visa's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CatapultPeople

Isn't Perth now regional, so the 857 will be best, no Nomination fee for the employer, but nomination has to be certified by RCB?

Perth is not regional.

There is a post somewhere proving it.

Look up the immigration website

Advertisement