Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM did not dispense cash

Options
  • 29-03-2012 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

I went to an atm on Monday and Tuesday to withdraw some cash and no cash was dispensed - No message came up in the machine to withdraw cash - I rang the bank today as my account was debited.

They said they'll look into it.

Did something like this happen to anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Adrian4 wrote: »
    I went to an atm on Monday and Tuesday to withdraw some cash and no cash was dispensed - No message came up in the machine to withdraw cash - I rang the bank today as my account was debited.

They said they'll look into it.

Did something like this happen to anyone?

Yeah happened to a mate of mine in Spain. Except it was for a few hundred euro.

Good news is he got it back in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Moved from After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Adrian4

No message to withdraw money came up on the machine.

I feel feel stupid that I returned to the same ATM the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If it doesn't automatically correct itself in 48 hours, contact your branch and they can query it. There is a well established procedure for this situation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I remember hearing someone describe a situation like this on the radio and he was getting nowhere with his bank. I'm sure it's possible though to go through the ATM records and eventually find that there was no cash dispensed but it's also possible you may get some runaround from your bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Happened to me a few years back,went to ATM tried to withdraw 300E,door opened no money.
    Was suspicious started to look around to see if anyone was watching me as part of a scam,saw no one,so i thought to myself(stupidly in hindsight) maybe i should withdraw more money and it will push the other money out,so guess what? i tried to withdraw another 300E,door opened and nothing,600E gone.
    Anyway,i rang the bank and informed them of what happened,they told me they would send out a form to claim the money back,and that it should be fine as the ATM at the end of each day totals the amount of money requested versus what was given out and sends a report.
    Got the form,filled it out,had to wait several weeks to get the money though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

This type of thing can happen for hundreds of reasons.

But there is a log of everything that happens on each ATM that they can review to see what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Adrian4

Thanks for you help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I used to work years ago sorting this out. basically the atm will log the money has not been taken and it will get flagged to be looked at. They will see it was your card that requested the money not taken and refund it. If you are not a customer of the bank whose atm it was you will need to give it a few extra days.

I would contact your bank immediately and they will follow up for you to get it sorted.

Advertisement