Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone Have An STI Test?

• 29-03-2012 2:09am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭_Gawd_

The worst part for me is this swab malarkey. If your willy was small enough you'd know all about it...I think this will be the first time when I'd prefer a man looking around the ballroom.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I thought men didn't get swabbed,just a blood and urine sample,no?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

Swab? Mine was blood + urine samples plus a check for lumps to be safe. Whats the story with a swab?

Got all clear :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭_Gawd_

gamgsam wrote: »
    Swab? Mine was blood + urine samples plus a check for lumps to be safe. Whats the story with a swab?

Got all clear :cool:

Good to hear - I was under the impression that their was a swab involved as I seen it described on telly and seen it on YT. Are you sure they checked for everything with you? I'm almost certain a swab is required for a full screening...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

Swab was a few years ago, just blood and urine now, and they'll take a grope of your sack if ye let on ye don't know how to check it.

Never had the swab, i've heard the horror stories from the brother and a few lads, doesn't sound pleasent/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Just looked it up and the new urine test can detect chlamydia, so no need for a swab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

Maybe the swab is done if you go to a drop in? If you make an appointment you're told not to piss for so long before going in, the urine flushes out the urethra and maybe the swab is needed if they don't know how long its been since you pissed?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

_Gawd_ wrote: »
    Are you sure they checked for everything with you? I'm almost certain a swab is required for a full screening...

Yeah the doctor explained that she was checking for everything they could possibly check for. Visual inspection, 2 samples and 2 weeks later I had results. She went through the list as bacterial, viral, parasitic etc. That includes HIV, HPV, Hepatitis abc, chlamydia and all the rest you hear of - the full monty

Apparently herpes can't be checked for if you're asymptomatic. Even with symptoms it sometimes doesn't give positive result.

I'd no symptoms anyway, just making sure. Good luck with the test :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Swab test is the most effective method to detect chlamydia.

It's somewhat less pleasant than you'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Neonjack

Jaysus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Anyone ever have a renal stent?

Swab tests are a walk in the park....

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »

I heard STI tests were free for homosexuals in some place in city centre...

I've been imitating Boy George all night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 markus pride

My balls are swolen. Oh well at least now they can both fit into my moth's mouth at the same time :p

_Gawd_ wrote: »
    I heard STI tests were free for homosexuals in some place in city centre...

I've been imitating Boy George all night.
    They're free for everyone in St James, but I think there's a waiting list. Your friends are making fun of you.

They're free for everyone in St James, but I think there's a waiting list. Your friends are making fun of you.

Thanks very much, you've now added another two weeks waiting time onto it since posting this on AH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I did once, turns out it was just a normal Imprezza

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I've had the swab test done twice, the last time was a few years ago and it was not pleasant I can tell you. It was like having one of those plastic stirrers you used to get for coffee jabbed down your penis. Not fun. But I think everyone should have STI tests done on a regular basis if they are sexually active particularly if they are starting a new relationship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I got one a few months ago, including a swab being jammed up my japseye. Went to the Gay ments heath service clinic on baggot street cause its free, I'm straight but James' only run their clinic on Monday and Wednesday and I had to work.

tuxy wrote: »

Has one of them a few years ago when rushed to hospital with abdominal pains, was not far off going into shock according the the doctor who called the ambulance. Got a lash of morphine for the pain before they decided to go with the renal stent yoke. I had a swab done years ago and fainted when they did it :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Go to the clinic, all STI tests are free unless you go to your doctor. You'll have your results within 2 weeks. The swab is unfortunate but worth it in the long run. Just take a deep breath and close your eyes, it's not as bad as it seems once you don't look down.

so the swabs are necessary?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm shocked at the amount of people who have NEVER had a test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

I don't think they do a swab test on guys (they do for girls) but seriously... grow up! So what it is uncomfortable? The more you think about it the worse it'll be when you get there. Everyone should be tested after every sexual partner, even if they used protection or even if they feel "fine".

Fact of life. I can guarantee that having a swap up your willy will be less uncomfortable then most STD/STIs. Or the phone calls you have to make if you passed it on to someone if you didn't get tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Swab was a few years ago, just blood and urine now, and they'll take a grope of your sack if ye let on ye don't know how to check it.

Never had the swab, i've heard the horror stories from the brother and a few lads, doesn't sound pleasent/

Wrong, I got tested 3 weeks ago, swab is still in. And it's not actually quite as bad as people make it out. Got my all clear on Monday! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Yes I have, ehhh a few times.

The worse was going out for a smoke in James, the STI clinic is in a chalet just a little away from the A and E, so you are out there hoping no-one you know notices you smoking outside the pox clinic especially the wife.

But advice,, if the nurse asks "this is a teaching hospital do you mind if I allow people to observe" just say no. I said yes thinking it would be one or two. But there was about 10 of them. It occurred to me when I left, what if my niece was in that class, she was doing her training somewhere back on that occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I get tested for everything every 6 to 12 months.
    Swabs are nothing really, no pain at all and results within the hour for sti's.
    Its waiting for your blood works to come back thats the bitch!
    But sure just use condoms and your grand but always wise to get tested often just in case, str8/bi/gay does not matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

pandaboy wrote: »
    Go to the clinic, all STI tests are free unless you go to your doctor. You'll have your results within 2 weeks. The swab is unfortunate but worth it in the long run. Just take a deep breath and close your eyes, it's not as bad as it seems once you don't look down.

Last time I had the swab done it hurt to piss for 2-3 days. Must have just been inexperienced doc or something as couldn't recall it being like that any other time it was done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

My doctor ( female ) bent down and sniffed the purple.
    Is this normal ?

I was going to wiggle it hoping to slap her in the face but decided this would probably not go down so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

yep had 2 tests done, went to thailand came back and had this white gawey **** coming out so rang the gum clinic and they were able to see me next day, they did there swab test and it was gonorrhea so they gave me antibiotics and they took blood, it cleared up within 2 days,

Had to go back again the following week for another swab to see if the infection was gone, then had to go back 3 months after to do the bloods again,

What a fecking nightmare at the time, twas great fun in siam at the time but never worth it, better off sticking to just the 1 bird when over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Yes I have, ever year! 100% clean :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Everyone should get it done. I've been in some bars where they do free blood tests. Unorthodox, but I like it.

marty1985 wrote: »
    Everyone should get it done. I've been in some bars where they do free blood tests. Unorthodox, but I like it.

Which bars are these?

They sound like great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Had it done a couple times, my first time I got it was in James's hospital, I was just sitting in the waiting room I was pretty nervous after some of the stories I heard then 2 prison guards one handcuffed to some little scumbag walked in, that just gave me the creeps, I no he was probably sharing a needle but I kept thinking he got bummed in prison, anyway got the all clear thank god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Yes. All clear. The swab thing is on the tip of your penis, not an issue. Maybe the person doing it was inexperienced?

It's good to get checked regularly.

I thought they seemed needlessly rough with that in my case. Perhaps people might share places they got it done without possibly undue distress involved.
    I won't mention where I went because I'm criticising them, but it was not any of the places mentioned on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

efb wrote: »
    Yes. All clear. The swab thing is on the tip of your penis, not an issue. Maybe the person doing it was inexperienced?

It's good to get checked regularly.

No, the swab is supposed to go into the urethra. Just just inside the tip not on the tip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

The needle in the jap's eye was always a turn off. If they don't do that anymore, I may consider one.

Dean820 wrote: »
    The needle in the jap's eye was always a turn off. If they don't do that anymore, I may consider one.

Seriously? You would put your life at risk and others because you are scared that something might help your willy? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I did once, turns out it was just a normal Imprezza

as in awd turbo or the the 1.8 wouldn't pull your teath out...

i like the sti type rs my self cheep money these days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

ihsb wrote: »
    Seriously? You would put your life at risk and others because you are scared that something might help your willy? :confused:

I always wear a condom. I wouldn't want to put anyone's life at risk. Don't judge me because I don't want a needle in my japs eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

I had the swab done a few years ago,and while i didnt look at it being done it did and still does scare the shit out of me,i went to the doctor a couple of weeks ago for another test and thankfully he said they only need blood and urine samples now.

But the only std i ever had was genital warts,and im telling you it aint nice how they remove them!

• Advertisement

Dean820 wrote: »
    I always wear a condom. I wouldn't want to put anyone's life at risk. Don't judge me because I don't want a needle in my japs eye.

Even with condoms things can make it through in other sexual activities. No judgement, just disbelief.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

My balls are swolen. Oh well at least now they can both fit into my moth's mouth at the same time :p

So they're still incredibly tiny?

Unless you have some kind of giant mutant pet moth.

Also, obligatory mothballs joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Welcome back Sindri!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

yep got one done a few years ago at St James, 100% clean :D, always good to keep yourself checked out.
    will be heading again in the next month, always better to be safe in that area tbf :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Yes... Umbrella down the japs :(

The swab isn't that bad, it a tiny sting I mean less then a needle in the arm.

The way people are talking about it here you would swear they are chopping the top of your knob off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

nope :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Where the hell did they put it? Up the japseye? **** sake!

Andy!! wrote: »
    Where the hell did they put it? Up the japseye? **** sake!

Just inside the eye, it really is not that bad, absolutely nothing to put me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

I only had to pay for postage in my local GPs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement