Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work calling my personal mobile

Options
  • 29-03-2012 5:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

This is a pet hate of mine, I was away yesterday and one of the girls in work passed out my mobile number to someone in work, I did not take the call as I hate people from work ringing me on my mobile that I pay for

I had the same issue a few years ago and it was mentioned by the boss that I don't answer my phone I said its my phone

Am I obliged to answer work related calls on my personal mobile I was thinking about changing my number and not giving it to them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

jacknife wrote: »
    This is a pet hate of mine, I was away yesterday and one of the girls in work passed out my mobile number to someone in work, I did not take the call as I hate people from work ringing me on my mobile that I pay for

I had the same issue a few years ago and it was mentioned by the boss that I don't answer my phone I said its my phone

Am I obliged to answer work related calls on my personal mobile I was thinking about changing my number and not giving it to them

I don't think there's a law making it illegal not to answer your phone, if they don't supply it or pay bills you can do as you please with it. But eventually you will run into the same issue even if you change numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Unless they pay you to work on call, I wouldn't answer if I knew that they wanted help with something (and it sounds like they were taking the piss).

Change numbers, get a cheap phone, put the current sim in the cheap phone, and leave it on silent, always on, in a drawer at your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

the_syco wrote: »
    Change numbers, get a cheap phone, put the current sim in the cheap phone, and leave it on silent, always on, in a drawer at your house.

Or you could have a conversation with your manager about what their expectations are around out-of-hours availability, and how they can compensate your for this.

I guess it depends what your ambitions with the company are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

JustMary wrote: »
    Or you could have a conversation with your manager about what their expectations are around out-of-hours availability, and how they can compensate your for this.

Exactly the route to follow. Why should you have to change a number you've most likely had for years and inconvenience all your non work contacts/friends/family etc into having to update a new number? However, if it was an isolated once or twice off incident, I'd let it lie and not run to management about it but if it is a frequent occurrence, then I think it would be appropriate to consult management about expectations. It's about choosing your battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Meah, its costs me nothing to answer the phone and answer a question. If i missed a call and seen a missed call then i wouldnt bother ringing back.

But 30 seconds of my time isnt really worth getting worked up about, i guess its a first world problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,588 ✭✭✭✭kippy

listermint wrote: »
    Meah, its costs me nothing to answer the phone and answer a question. If i missed a call and seen a missed call then i wouldnt bother ringing back.

But 30 seconds of my time isnt really worth getting worked up about, i guess its a first world problem.
    First world problems, I am beginning to hate that term, really.

I would approach the situation in the way that JustMary advised. It's a good idea to have a formal agreement in place about things such as this (without being too "strict")
    A lot of the time its also very dependent on your job role and how often you are getting these calls.
    Generally, if I know a call is coming through from work and I am not on the clock so to speak, I will answer and advise that I am in the middle of something and cannot help.
    I used be a lot more "helping", then I got screwed over, so I am a lot less likely to do anything outside of my working day.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

JustMary wrote: »

Pretty much this.

I guess it depends on how often you get work-related calls outside office hours. There's no reason to be a jobsworth and get annoyed about the odd 30 second phonecall just cos you're off the clock, but at the same time getting regular calls or being asked to do work while you're off isn't acceptable.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Hate this attitude.

Work in a company where were in contact with people in the UK and Australia.
    ONe guy in Aus was reporting issues to Uk to be fixed and yet would not answer emails from them requesting more details.

Would take 5-10 mins tops to do it.
    As a result he has amounted huge bad will against him and everyone in the office wants him gone. He was asked by the manager to please help out as we are a global company and his actions are against what everyone else is doing.

He refused so as a result they changed his hours from being 9-6 to 12-9.
    He said no to the change and was fired for gross misconduct a few weeks later.

People need to learn that a job isnt just 9-6 and your part of a team.
    So if you dont care about your team you will be out on your ass pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,588 ✭✭✭✭kippy

castie wrote: »
    Hate this attitude.

ONe guy in Aus was reporting issues to Uk to be fixed and yet would not answer emails from them requesting more details.

As a result he has amounted huge bad will against him and everyone in the office wants him gone. He was asked by the manager to please help out as we are a global company and his actions are against what everyone else is doing.

These guy seemed to have a bad attitude as well as not taking calls outside of work.
    Not answering a call when outside of working hours is "not caring about your team" (although a lot of the companies would really like you to think of it as this)
    I suppose it boils down to a few things. Would said company allow you a couple of hours off in the day for a dentists appointment or emergency, or generally be relatively flexible with you? If so than I could be relatively flexible with them. If they want you to use your "home" time to help them, they should at least repay the favour by letting you use some "work" time to help you out from time to time.

As I said before, I've usually had a very good attitude towards answering calls when off/in the evening as the companies I worked for were generally flexible with me also, however that changed recently so that "unwritten" deal, in my head, is off, to such an extent that the company have offered me a tad bit of hard cash extra to be "on call" so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

As a contractor, I love getting calls. Every 5-10mins gets billed. Rounding up naturally. ;)

If I was/When I was full time... Just talk to your manager and tell them you are happy to help outside of hours, but how should you correctly account for the "time-in-lue"? And can the company perhaps cover the rental cost of the phone (you'd pay for any personal call/texts made).

To be honest it's win-win. I'd embrace it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

castie wrote: »
    Hate this attitude.

That sounds like someone who was let go because he wasn't doing his job.

If your boss expects you in at nine sharp, no exceptions, then it's perfectly reasonable to leave at five sharp, no exceptions. If you work in a job with a high level of flexibility and a company Blackberry, then calling you is fair enough, but if you're in a standard office job it's inappropriate to expect you to drop everything to help out when you're not working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Hmmmm....I've a company Blackberry and am more or less expected to be available 247, regardless of what it is I'm doing or where I'm doing it.

It didn't take long at all to 'educate' people that calling me when I'm off is perfectly fine if there is some form of urgency and not to call for trivial stuff that can wait.

Also very important you tell people immediately when they call you late at night and you're off your head :D

but if you're in a standard office job it's inappropriate to expect you to drop everything to help out when you're not working.

I don't agree with this at all, if your employer is ringing you because they need help and deem it important enough to ring you when they know you're off you'd be silly not to answer the phone cause you can't be bothered regardless of what job you're in.

If it turns out it's something that might take longer then a few minutes to sort you can always say look I'm busy. But if one of my team took that attitude it would not work in their favour and would definitely be remembered come bonus /review time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

wexie wrote: »
    I don't agree with this at all, if your employer is ringing you because they need help and deem it important enough to ring you when they know you're off you'd be silly not to answer the phone cause you can't be bothered regardless of what job you're in.
    Tbh, it depends. Sometimes it can be a matter that the people ringing you simply have no regard for "non work" time and think it's fair game to call you any time of the day to ask you work-related questions which they could either figure out themselves or which could wait until the next day.

At the moment I'm covering for my boss on maternity leave so I am expected to be available 24/7, but during normal times I've never gotten a phone call without a serious amount of apologies and only when something needs to be done now and I'm the only person who knows it. I don't really mind, but most people seem to have the common sense to know that when you're out of work, you're off the clock and it's not OK to ask someone to do work-related stuff unless it's urgent.

Most people (try to) work to live, not live to work, so while one would expect a little bit of flexibility in answering your phone, an employer who expects you to answer the phone without clearing it with you first is taking the piss. A job is just 9-6. The reason you have a team is so that someone else can do your work when you're not around :)

but if you're in a standard office job it's inappropriate to expect you to drop everything to help out when you're not working.

If it turns out it's something that might take longer then a few minutes to sort you can always say look I'm busy. But if one of my team took that attitude it would not work in their favour and would definitely be remembered come bonus /review time.

Which is more or less exactly why I'm glad I'm in a union. There's something insidious and unpleasant about a situation where every worker is doing something above and beyond what should be expected purely because management can use a refusal against them. None of them want to do it, and nobody gets any competitive advantage from it, but everybody ends up doing it and management effectively get unpaid overtime out of people. It's unpleasant and exploitative, and I'm glad it's not a situation I'm in.

Which is more or less exactly why I'm glad I'm in a union. There's something insidious and unpleasant about a situation where every worker is doing something above and beyond what should be expected purely because management can use a refusal against them. None of them want to do it, and nobody gets any competitive advantage from it, but everybody ends up doing it and management effectively get unpaid overtime out of people. It's unpleasant and exploitative, and I'm glad it's not a situation I'm in.

You might also argue that actually showing the flexibility might work in favour of you at the end of the year....

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Bulmers on Ice

I used to get calls on my personal mobile from members of staff when i was out of the office on holidays etc. I didn't mind at the start because I would get asked questions that I had the answers for at the tip of my finger where as the other staff would have been half the day looking in the office for the answer.
    The rot set in and then when staff gave customers my mobile number because it was easier for them to let the customer deal with me direct rather than trying to help them. They abused it basically. I said it to management and they laughed and said ha we are always getting calls day or night and I was not to annoy customers.
    It stopped when I got a call on a Christmas day from a customer, that was enough. From then I will only answer calls from my friends and family and everything else waits until I am in the office. They have got the hint now.

when staff gave customers my mobile number

:mad: Had that happen once a long time ago, I made it very clear that that was a big NO-NO and I'm sure that person remembers it to this day.

Unfortunately now I work in a customer facing role and all of them already have my mobile :(.

Have to say though, my customers seem to be much better about calling out of hours then work (mostly).

You might also argue that actually showing the flexibility might work in favour of you at the end of the year....

Except it probably won't, because all the other staff have to do the same to be in with a shout for those promotions. What you're saying is basically that you're expected to do extra work with no guarantee of any extra reward. I can't think of a single moral justification for making promotions and raises contingent upon work you're not paid to perform: all it does is mean that everyone in the office is bumped into doing more than they're contracted for in return for being in exactly the same situation as they would if nobody did it.

Except it probably won't, because all the other staff have to do the same to be in with a shout for those promotions. What you're saying is basically that you're expected to do extra work with no guarantee of any extra reward. I can't think of a single moral justification for making promotions and raises contingent upon work you're not paid to perform: all it does is mean that everyone in the office is bumped into doing more than they're contracted for in return for being in exactly the same situation as they would if nobody did it.

Haha, I never said that it's morally justified (nor do I think so) but unfortunately that's the way things work in most business. So your options are to either give in and deal with it, or not give in and be dealt with as there will always be someone more accommodating.

I was talking to a Scandinavian colleague who was telling me he worked over 100 hours overtime for the year (very very strict legislation there) and how outrageous it was. When I told him I've had months where I worked over 100 hours overtime he nearly choked on his beer :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

For me it depends on frequency and environment. If its once every now and again (i.e every 3 - 4 months) it's not a big deal. if it's constantly happening it's a problem unless they compensate you for it.

And as others have said it also depends on how they threat you. If they have no problem with you taking an hour to go to the doctor every now and again you should also be flexible for the odd call.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The old union line, Its such a class act that it has various companies and entire sectors here in dire straits. Flexibility is required to get ahead. The sooner people realise that the better.
    I havent worked anywhere were this got out of hand, If it does then its not the type of job for you. Someone else would enjoy that sort of action.

As i said before answering the odd call isnt something to go searching through your contract for or getting all militant. Work to rule is disgusting and just makes people look ridiculous come promotion. People get promotions by going above the rest of the crowd, it doesnt need aptitude so see that.

The way unions want it is that we all work the same and the person that is there the longest gets the gig. Pffft why bother

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

staff gave customers my mobile number because it was easier for them to let the customer deal with me direct

I think that giving out your number from your personnel file like this is actually a breach of the Data Protection act. Can anyone confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I will absolutely defend anyone's right to be a member of a union.

In the industry that I work in, joining a union is an option that many people chose to take, but it is also career death if you want to keep your destiny in your own hands and make fast progression through the ranks. Having someone else negotiating working conditions and salary holds back high performers, preventing any positive differentiation from the majority.

International companies have experience of working in many different "industrial relations" environments and one of the key selling points of Ireland is that unions are dying off here and as a result it is easier to do business here, it is one of the reasons why they would pick Ireland over France or Italy for example for FDI.

But on the topic of being available after hours, like many things in life, it is about balance. Taking a call to support your team mates to achieve a goal is laudable behavior, being on beck and call for trivia issues is being a victim.

It is clear from my experience, that it is not the person putting in the longest hours, working from home or taking the most calls that gets on in life and work, it is in fact the person that takes control, works consistently on the important tasks and delivers tangible results to their boss, while lightening their bosses load as they go.

One feature of most of the successful people that I have known is that they understand their boss and the company, usually achieving this by having excellent communications skills. They rarely get taken advantage of, because their boss understands them in return and knows their priorities and boundaries in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

listermint wrote: »
    The old union line, Its such a class act that it has various companies and entire sectors here in dire straits. Flexibility is required to get ahead. The sooner people realise that the better.
    I havent worked anywhere were this got out of hand, If it does then its not the type of job for you. Someone else would enjoy that sort of action.

As i said before answering the odd call isnt something to go searching through your contract for or getting all militant. Work to rule is disgusting and just makes people look ridiculous come promotion. People get promotions by going above the rest of the crowd, it doesnt need aptitude so see that.

The way unions want it is that we all work the same and the person that is there the longest gets the gig. Pffft why bother

I have no issue with taking calls from work if there's a genuine reason and my assistance is required. It makes no sense for a colleague to spend 10 / 15 minutes or longer trying to work out something out when I could answer their query in seconds. I'm pretty customer-focused and if being able to hold of me helps the customer then good - I'm happy to answer the phone.

This work to rule stuff is a load of sh*te. Flexibility works both ways.

Curiously I'm an area representative for my trade union - about 300 members report to me. Sorry if that doesn't match the stereotype of unhelpful militant shop steward. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭danois

I think it would depend on freuency of calls the odd call is ok. I work 2 days a week at the minute and i will getat least 1 call a day on days off. Some calls I don't mind others drive me mad, for example got call today asking had i emailed the add to the paper. The reason that annoyed me was all my boss had to do was take a second and look in sent items.

I asked him to stop so many times but he will just go a few days then ring again. drives me mad. I just answer now get off phone fast cause he just keeps up till i answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

OP, if you have a smart phone there's quite a few 'Blocked Caller' apps that you can install, then any number that you don't want to speak to gets sent straight to voicemail.

I have most of my work numbers on this, if it's important they will leave a message and i'll call back. If they say anything i just blame a bad signal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

scudzilla wrote: »
    OP, if you have a smart phone there's quite a few 'Blocked Caller' apps that you can install, then any number that you don't want to speak to gets sent straight to voicemail.

I have most of my work numbers on this, if it's important they will leave a message and i'll call back. If they say anything i just blame a bad signal ;)
    This. I have the feature natively on my HTC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

i was in a job where we used to get called at all hours. but we were paid to be on call and so didnt mind. then as part of a cutback plan, all on-call work was not paid for anymore. the company kept calling us anyway, even when we pointed out we were not on call anymore. the would question why we werent answering our phones at 3 in the morning.

so they take away your pay for a job and expecte you continue doing that job for free.. i dont think so.

one of team couldnt stand up for himself and ended up taking all the calls. then constantly spending his days giving out that he was the only one doing anything. the stress got the better of him in the end.

where i am now they started calling out of hours too.. i didnt mind taking the odd call. when it became "expected", and they give out to me for not answering MY phone, then they get blacklisted.
    my phone diverts all blocked numbers and unknown numbers to voicemail now and i listen to the voicemails whenever i feel like it.. if they are work related i will answer them in the morning at work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Time is money. If you value your time as free, you'll find it hard to persuade others that worth more. They won't mind wasting your time either, because its not costing them anything.

Advertisement