Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rollerblading?

Options
  • 29-03-2012 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Anyone know if there is anywhere in Galway that gives lessons in rollerblading for complete beginners? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DaDartle

I'm nowhere near Galway but a few tips.

Find a flat, smoothly paved area.

Try to keep your ankles straight/perpendicular to the ground. Alot of beginners to ice skating and rollerblading let their ankles bow in towards the ice/street. Try not to do that.

Keep your knees slightly bent and keep your weight slightly forward, like you're running or any other athletic activity.

From a standing position, your feet shoulder width apart push off with one leg out to the side, extending your leg all the way pushing with the inside of the foot your pushing off with. The other skate points forward in the direction you're travelling in. Bring the pushing off leg back underneath your shoulders and then push off with the other leg.

In northern countries, kids at two years old skate on ponds and lakes pushing chairs around using them for balance. If you're able to find a hockey stick or something like that, you can use that to balance holding it out in front of you.

Most importantly, just get out there and practice. You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭primrose_lily

I dont know of any but i found that just getting out there is the best way to learn the basics.
    I would like to learn some more advanced moves so if anyone knows of somewhere or somone that can teach that would be fantastic. :)

just wondering would anyone be interested in a rollerblading meet up on the prom some evening??

All levels from complete beginners to advanced welcome as it just a bit a fun and a good way to meet new people :)

Could be good craic!

Any takers??

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭synacron trion

Players from NUIG Inline Hockey Club sometimes go skating on the prom. They have a Facebook group http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=105641329238

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭synacron trion

I don't know of any roller skating clubs in Galway but there are two inline hockey clubs. They take in beginners and teach them how to skate if they don't know how to. They'd be more focused on developing the inline hockey player in you but you'd still learn to skate :D.

NUIG Inline Hockey Club: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=105641329238
    Galway Bay Lightning Inline Hockey Club: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=17170674511

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

When I first got rollerblades back in the early 90s, I went to the top of threadneedle road on a sunday morning and just went. :D
    To this day I don't know how I did not fall.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Where to get a pair and I'll go. I found some online going for €200

theres a place in town (dont know the name) its near the Augustinian they may have some. They had some retro skates in the window before!

If im honest ive never spent more than 50 on a pair just cos i couldnt afford the really expensive ones. Mine are from Smyths! but i have to say the wheels are pretty decent, good traction and they glide really well. Doesnt feel like an effort to move haha!

Im hoping one day to maybe upgrade! :)

Let me know if you get them as im dyin to get on the prom but it would be nice to get a few together for the craic! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭piscesgirl1

That would definately be good craic. Let me know if there is a met up!!!!!!

well im up for it, i work wed - sat so it would have to be in the evenings or anytime Sun-Tues :)

If ItsThatManAgain gets rollerblades we are at 3 so far! :)

I just moved to Salthill a few weeks ago and i swore that i would take advantage of the prom being on my door step! :)

PM me if you wanna head out anytime :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'd be up for it if I can get my hands on a pair. Does anywhere in Galway do adult sizes?

Bhéinn sásta páirt a ghlacadh dá mbéinn ábalta péire a cheannacht. An bhfuil aon áit i nGailleamh a dhíolann cinn le haghaidh daoine fásta?

Well i got mine in smyths and as far as i can remember they did but youd need to double check, otherwise there is that place on Middle Street near Sweetie Pies. I think its still there, they do skates and all that sorta stuff. you could try online as well. :)

let me know how you get on cos im dyin to get out skating again. Always more fun with a few people! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Well I could get a pair on Ebay, but I lay no trust in that site.

I didnt think ebay was that bad but i guess for sizing it is. especially with skates your size can vary so probably best to try on because if they pinch at all then you wont be comfortable

What ever you decide let me know. I might head out monday or tues myself anyway, all this talk of skating is motivating me so much :)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

I could be up for this. I have quad skates, the roller derby kind. No luck contacting the local team so far though.

theres a roller derby team?? You serious!?

If you wanna head out some day let me know im itchin to get skating again :)

They're called the Wicked Wheels of the West, there's a Facebook page. I have tried several avenues of contact without any luck though:(

I definitely will! I am just starting a new job this week so getting into the rhythm, but I hope to get out there soon:)

im hopin to get out sunday afternoon weather permitting :) if your around let me know, i might have 'Galway K9' on board too, just waiting for a reply.

Should be fun :)

Good luck with the new job :)

Origin might sell skates or will be able to point people in the right direction for sure. I got mine off www.skatehut.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Just wondering if you guys ended up having the meet up? It would certainly be cool to organise one some weekend or even during the week. I live in salthill and often see lots of solo-bladers on the prom, so there are plenty around.

I'm away for a few days but when I get back maybe I'll try and organise something.

• Advertisement

Havent met up yet. Theres been a couple of people interested but nothing officially decided on.

Im itchin to get out with people and skate.

When are you back. let me know if your heading out soon. I live in Salthill too so its handy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Monmeg

What are the skill levels of those going out? I'm dying to skate but just one problem - I've never done it before! Would anyone be interested in teaching me? I have tried to contact the roller derby group as well for the past few weeks but no answer either.

The idea of it is that you dont need to be skilled at all, if your a complete beginner who cares cos its more about having some fun rather than showing off your skills!

Itll be really good fun and a good excuse to get a bit of exercise while
    having a laugh.

Youll pick it up really fast by just getting out there and going for it. Dont be worried about getting started youll have the best time ever i promise!!

We really need to set out a day and time though if people are really serious about heading out!! Let me know guys! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I'd be up for this, I suppose sometime at the weekend would suit the majority? Sunday afternoon sounds good to me too, weather permitting of course.

I'll bring a pair of knee & elbow pads along in case any of the new skaters want them. I'll see if I can drag some other people along too.

Great! :) Sunday it is so??

Whos definitley in? i am :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Monmeg

I'm not back in Galway til next week so can't make Sunday but will keep an eye on board for the next meet up. Thanks for the encouragement guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Note to myself: Dont walk the Prom on Sunday :-o
    Think I'll just get my onion rings from the new place and top up my Oslo loyalty card instead*.

*no connection with either but it looks like The Village might be trying to reinvent itself. Tis turning into a cool foodie spot.

what time guys? I hope to make it :-)

we havent really set a time.

How bout 1pm??? Anyone want it earlier or later? im free all day so any time suits. :)

• Advertisement

Did this go ahead? I wasn't much up for skating in the rain:o

Advertisement