Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiscal Treaty Referendum.....How will you vote?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AVN_1

Definitely - No, too much EU.

If we vote No - we don't lose anything, while if we vote Yes - we will lose a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

AVN_1 wrote: »
    Definitely - No, too much EU.

If we vote No - we don't lose anything,

Apart from ESM access, obviously.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »

cordially,
    Scofflaw

1) We will not lose it

2) We don't need it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

cordially,
    Scofflaw

And better structures to stop this mess happening again, but who's counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Parkwaydrive

Doesn't anyone realise that Iceland are one of few countries who have stood up and not accepted any help?

They are now one of the few countries to be seen to have made a slight improvement.

Apart from that, there is no politics in this. It's mindless nonsense to vote anything other than no.

The government are trying to relieve themselves of all their bad decisions and mistakes and hand power over to Europe (Germany) and I for one am certainly not one for letting criminals away with stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

1) We will not lose it
    The referendum commission disagree with you on that point.

dvpower wrote: »
    The referendum commission disagree with you on that point.

That doesn't mean they are correct :)

1) We will not lose it

Unfortunately, it's the case - yes, the Preamble is legally binding, and yes, giving us ESM money will be illegal if we don't ratify the Fiscal Treaty.
    2) We don't need it

I can't fault your optimism.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

That doesn't mean they are correct :)
    Who should I trust? The independent referendum commissioner or the new boards.ie member who provides no reasoning for their assertion?

Difficult choice.

Unfortunately, it's the case - yes, the Preamble is legally binding, and yes, giving us ESM money will be illegal if we don't ratify the Fiscal Treaty.

Germans have too much to lose

• Advertisement

I can't fault your optimism.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

If we default on the bank debt, exit the Euro Zone, re-introduce Punt, and slightly devalue it, we would't need it.

Who should I trust? The independent referendum commissioner or the new boards.ie member who provides no reasoning for their assertion?

Difficult choice.

read my posts above

read my posts above
    I did. But I was shaking my head at the time so I might have missed some bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Say I'm following your 'Germans' line which in fact I believe is brainwashed, ignorant, tinfoil hat 'I believe what I want to believe' stuff, but say for arguments sake I do.

Isn't what you're saying the equivalent of 'you need me, I gonna shoot myself in the head now, see how you fare then!' ?

I did. But I was shaking my head at the time so I might have missed some bits.

So, read it again

If we default on the bank debt, exit the Euro Zone, re-introduce Punt, and slightly devalue it, we would't need it.

And that would give us less 'austerity' then a fiscal treaty? How confident are you in that?

So, read it again
    I did. Unfortunately reverting to the Punt (and slightly devaluing:confused:) has virtually no support in the country.

I think you have a way to go selling that policy.

Ah, no - that's not an argument that we'll have access to the ESM, it's an argument that the Germans will cough up some kind of bailout for us. And that, I think, is indeed probable - the question will be on what terms?

But ESM has a legal stipulation that says no access without the Fiscal Treaty. The German government might like to ignore that, but it will simply be taken to court and lose.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Boskowski wrote: »
    And that would give us less 'austerity' then a fiscal treaty? How confident are you in that?

Certainly less, as we would significantly slash our public debt (and therefore debt service), stimulate export, public spending and property markets. Our revenue would go up while expenditure would go down.

I did. Unfortunately reverting to the Punt (and slightly devaluing:confused:) has virtually no support in the country.

I would say about 15% already support this (or very similar) view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Isn't what you're saying the equivalent of 'you need me, I gonna shoot myself in the head now, see how you fare then!' ?

Indeed. As I've seen this argument suggested by the no side... though never as succinctly as this... I'm reminded of the scene in "Blazing Saddles" where the black sherrif holds the racist townsfolk at bay by holding a gun to his own head. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_JOGmXpe5I

It really is the core of the no argument.

Ix

Ah, no - that's not an argument that we'll have access to the ESM, it's an argument that the Germans will cough up some kind of bailout for us. And that, I think, is indeed probable - the question will be on what terms?

We might care about additional bailout (whichever way it comes), but certainly we wouldn't care about ESM itself, if it doesn't bring us additional money.

But ESM has a legal stipulation that says no access without the Fiscal Treaty. The German government might like to ignore that, but it will simply be taken to court and lose.

:) And who will sue the Germans if they are behind the ESM?

:) And who will sue the Germans if they are behind the ESM?

Oh, I'd imagine the good professor Schnachtschneider and friends would be down in Karlsruhe straight off - unless the prospect of actually winning a case put them off, of course.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Certainly less, as we would significantly slash our public debt (and therefore debt service), stimulate export, public spending and property markets. Our revenue would go up while expenditure would go down.

And the working people will be oh so happy that they're now being paid in toy money and most of that will be taken away even since we haven't addressed fundamental issues like PS and welfare expenditure and certainly need a lot of taxes if we can't borrow. And of course everyone - not just the working people - will be oh so happy that petrol now costs £3?

Remember we pretty much import everything people can't live without these days. Cars, TVs, mobile phones, pretty much every consumer good which will have to be bought with your 'slightly' devalued Punt.

I'm not sure you have thought this through.

And the working people will be oh so happy that they're now being paid in toy money and most of that will be taken away even since we haven't addressed fundamental issues like PS and welfare expenditure and certainly need a lot of taxes if we can't borrow. And of course everyone - not just the working people - will be oh so happy that petrol now costs £3?

Remember we pretty much import everything people can't live without these days. Cars, TVs, mobile phones, pretty much every consumer good which will have to be bought with your 'slightly' devalued Punt.

I'm not sure you have thought this through.

Welfare expenditure would decline as people would re-join the work force.
    I'm talking about controlled devaluation, probably within 10-20% range, or so. So petrol will not cost 3 pounds and prices on most of the imported goods will not go up much. At the same time production of some goods might return back to Ireland.

Welfare expenditure would decline as people would re-join the work force.
    I'm talking about controlled devaluation, probably within 10-20% range, or so. So petrol will not cost 3 pounds and prices on most of the imported goods will not go up much. At the same time production of some goods might return back to Ireland.

Re-joining the workforce? Doing what? Building Autobahns?

And you're not controlling that devaluation. Whatever that new currency is 'worth' will be determined by the 'markets'. And they won't look kindly at a country thats just after defaulting on their bank debt and tries to balance the book with newly printed money.

Look, I'm not claiming to be an expert. I guess really my 'not a good idea' carries probably as much scientific weight as your 'good idea'.

What I do believe fairly strongly is that there is no desire for such a shock therapy within our middle class (and they pay for everything after all) and within our political class. Not going to happen. This is western democracy and this is capitalism. The show must go on. Nothing will ever change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Stuck Cone

Im not voting in the hope someone else out there votes no for me, it would help if i was registered to vote too

Re-joining the workforce? Doing what? Building Autobahns?

Everywhere, including TNCs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I would say about 15% already support this (or very similar) view.

I would have no trouble at all believing that at least 15% of this country (although I would probably actually estimate much higher) haven't the faintest idea what they're talking about when it comes to issues like this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement