Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bodyweight parks.

• 29-03-2012 10:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know a good place in Dublin where they have those outdoor parks with parallel bar/monkey bars and pull up bars to do the bodyweight exercises?

Like this? Or anything like it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk9jp9rJ3Ss&feature=relmfu

I am not getting my hopes up but if anyone has spotted something like this give me a shout.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Malahide Castle? Anyone??!

There was a nice running trail around it like 8-10 years ago and it had a load of stations for bodyweight stuff around it. I was actually talking aobut it to someone last week saying I wanted to go back out there.

Anyone know if it's still in good shape?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭cmyk

Cabinteely park has a monkey bar setup very similar, with pullup bars about 50 yards from it, and dip station the same again. Basically they are spread out around the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭GSOIRL

Cabinteely Park and along Glasthule/Sandycove strand.

cmyk wrote: »
    Cabinteely park has a monkey bar setup very similar, with pullup bars about 50 yards from it, and dip station the same again. Basically they are spread out around the park.

Seriously?!? Amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

The Fingal county council still lists an exercise trail. Not sure how well maintained it would be. I used it in 2008 and was fine.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/CommunityRecreationandAmenitiesDepartment/Parks/ParksHeritageProperties/MalahideDemesneRegionalPark/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

Along the seafront in Clontarf has various bodyweight machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Cheers guys. Appreciate the responses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

GSOIRL wrote: »
    Glasthule/Sandycove strand.
    Is this the newish set of stuff here
    http://maps.google.com/maps/myplaces?hl=en&ll=53.287682,-6.120865&spn=0.000635,0.001742&ctz=-60&t=h&z=20

I saw kids using it as a playground during the day, there was crosstrainer thing and a toddler was flying along on it. I was there later another day and the stuff has no real resistance. Its a real shame, the stuff is very robust and obviously must have cost thousands, but I didn't find use for any of it. They do not even have a simple chinup bar or dip station.

Cabinteely is far better. These are the chinup bars.

110418.JPG

Hanley wrote: »
    Seriously?!? Amazing.

Yep, but sadly you don't see too many people using them. I used to stop off last summer on my cycle home for some burpees and monkey bars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

Broadstone park in phibsboro have some In the quite section at the end near constitution hill

There's also chin and dip bars outside the boxing club

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Is this the newish set of stuff here
    http://maps.google.com/maps/myplaces?hl=en&ll=53.287682,-6.120865&spn=0.000635,0.001742&ctz=-60&t=h&z=20

I saw kids using it as a playground during the day, there was crosstrainer thing and a toddler was flying along on it. I was there later another day and the stuff has no real resistance. Its a real shame, the stuff is very robust and obviously must have cost thousands, but I didn't find use for any of it. They do not even have a simple chinup bar or dip station.

Cabinteely is far better. These are the chinup bars.

110418.JPG

OMG WAHOOOOOOO!!!!

Those bars are going to get serious abuse on Saturday. Rings and everything going on them. Savage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Malahide Castle stuff is still in good nick... I use it every now n again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

OMG WAHOOOOOOO!!!!

Those bars are going to get serious abuse on Saturday. Rings and everything going on them. Savage.

If you can manage to bring a random child with you go to the playground in the park too. It's ridiculously good fun. Like Malahide back in the heyday. Or the one that used to be at Powerscourt Gardens. Proper playgrounds. Before parents started suing County Councils for scraped knees and stuff.

Ooh also when you go in the main entrance go over the bridge and there's a perfect incline for doing hill sprints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

OMG WAHOOOOOOO!!!!

Yeah there are two monkey bar/ladder set ups which are better for the rings.
    What time are you heading and we can have a gladiator hang tough :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Was over in Vicenza a while back, most of the public parks have them. It's bizarre going for breakfast in the morning and seeing people using them, probably because I'm so used to seeing junkies asleep in the parks over here.

Shanganagh Park in Shankill also have them spread about.

Blackrock Park have a few "machines" there I noticed yesterday. Cross trainer, bike etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Wollwead

Not sure if this has been mentioned but deer park near The Goat Pub has an excellent set up with monkey bars for pullups, parallell bars for dips etc., and even have lower bars you can do inverted rows on. These are all spread around the park at different locations. The monkey bars are perfectly located at the bottom of a steep hill when one is partial to some hill sprints mixed in!! Not a huge park, but you can get good work done there all the same.

This thread is rapidly turning into a serious resource. Kudos to all.

Here's a photo of the monkey bars in Deer Park, they're taller than they look. I'm 6'1" and I have to jump to be able to reach them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Wollwead wrote: »
    Here's a photo of the monkey bars in Deer Park, they're taller than they look. I'm 6'1" and I have to jump to be able to reach them!

I know you might think this is sad, but I actually emailed the Parks to complain about these bars. I'm 'average' height for a female, and can't reach these bars for the life of me. Tried a running jump etc but no joy!

Maybe they only think monkey bars are for boys :mad::mad::mad:

Also all the signage has gone missing from a lot of the stations, a real pity, as so few places offer these facilities.

P.S Got no response not surprisingly ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Thud

Anything like that in Marley park?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

Have lived in Deer Park my whole life and never knew they were there. For shame.

I could walk across the road and see,but......what else they got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Coincidence haha, I just posted this two days ago :)

Calisthenics is getting a lot more popular worldwide, and rightly so!

Mauricmo wrote: »
    Have lived in Deer Park my whole life and never knew they were there. For shame.

I could walk across the road and see,but......what else they got?

Good set of dip bars up at the tennis court.
    Couple of low bars near the playground/pub end that you could use for rows I suppose.

Deer Park is the handiest for me.
    If I want to treat myself I'd go to Cabinteely.
    It is a bit better and the monkey bars and pull ups bars are less out in the open than Deer Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

Zamboni wrote: »
    Good set of dip bars up at the tennis court.
    Couple of low bars near the playground/pub end that you could use for rows I suppose.

Deer Park is the handiest for me.
    If I want to treat myself I'd go to Cabinteely.
    It is a bit better and the monkey bars and pull ups bars are less out in the open than Deer Park.

This is fantastic news.

Also if it helps anyone there are a couple of things in Blackrock park too. There's a dip station, some kind of stationary bike and other stuff all in the one spot.

Thud wrote: »
    Anything like that in Marley park?

Apprently there was but they're long gone now.

Glowing wrote: »
    I know you might think this is sad, but I actually emailed the Parks to complain about these bars. I'm 'average' height for a female, and can't reach these bars for the life of me. Tried a running jump etc but no joy!

Also all the signage has gone missing from a lot of the stations, a real pity, as so few places offer these facilities.

P.S Got no response not surprisingly ....

Ha! Yes they are very high indeed, even for a tall person like myself. If you had a workout partner you could get a "boost" or there are semi circle-like handles at each end of the monkey bars that are not as high. I know they're working slightly different muscles than a traditional pull up(?) but the principal would still be the same no? Slightly different hand position like, just easier to access for the smaller folk.

Haven't tried Cabinteely Park, would certainly be interested in having a look at that, but Deer Park is a lot more accessible for me, I can work it in to my routine much easier without needing to drive.

For anyone based on the Northside, Fr Collins Park, Donameade have a very similar set up to Cabinteely Park. Haven't seen it personally in the flesh but have seen youtube vidz on it through facebook there a few weeks ago, someone demonstrating pull ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Hanley the stations in Cabinteely are all around the park, you can effectively do a circuit up there. I don't know if there's any kind of circuit classes done along those lines up there right now but (to my mind) it would be a winning idea. I'd go :pac:

(I have to be bullied into cardio....)

g'em wrote: »
    If you can manage to bring a random child with you go to the playground in the park too.
    I think Transform might bring clients there in the early morning. I have never had a go, the climbing frame is massive
    Ooh also when you go in the main entrance go over the bridge and there's a perfect incline for doing hill sprints.
    And there is a weird set of parallel bar things past that bridge too, they are sloped and closer together than the normal parallel bars.
    These are the exact same as the ones in cabinteely too. If you are go in the entrance near cabinteely village you turn left and come across the monkey bars first, then down to the chinups, then over the bridge to the weird parallel bars. If you go in the entrance and turn right it is parallel bars, then I think it is pushup bars, and a "stretching station".
    It could be to keep kids off them, restricting them to the normal playground, and there are no mats under the adult stuff.
    there are semi circle-like handles at each end of the monkey bars that are not as high
    You can do "skin the cat" moves on those handles at the end, like on rings, moving your feet up over your head. The monkey bars are good for neutral grip pullups, and the side bars are thick for thick grip chins. If you can hold onto the circular handle you might be able to jump up, get the other hand on the higher bars, and use your leg on the wooden post to boost yourself up into place.
    I don't know if there's any kind of circuit classes done along those lines up
    There is bootcamp stuff going on in the park, I have never seen them on the chinup bars or dip bars though. I think any info like that would be up on notice boards around the house building in the park.

I posted this a while ago
    rubadub wrote: »
    Spotted a row of chinup bars in kilbogget park yesterday, must be seapoint rugby clubs (cabinteely GAA also are based there). They are welded onto the side of a 40ft shipping container, you could probably have a full rugby team on them.

You can see the area on google maps in the link below, the containers are under the trees on the top left. There is also a good railing forming a V shape that you can do dips on near the row of cars at the top centre. And you can see the playground which you could go to at night or early morning. There are 2 or 3 basketball nets around the buildings too.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=kilbogget+park+dublin&hl=en&ll=53.259006,-6.138597&spn=0.000613,0.001742&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=52.637906,114.169922&t=h&z=20

There is a gravelly running track in the park and they have now painted lane lines on it. And there is a new low fenced football pitch beside the playground which is not shown on maps.

If you have kids further northwest in the park they have done up the river which now has lots of ducks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

GSOIRL wrote: »
    Glasthule/Sandycove strand.

These are not what OP was talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Fr Collins Park is alright, but not a patch on malahide castle tho. Ran the loop around Fr Collins today and I'd say its only about 1km maybe 1.5km with stations dotted along. But some of the stations are a bit useless...those weird hand pedalling machines and the likes. I did see a bootcamp class deadlifting down there last week..that was oddly cool.

As for Malahide, the circuit loop is 3km, but you can make it 4km if you cut out 4 of the 16 stations. Stations are in good enough nick and seem more purposeful then Fr Collins Park.

Im still terrified on doing those leap wrong things in Malahide Park :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

In Tymon park - over at the templeogue entrance just past the kids playground there is a small wooded area that as an assortment of climbing racks and roped stations, monkey bars and the like.

Not sure if they are purpose built for chin up's, pulls ups etc but I was there recently takingyoung daughter for a walk through the park and there was a couple of guys there using them for all manner of exercises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Tymon park in Tallaght

Pull up bars/Monkey Bars/Dip bars + fitness woodland trail.

Some info available here http://parks.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=83&Itemid=144

No pics of actual bodyweight stations unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Does anyone know if there are any facilities like these in St Anne's park, Raheny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Does anyone know if there are any facilities like these in St Anne's park, Raheny?

No I'm pretty sure there's none. Fr Collins Park is only in Donaghmede though.

I like Fr Collins Park, there's pull up bars and parallel bars. Plus it's got windmills.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    No I'm pretty sure there's none. Fr Collins Park is only in Donaghmede though.

I like Fr Collins Park, there's pull up bars and parallel bars. Plus it's got windmills.
    Ah okay, the new one up beside Clongriffin. Will check it out!

Out for a walk tonight and snapped a few of the stations in cabinteely...

cabinteely.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

What would the bars in the last pic be used for?

Does anyone know of any of these in Cork?

What would the bars in the last pic be used for?

According to the signage, pushups....I'd have thought a higher bar again would be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Ah! I see it now! bridges maybe too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

According to the signage, pushups....I'd have thought a higher bar again would be better.

I never knew what the lower bars were for, there's no signs in Fr Collins.

Super thread! It's amazing what a bunch of heads coming together can achieve! Very useful to know some of our parks have all of these facilities, with the weather the way it is, it'd be rude to waste the opportunity to get some work done in the sun! I just hope I haven't put the mockery on the weather...

*runs for cover*

Out for a walk tonight and snapped a few of the stations in cabinteely...

cabinteely.jpg

Absolutely KILLER. Cannot wait to get out there on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

top row, middle pic. What is that used for.

Absolutely KILLER. Cannot wait to get out there on Saturday.

I'd join you only I'm on a promise of doing some painting. A word of warning, burpees/pushups to pullups don't work too well on damp clay, tore a callous there pretty badly on the monkey bars...the clay turns glue like as it dries out!
    Mellor wrote: »

Really not sure, there are about 3-4 other stations that I couldn't figure out on top of those too. Most of the signs are gone from vandalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Shankhill has a few stations, one of the ones way up the back beside the monkey bars even has a set or two of rings on it (if I'm thinking clearly).

Im gonna use em for dymbic dips/hand walks anyway. Start at one end explode, catch air, move down a bit w/o feet touching, repeat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Ha! Yes they are very high indeed, even for a tall person like myself. If you had a workout partner you could get a "boost" or there are semi circle-like handles at each end of the monkey bars that are not as high. I know they're working slightly different muscles than a traditional pull up(?) but the principal would still be the same no? Slightly different hand position like, just easier to access for the smaller folk.

Yeah tried that tks, but the semi-circle bars are *way* too far apart for me! I think I'll have to go with the 'boost' option, but tbh, it's a long drop too if I slipped my grip!

There are another set near those pushups which are higher, they are meant for stretching, I see runners use them. You could do pushups on them. The 3 chinup bars are good too, the lowest could be used for very easy pushups. I was trying to do doing jumping muscleups on them, you can do negatives on the middle height bar pretty well.
    Im gonna use em for dymbic dips/hand walks anyway.
    Thats what I called the weird parallel bars its good for handwalks but they are too close together for my liking. I have no idea why the posts going into the ground are so asymmetrical. You can do really deep dips at the highest point.
    tore a callous there pretty badly on the monkey bars.
    same here, go easy!

Yeah tried that tks, but the semi-circle bars are *way* too far apart for me!
    If you had a bit of wood it could be angled against the post to help you up. If you hold one circle bit with both hands you might be able to 'walk up' the post, and get each arm up on the higher bars 1 at a time. I had an adjustable webbing strap one time that I slung over the top and use as a foot strap, trying to do assisted muscleups.

In cabinteely these stations are near wooded areas where you could leave stuff stashed. I was thinking of leaving a small cement block there that I could hold between my legs for chins & dips. Down on the beach I can do dips on railings and use large stones for weight.

I have used climbing rope and rings on the monkey bars, one warning is not to leave yourself so knackered that you can't get them back down! If you are doing timed routines or something you might have passing kids wanting a go of them if you are not using them.

Found this about dun laoghaire

gym_1005087t.jpg

http://www.herald.ie/news/city-suburb-gets-outdoor-gym-despite-protests-by-angry-locals-2989800.html
    Monday January 16 2012

A HOST of new exercise machines has been installed on one of the most sought-after costal areas of the capital -- despite the majority of locals voting against the it.

At a meeting of the Sandycove and Glasthule Residents Association in November, 107 residents out of 110 voted against the idea of the outdoor gym on the coast at Newtownsmith.

However, since then six exercise machines have been installed by Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council at a cost of €29,000.

Bob Waddell, a member of the association's committee said: "We had a meeting at the end of last year and 107 people voted against it, and three went for it.

"We don't stand against anything to do with improvement of health. But the whole area should be kept solely as a green area.

"There were a number of residents particularly anti this plan, because they felt it would bring anti-social behaviour."

Outdoor gyms are commonplace across Europe, the US and Asia.

A spokesperson from DLRCC said: "The units are robust and well suited to their location along the seafront promenade.

"There were some vocal objections from the Glasthule and Sandycove Residents Association when the proposal was in planning, however now that it is installed the outdoor gym has been well received by the public who appreciate the opportunity keep fit and vary their exercise routine."

Cllr Jane Dillon Byrne said: "I use it every day.

"It's free of charge and a compliment to the Sli na Slainte scheme which aims to make people fitter."

There are also outdoor gyms at Blackrock Park and Balawley Park.
    €29,000 and not even a chinup bar :mad:, big waste, esp as it has no real resistance so you may aswell just run about. Many costal carparks have height barriers on the way into the carparks that you can do pullups on. And some bike lockup railings are close enough together for dips.

More pics in a park in Ballawley park in sandyford here
    http://www.onlyoutdoors.ie/latest-news/138-ballawley-park-in-sandyford-gets-an-outdoor-gym.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement