Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bodyweight parks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Wollwead

Alright fellow enthusiasts due to the fantastic information provided by some of you guys here I decided to pay a visit to Tymon Park and test out the facilities today. Brought my own Kettlebell and mixed some swings with hill sprints, there's a super hill when you come in the templeogue entrance ( you just walk through the couple of GAA pitches first straight ahead which will lead you to the hill and the wood trail will be on your left) and that hill is located just yards from the wood trail where the monkey bars are located. The monkey bars aren't perfect for pull ups but that was part of the fun if I'm honest, really fat side bars meant it was quite challenging on my grip! Also the actual thin monkey bars werent quite wide enough for hand positioning for pullups. Really enjoyed the 45 minutes or so I spent there getting my work done. Got some strange looks from some of the kids though while swinging a Kettlebell over my head!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Cabinteely Park is f*cking AMAZING.

Had soooo much fun there today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Hanley wrote: »
    Cabinteely Park is f*cking AMAZING.

Had soooo much fun there today.
    I live 5mins walk from there and do a circuit between those bars, the oh ladder (I do toes to bar on those) and parallel bars. Also use the large park benches for box jumps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15 LoganV

Thanks to everyone here for making this great forum. I've been training regularly with my mate in Fr. Collins Park for almost a year now and we're looking for an occasional change of scenery. I knew about Malahide park but I had no idea about the other parks. I can say that Cabinteely will certainly be getting a visit soon, possibly the others as well. These things need to become ubiquitous.

Also, on the Dun Laoghaire gear, it beggars belief that the Co.Co. could spend €4800 per machine even when you take labour and "planning" into account. You could have a personal trainer on standby in the park all year for that much like! I reckon an extremely sturdy pull up and dip station could be built for €200 or less.

Speaking of which, has anyone made a home or garden pull up bar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15 LoganV

http://www.onlyoutdoors.ie/latest-news/187-2012-sports-capital-program-funding-announced-outdoor-gyms-eligible.html

Some free money going for outdoor gyms! Get on to the TDs/residents associations if you want one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

Is it just me or are the 3 pull up bars in Cabinteely park more difficult to use than average?? Maybe it's my imagination but the bars seem to be of a larger diameter than most in gyms and so you can't get as strong a grip on it because you can't contract your forearm flexors as much. I can only do a fraction of the muscle ups, chins ups and pull ups that I can knock out in my gym...

Duffman'05 wrote: »
    Is it just me or are the 3 pull up bars in Cabinteely park more difficult to use than average?? Maybe it's my imagination but the bars seem to be of a larger diameter than most in gyms and so you can't get as strong a grip on it because you can't contract your forearm flexors as much. I can only do a fraction of the muscle ups, chins ups and pull ups that I can knock out in my gym...

I was out there recently with someone who struggles with pull ups in the gym normally and they were able to bust them out easier in the park. They did use Chalk where they normally wouldn't tho... Soooooo I'mma say it's the coating on the bar which makes it tougher for you.

They're a bit "springier" than gym bars too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

I was out there recently with someone who struggles with pull ups in the gym normally and they were able to bust them out easier in the park. They did use Chalk where they normally wouldn't tho... Soooooo I'm say it's the coating on the bar which makes it tougher for you.

Sounds reasonable, the bars do have a much smoother surface than the ones in my gym now that I think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Need a park in Cork City. Pity the 2012 Capital Programme isn't going so well for me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Thud

Hit deer park today, place was packed with kids on an Easter egg hunt. Monkey bars are cool but parents kept lifting there fat kids up and leaving them hanging there until they fell off.;)

A lot of lower bars around I couldn't work out what they were for, one kid was doing tumbles over them.....hadn,t seen that manoeuvre on the Barstarz videos so passed on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

ill be hittin deer park more often now never realised there was dip bars great. I run from ucd up as a warm up and do my workout on the monkey bars its great to get outside and not have to pay for a smelly gym :)
    heres some inspiration this guy has great videos
    http://youtu.be/5HY9UkgwNY0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Duffman'05 wrote: »
    Is it just me or are the 3 pull up bars in Cabinteely park more difficult to use than average??
    I have to jump up to get on the high one which takes it out of me. Then the middle one is too low for my liking so I have to bend knees. While at home it is the perfect height and I am not tired out -I have usually been cycling if I am in cabinteely
    +1, you notice this a lot on the parallel bars, if you are in the middle its much more springy than up near the ends.

The manufacturer of the stuff in dunlaoghaire is Kompan. The also have them in the park in Blackrock too near the centre of the map here
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=blackrock+park+dublin&hl=en&ll=53.304418,-6.185464&spn=0.000631,0.001742&sll=39.884878,-75.350332&sspn=0.012975,0.027874&t=h&hq=blackrock+park&hnear=Dublin,+County+Dublin,+Ireland&z=20

Again there is no simple chinup bar for some reason. They have a leg raise thing like this in blackrock which I was just about able to do dips on, holding onto the bars at the very end, the one I used has armrests not shown here.
    fetchfile.aspx?file=44235&ps=ProductWebImage

You can see more stuff here http://products.kompan.com/us/Products/FITACTIVE/X-ERCISE/index.html

Extra pissed off now as they do have pullup bars in the range which I bet are a lot cheaper than the stuff they did install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

rubadub wrote: »
    You can see more stuff here http://products.kompan.com/us/Products/FITACTIVE/X-ERCISE/index.html

Extra pissed off now as they do have pullup bars in the range which I bet are a lot cheaper than the stuff they did install.

The Flex Trainer (KPX224) can be used to do pull/chin ups

AntiVirus wrote: »
    The Flex Trainer (KPX224) can be used to do pull/chin ups
    Yeah, it looks like there are 4 items with chinup bars on the list. But I was saying none of them were in blackrock or dun laoghaire (unless I missed them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

rubadub wrote: »
    Yeah, it looks like there are 4 items with chinup bars on the list. But I was saying none of them were in blackrock or dun laoghaire (unless I missed them).

Aw thats a pitty, it probably the best piece of exercise equipment they could have put in the park.

I have heard they are putting them in in my local park here in Lucan.

• Advertisement

AntiVirus wrote: »
    I have heard they are putting them in in my local park here in Lucan.
    You could try emailing them and tell them to make sure they have a chinup bar. A combined "power tower" chinup & dip station would be great.

The people making the decisions on what to get might not have a clue, and go for the fanciest looking stuff thinking its better value as it looks more complex & impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rayhaan

many thanks to everyone for all the valuable information, it's good to know where all this stuff is located in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

Based on this link:
    http://www.emerhiggins.com/2012/02/adult-exercise-equipment-to-be.html
    It suggests that Griffeen park, Lucan got/is getting an installation of this stuff, it says it was going to be in by April, does anyone know if it went in and whereabouts it is?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

i just went for a walk in the local park in drogheda and realised theyve installed lots of exercise equipment, delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Great thread. Wonder if the mods could add this to the useful threads stickie?:D On another note the Phoenix Park has no bodyweight stations. Strange seeing its the biggest open park in Europe & the largest in Ireland. Although I have used the goalposts at the 15 acres for some thickbar pull-ups & chins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 RC1979

FYI
    7977501115_845459879c_m.jpg
    7977504226_cfd3562b93_m.jpg
    7977503699_eb81735391_m.jpg
    7977506638_d79420478d_m.jpg
    7977505606_377418fcb8_m.jpg

https://maps.google.ie/maps/ms?msid=210412376802794596071.0004c9728eb534617e3f6&msa=0&ll=53.346939,-6.353402&spn=0.014219,0.042272

chin-up bars, parallels, even some triangular rings :confused:

there are small benches too, I think there for doing sit ups, but perfect width if you wanna try straddle planche

still can get a Muscle Up:mad: i'm buying a resistance band:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Is there any of these south side close to Rathmines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

that looks brilliant!! so jealous!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

Of course there is the one in charlesland in greystones in the shoreline sports park, €2 in but well maintained and quiet with numerous workout stations plus theres an athletics track too!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

davidlacey wrote: »
    Of course there is the one in charlesland in greystones in the shoreline sports park, €2 in but well maintained and quiet with numerous workout stations plus theres an athletics track too!

Plus there is a circuit class every tue and thur
    http://www.shorelineleisure.ie/index.php?id=eco_gym

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

eire-kp wrote: »
    Is there any of these south side close to Rathmines?

Mind you , this is playground for the kids but still does the job

Pullup bars/Monkey bars etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Anybody know any parks on the north side of Dublin. I'm in Dublin 15. I know there is cross trainer machines near Blanchardstown but there's no chin/pull bars etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

They have installed several bodyweight workout stations in RATHCOOLE PARK in South Co Dublin in recent months. They're along the same lines as the ones in Dun Laoghaire shown above. Will try snap a few pics this week when walking the oul madra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Great thread. Two more spotted for ye on the drive home today. Ballyfermot, in the park opposite the Fas centre. And a brand spanking new one opposite the topaz garage on templeville road, just down from templeogue college.

Tech savvy boardsies, would it be complicated to set up a Google maps link where these could all be marked?

endacl wrote: »
    Great thread. Two more spotted for ye on the drive home today. Ballyfermot, in the park opposite the Fas centre. And a brand spanking new one opposite the topaz garage on templeville road, just down from templeogue college.

Tech savvy boardsies, would it be complicated to set up a Google maps link where these could all be marked?

Very simple and clever idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Good idea. Actually where are the bars in Malahide park? I was there recently but I couldn't find any bodyweight equipment.

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    Good idea. Actually where are the bars in Malahide park? I was there recently but I couldn't find any bodyweight equipment.

Yeah looked for it too. There's some stuff between the playground and carpark but it's the ****ty twisty turny stuff.

All the good stuff that was there years ago seems to be gone.

Very simple and clever idea
    I'd be happy to take it on, only it's not quite simple enough to overcome my cleverness deficit...

:o

I'd be happy to take it on, only it's not quite simple enough to overcome my cleverness deficit...

:o

Google maps > my places > create new map (make it public and name it) > right click locations on the map > add placemark > add title (park name) & description (equipment available)

It's very quick and easy to do. People can just PM you with locations you'e missed or can post here as a starting point.

Here's one I made of Dublin gyms when I was looking for a location for RevFit (let me know if it doesn't work https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208223103117534368311.0004aeb946fbfcbacb9eb&msa=0&ll=53.409123,-6.26564&spn=0.210792,0.611115&iwloc=0004aeb94e2785838220f)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

Yeah looked for it too. There's some stuff between the playground and carpark but it's the ****ty twisty turny stuff.

All the good stuff that was there years ago seems to be gone.

it's quite spread out - they have a run/exercise station /run style circuit.

I was up there 2 months ago and they had pull up bar, dip station, press up station , monkey bars etc..

Google maps > my places > create new map (make it public and name it) > right click locations on the map > add placemark > add title (park name) & description (equipment available)

It's very quick and easy to do. People can just PM you with locations you'e missed or can post here as a starting point.

Here's one I made of Dublin gyms when I was looking for a location for RevFit (let me know if it doesn't work https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208223103117534368311.0004aeb946fbfcbacb9eb&msa=0&ll=53.409123,-6.26564&spn=0.210792,0.611115&iwloc=0004aeb94e2785838220f)
    Thanks for the tutorial. That's my thing learned for the day! Will get to it later. I'll pop in location markers for all the places mentioned so far, and let people tidy it up in terms of making it more precise/descriptions etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

As promised, pics of the equipment in Rathcoole Park, South Co Dublin (facing Avoca on the Naas Rd)...

Dip Station

8006154904_68898a135b_n.jpg
    Rathcoole Park (5) by burgomeister08, on Flickr

Crosstrainer-type... thingy

8006155468_e801e3bafe_n.jpg
    Rathcoole Park (4) by burgomeister08, on Flickr

Bodyweight shoulderpress machine (kinda cool - lifts you up as you press)

8006155888_12d9c7146e_n.jpg
    Rathcoole Park (3) by burgomeister08, on Flickr

Airwalker thingy!

8006153337_9b488def7e_n.jpg
    Rathcoole Park (2) by burgomeister08, on Flickr

I call this the 'Wax-on, Wax-off' Station...

8006150609_64efae3f9f_n.jpg
    Rathcoole Park by burgomeister08, on Flickr

There are 2/3 of each of these stations on a few hundred-yard stretch of the park... personally, I'm sure for alot less money they could've taken a 50 sqyd plot in the park, put in some dip stations, monkey bars, chin-up bars and maybe one or two of these funny-looking machines and they'd have had a much more useful amenity...

If you keep an eye out you might spot stuff you can use which is not dedicated equipment. I have done dips on several railings. And on this entrance to kilboget park, looked on streetview to show it and sure enough some auld fella seems to have found another use for it, a stretching station!

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=dublin+ireland&hl=en&ll=53.254198,-6.141602&spn=0.001311,0.003484&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=56.112526,114.169922&t=m&hnear=Dublin,+County+Dublin,+Ireland&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.254122,-6.141689&panoid=MO0uwhwOnzJPXBaZ_-Guuw&cbp=12,325.55,,1,16.03

"Chinup bar" at killiney beach
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=dublin+ireland&hl=en&ll=53.256214,-6.113157&spn=0.001317,0.003484&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=56.112526,114.169922&t=m&hnear=Dublin,+County+Dublin,+Ireland&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.256377,-6.11314&panoid=aoXXKWTA3JPiOKcmMFQ8IQ&cbp=12,271.21,,1,3.71
    You can do extra wide dips on the bike railings behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    As promised, pics of the equipment in Rathcoole Park, South Co Dublin (facing Avoca on the Naas Rd)...

Dip Station

8006154904_68898a135b_n.jpg
    Rathcoole Park (5) by burgomeister08, on Flickr

Crosstrainer-type... thingy

8006155468_e801e3bafe_n.jpg
    Rathcoole Park (4) by burgomeister08, on Flickr

Bodyweight shoulderpress machine (kinda cool - lifts you up as you press)

8006155888_12d9c7146e_n.jpg
    Rathcoole Park (3) by burgomeister08, on Flickr

Airwalker thingy!

8006153337_9b488def7e_n.jpg
    Rathcoole Park (2) by burgomeister08, on Flickr

I call this the 'Wax-on, Wax-off' Station...

8006150609_64efae3f9f_n.jpg
    Rathcoole Park by burgomeister08, on Flickr

They have about 10 of those exact machines in 2 different spots in Tymon Park Too, The first on on the Templeoge side just behind the Spawell. The second over on the tallaght side near the lakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

They are cropping up all over the place, same fit-out in Templeogue near Glendown and another in Cherryfield park in Walkinstown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

If only there was one right in the city center! Smack dab middle! Cabinteely is great though, Green line ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Thud

still think plain chin up/dip/monkey bars would be cheaper and more useful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Anybody seen any of these in cork city?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Not in the city centre but on the public walk from rochestown to pasasage west, there's a selection of the machines as seen in Whip It!'s post

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭beebaw

these outdoor exercise gyms are great, they are in loads of the parks in South County dublin. The stuff looks great i think, i have only really started using it since it went in and am kinda enjoying it. I love the red/yellow on them they really brighten up the park. I just hope they are kept well and not damaged. They seem to be doing well so far anyway.
    The website from the instruction label is www.dynamx.ie and they seem to be putting these in all around the country

• Advertisement

Ive been done to my local park and im unimpressed to be honest, really gimmicky stuff imo, no pull up bars, monkey bars etc. The dip stations are fine but i fail to see the point of putting zero resistance air walkers and cross trainers in places you could walk or run to anyway.
    The circular tai chi things make no sense at all to me maybe soneone can explain them??
    This stuff ll be used a couple of tines by various casual users but cant see it providing any long term benefit.
    Basically imo this is another missed opportunity, instead of catering for people who train theyre trying to get people to train which imo is an inherently flawed approach.

Ive been done to my local park and im unimpressed to be honest, really gimmicky stuff imo, no pull up bars, monkey bars etc. The dip stations are fine but i fail to see the point of putting zero resistance air walkers and cross trainers in places you could walk or run to anyway.
    The circular tai chi things make no sense at all to me maybe soneone can explain them??
    This stuff ll be used a couple of tines by various casual users but cant see it providing any long term benefit.
    Basically imo this is another missed opportunity, instead of catering for people who train theyre trying to get people to train which imo is an inherently flawed approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭beebaw

TBH I don't think they are really designed for young people to do serious workouts on, i saw a lot of articles on them a while back and they seem to be more for the elderly for rehabilitation.

beebaw wrote: »
    TBH I don't think they are really designed for young people to do serious workouts on, i saw a lot of articles on them a while back and they seem to be more for the elderly for rehabilitation.

That's cool if that's what they're for I suppose but that in another way that would make it seem even less well thought out, I mean how do the old people who need rehab get down to the parks, when are they going to go, they probably aren't going to use them in the winter and they would get better care in a dedicated rehabilitation facility anyway.

Don't get me wrong I do think that stuff like this is a good idea but why not cater for people who want to train, if your going to spend all that money on tat then why not bang in a few proper stations as well.

CrazySka wrote: »
    That's cool if that's what they're for I suppose but that in another way that would make it seem even less well thought out, I mean how do the old people who need rehab get down to the parks, when are they going to go, they probably aren't going to use them in the winter and they would get better care in a dedicated rehabilitation facility anyway.

Don't get me wrong I do think that stuff like this is a good idea but why not cater for people who want to train, if your going to spend all that money on tat then why not bang in a few proper stations as well.

It doesn't matter what you're seen to do, once you do SOMETHING

(from a government/local council perspective - it's something to put on a flyer, no more)

• Advertisement
Advertisement