Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bodyweight parks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

Does anyone know what those Thai Chi twirly things do? I have no idea how to use them...

I also agree that they're aiming to hit the wrong market - you're not going to convert people who don't train into people who do train by putting some pieces of equipment in a park. However, if you put in pieces of equipment that people who already train can use then it would get a lot more use.

Bottom line - as Hanley said it's all politics

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

Agreed, politics getting in the way of well thought out decisions again...
    Shame though, this investment is a massive opportunity missed, put equipment out that people who are serious about training will use, kids will see them doing impressive stuff on bars and may want to try it too, the seed is sown for effective training.
    As it is we'll just have a few people mucking around on ineffective equipment until it gets taken over by some park based mommy bootcamps....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

It would be cheaper too. Putting up a few dip bars and pullup bars is alot cheaper than that airwalker crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 columk

I checkout out the one in Ballyfermot today.

Oh Jaysus.

There were six horses roaming around next to it which was fine, but the actual exercise equipment had a burnt out wheely bin and its contents spread out all over the area, broken glass EVERYWHERE, a recently emptied handbag, multiple charred areas full of burnt rubbish and melted plastic, cans, more broken glass, manky graffiti...

I was also paranoid about my bike the whole time I was there, especially with all the shady looking hatchbacks full of young lads roaming around the edge of the park. So overall, not the most pleasant experience!

Had a quick look at the one in Tempelogue too, it's just those crappy red and yellow zero-resistance machines, no bar for aerial work so I didn't bother stopping. They really looked awful and they are all spread out in a tiny park. I wonder if they have stopped people being able to play football matches as they seem to be right in the middle of the field the whole way across.

The kid's playground in Harold's Cross Park still wins out for me! (Cabinteely looks decent but is too far).

columk wrote: »
    I checkout out the one in Ballyfermot today.

Oh Jaysus.

There were six horses roaming around next to it which was fine, but the actual exercise equipment had a burnt out wheely bin and its contents spread out all over the area, broken glass EVERYWHERE, a recently emptied handbag, multiple charred areas full of burnt rubbish and melted plastic, cans, more broken glass, manky graffiti...

I was also paranoid about my bike the whole time I was there, especially with all the shady looking hatchbacks full of young lads roaming around the edge of the park. So overall, not the most pleasant experience!

Had a quick look at the one in Tempelogue too, it's just those crappy red and yellow zero-resistance machines, no bar for aerial work so I didn't bother stopping. They really looked awful and they are all spread out in a tiny park. I wonder if they have stopped people being able to play football matches as they seem to be right in the middle of the field the whole way across.

The kid's playground in Harold's Cross Park still wins out for me! (Cabinteely looks decent but is too far).

Prob not the best week for that place in Ballyfermot in fairness with Halloween and all :)
    That red an yellow kit is everywhere now, theres three parks in Lucan with the same stuff in it that Ive seen, could be more again.
    I was really looking forward to it when I heard they were putting outdoor exercise kit in, I had visions of going for a run to the local park and being able to do a circuit of bar work when I got there, cant really express how disappointed I am with that gear.......

Yeah you're right about the time of year but since it's the only structure in the park I imagine people will continue to drink there and leave behind their rubbish and broken glass year-round. I wouldn't ever be entirely comfortable with my bike there with me either.

If it was closer I would definitely use it but since it is reasonably dodgy and a 25 min cycle away I'll have to wait for something better to crop up.

Bushy Park perhaps!? Here's hoping!

Agreed, Its a bit ropey there in fairness..
    Bushy park have some pull up bars somewhere, used to do some bootcamp kinda yokes there a few years back and they brought us there once or twice, theyre near the bike trails at the back somewhere, cant remember exactly where though...

Ah, I searched the place a few months back and couldn't find them, I'll try again so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

CrazySka wrote: »
    Agreed, Its a bit ropey there in fairness..
    Bushy park have some pull up bars somewhere, used to do some bootcamp kinda yokes there a few years back and they brought us there once or twice, theyre near the bike trails at the back somewhere, cant remember exactly where though...
    As a kid (80s) I remember the workout stations in bushy park. Went looking for them some years ago. They used to be spread along the path in the woods at the south end of the park. They're long gone.

endacl wrote: »
    As a kid (80s) I remember the workout stations in bushy park. Went looking for them some years ago. They used to be spread along the path in the woods at the south end of the park. They're long gone.

Really? Couldnt have been more than two years ago i was on them, it was just some bars down near the cycle trails though, they were in a weird place like nearly at the to of a hill, maybe theyre gone since then though or maybe remnants of what was there years ago..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

CrazySka wrote: »

Really? Couldnt have been more than two years ago i was on them, it was just some bars down near the cycle trails though, they were in a weird place like nearly at the to of a hill, maybe theyre gone since then though or maybe remnants of what was there years ago..
    Remnants, I'd imagine. There used to be a course of numbered stations, including rings. Never saw anybody using the rings!

I found the pull up bars in Bushy Park, there are 3 bars of different heights but the tallest bar is only around 5'8''. They are along a trail behind the sports grounds and the area is overgrown. Not great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭rachaelf750

Has anyone on here ever used the bodyweight area in the people's park in Waterford city?
    I was on holidays there a few years and from memory I think its the best one.
    Anyone be able to put some pictures up?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

I sent an email to the Phoenix Park in Dublin to enquire about an installation of pull up/dip bars etc I even attached some of our videos we've made in Cabinteely Park.

This was the reply I got today:(

Thank you very much for emailing the Park regarding your suggestion for
    the installation of exercises bars. I understand that it has been
    considered in the past - but there is no immediate plans to install this
    exercise equipment. Nonetheless I have forwarded your observations onto
    Park management for their attention.

Please get in touch if you have any further queries.

Kind regards

Nice for taking the initiative. I wonder why the feckers won't install anything.

ferike1 wrote: »
    Nice for taking the initiative. I wonder why the feckers won't install anything.

Money I'd say. Gona send it to local TD, worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭beebaw

i think this is the stuff we need to get put into the parks, it is very similar to that in cabinteely http://dynamx.ie/?page_id=145 this crowd seem to have a good range of stuff.

beebaw wrote: »
    i think this is the stuff we need to get put into the parks, it is very similar to that in cabinteely http://dynamx.ie/?page_id=145 this crowd seem to have a good range of stuff.

I sent them photos of all the stuff in Cabinteely and Ballyfermot. The 3 pull up bars with the ladder attached and a set of parallel bars would do me.

Looks great its a shame all those installations have the faffy crap machines not the pull up/parallel bars which are probably cheaper. I might get them to put them in my garden in Wicklow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Ant11 wrote: »
    I sent them photos of all the stuff in Cabinteely and Ballyfermot. The 3 pull up bars with the ladder attached and a set of parallel bars would do me.

Good on you.
    This sort of stuff should be included in parks. There's a place for the air walker type stuff but anyone who's out doing serious training would appreciate a set of pull up bars and parallel bars.

I was in New Zealand in December and I went for a jog around a park in Christchurch which had a load of bodyweight exercise stations around the park in a fitness trail. There must have been at least 15 or so over a 3km loop. (I'm guessing with the distances)
    They even had rings. They were big iron rings on chains that left a nice orange smudge from the rust on your arms but they had them.
    The Phoenix park would definitely benefit from something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Anyone know if there are any around the Dublin 6 area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

There should be bars and fitness style things in every park, especially since everyone keeps moaning about obese children etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Have a strange feeling that knowing that there are a few bodyweight exercise stations in a park nearby isn't going to make obese children start exercising, cut down on eating the wrong foods, spend less time lazing about indoors etc....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Have a strange feeling that knowing that there are a few bodyweight exercise stations in a park nearby isn't going to make obese children start exercising, cut down on eating the wrong foods, spend less time lazing about indoors etc....

Bingo. You don't out exercise obesity.

The only people who'll get value out of it are the ones training regularly and are already pretty strong.

Paddy's Bars sent another email to Phoenix park, hopefully they start listening.

• Advertisement

Made a lists of the parks that have been mentioned in this thread or that I personally know of that have pull up bars and/or dip bars. If I missed any or you know of any more please add them.

Dublin
    Ballyfermot.
    Cabinteely Park.
    Malahide Castle.
    St. Catherine’s park, Lucan.
    Father Collins Park in Donameade/Clongriffe.
    Broadstone park outside the boxing club in Phisboro.
    Deer Park, Goatstown.
    Shanganagh Park in Shankill.
    Blackrock Park.
    Kilbogget park.
    Tymon park in Tallaght.
    Charlesland in Greystones.
    Belgrave park.
    Templeville road, Templeogue.

Waterford
    People's Park.
    Kilbarry Park.
    Ardkeen.

Cork
    Public walk from Rochestown to Pasasage West.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Made a lists of the parks that have been mentioned in this thread or that I personally know of that have pull up bars and/or dip bars. If I missed any or you know of any more please add them.

Dublin
    Ballyfermot.
    Cabinteely Park.
    Malahide Castle.
    Deer Park, Goatstown.
    Blackrock Park.
    Kilbogget park.
    Tymon park in Tallaght.
    Belgrave park.

Waterford
    People's Park.
    Kilbarry Park.
    Ardkeen.

Cork
    Thanks

Do you know wher in Blackrock Park?

No never been to that one. It was mentioned in the thread so added it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Dublin
    Ballyfermot.
    Cabinteely Park.
    Malahide Castle.
    Deer Park, Goatstown.
    Blackrock Park.
    Kilbogget park.
    Tymon park in Tallaght.
    Belgrave park.
    Rathcoole Park

Waterford
    People's Park.
    Kilbarry Park.
    Ardkeen.

Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Thanks

Do you know wher in Blackrock Park?
    There is no chinup bar I know of, there is a machine you can do dips on, but its not a bespoke dip station and not brilliant for dips.
    rubadub wrote: »
    The manufacturer of the stuff in dunlaoghaire is Kompan. The also have them in the park in Blackrock too near the centre of the map here
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=blackrock+park+dublin&hl=en&ll=53.304418,-6.185464&spn=0.000631,0.001742&sll=39.884878,-75.350332&sspn=0.012975,0.027874&t=h&hq=blackrock+park&hnear=Dublin,+County+Dublin,+Ireland&z=20

Again there is no simple chinup bar for some reason. They have a leg raise thing like this in blackrock which I was just about able to do dips on, holding onto the bars at the very end, the one I used has armrests not shown here.
    fetchfile.aspx?file=44235&ps=ProductWebImage

There is a playground with monkey bars here https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=blackrock+park+dublin&hl=en&ll=53.3083,-6.195199&spn=0.00068,0.001742&sll=53.3834,-8.21775&sspn=11.139078,28.54248&t=h&hq=blackrock+park&hnear=Dublin,+County+Dublin&z=20&layer=c&cbll=53.3083,-6.195199&panoid=-u3us986xDYFLkEkZfMWig&cbp=12,42.46,,0,-0.55
    I have never been in it, I'd only go in if there were no kids, i.e. only very early or late

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

First of all, thanks.

Second of all, where are the bars in Templeville Road? Are they publicly accessible or in the college?

Zamboni wrote: »
    First of all, thanks.

Second of all, where are the bars in Templeville Road? Are they publicly accessible or in the college?

I don't personally know of them, I just saw someone mention it in this thread so added it to the list. It may be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dublin
    Ballyfermot.
    Cabinteely Park.
    Malahide Castle.
    Deer Park, Goatstown.
    Blackrock Park.
    Kilbogget park.
    Tymon park in Tallaght.
    Belgrave park.

I wouldn't be so sure about the park in Belgrave Square. It's a playground for kids and it doesn't look like it has anything that could be used for pull-ups or dips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Thud

Marley Park has installed some of those usless exercise no resistance machines they put them beside the playground so at least the kids will be able to mess around on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I wouldn't be so sure about the park in Belgrave Square. It's a playground for kids and it doesn't look like it has anything that could be used for pull-ups or dips.
    Belgrave park can definitely be used; early monring and in the evening, did it quite a bit myself before I moved.

There is stuff there for pull-ups, monkey ring work and straight bar dips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It's a playground for kids and it doesn't look like it has anything that could be used for pull-ups or dips.
    Maybe have another look, don't just look for things resembling traditional dip stations or chinup bars. In a playground near me there are 2 post things in the ground which I can do dips on, laying my hands flat on top of them. Another 2 bars let me do really wide dips. Them outside of the playground there is a railing I can do dips on where it forms a right angle in the corner.

rubadub wrote: »
    Maybe have another look, don't just look for things resembling traditional dip stations or chinup bars. In a playground near me there are 2 post things in the ground which I can do dips on, laying my hands flat on top of them. Another 2 bars let me do really wide dips. Them outside of the playground there is a railing I can do dips on where it forms a right angle in the corner.

From a distance it didn´t look as though there was anything like that but if there is, all the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

From a distance it didn´t look as though there was anything like that but if there is, all the better.

Well, you'll be swinging out playground yokes designed for kids but all you need is an elevated bar and you're away.

Sangre wrote: »
    Well, you'll be swinging out playground yokes designed for kids but all you need is an elevated bar and you're away.

I've always passed by after having been in Raw, which is closer so I've looked less closely. That said,the last time I was in an area like that was in Galway a few years back out Fr Griffin Rd at 3am on one of those horses on a big spring having great craic.

Not quite a bodyweight park but DCC have put up some equipment on Sandymount prom.

BpsryMNCYAE2eMf.jpg

• Advertisement

Not quite a bodyweight park but DCC have put up some equipment on Sandymount prom.

BpsryMNCYAE2eMf.jpg
    What in the name of holy :eek::P:pac:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Has anyone seen the stuff in Marlay Park beside the children's playground?

Unbelievable waste of money.

Has anyone seen the stuff in Marlay Park beside the children's playground?

Unbelievable waste of money.
    I'm up there a good bit, have never seen anyone but kids on it, whoever is working in sales for that crowd is doing a good job....that or there's a brown envelope coming back to someone in the coco afterwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

BpsryMNCYAE2eMf.jpg

I live about 5min away from them but havnt been down to see them yet. I cant imagine wanting to use them though, very exposed being right beside the path. Even assuming the machines are useful last thing I want is being surrounded by giggling kids or bumping into passing neighbours.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Thud wrote: »
    I'm up there a good bit, have never seen anyone but kids on it, whoever is working in sales for that crowd is doing a good job....that or there's a brown envelope coming back to someone in the coco afterwards

I can only imagine that when there is a meeting to decide what equipment to install, people who never train pipe up saying "chin up bars are only for the super fit, what about people like me?" Then they install all that ****e to keep the lazy ones happy, and still they stay at home watching operation transformation and eating crisps while the "fit" people who would actually love to train outdoors, still have to pay into gyms.

I can only imagine that when there is a meeting to decide what equipment to install, people who never train pipe up saying "chin up bars are only for the super fit, what about people like me?" Then they install all that ****e to keep the lazy ones happy, and still they stay at home watching operation transformation and eating crisps while the "fit" people who would actually love to train outdoors, still have to pay into gyms.

the DSD running club train up there, i'm sure they wouldn't have minded some useful equipment and could have given some input

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭atilladehun

BpsryMNCYAE2eMf.jpg

There's one pullup station and one parallel dip bar station.

There's one pullup station and one parallel dip bar station.
    Ah, right. I went for a look and found something like a single of this 46a5480a5ad58df6872ea4a61b1ede49.jpg back-to-back with a single of this abdac5c5e8d7b692887d9ec5293da74f.jpg(forgot to take a photo), at the north end of the promenade. +Found the plans announced on a councillor’s website http://www.eoghanmurphy.ie/2014/05/12/outdoor-gym-equipment-for-sandymount-promenade/

Certainly good to have them, though the pull-up station doesn’t cater for close-grip supinated/pronated pulls (however neutral grip pullups can be done on the inside of the bars where they bend back to anchor to the support, albeit without a rubberised grip) [Edit: Maybe could hang off one 'side' to do that - will try if I'm out that way again]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

What about Phoenix Park? Surely that has something.

• Advertisement

Saw a nice set of dip bars and a sit up thing in a new park/playground today. It's not opened yet, no sign of a chin up bar though. It's in Ballycullen

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/53%C2%B016'23.4%22N+6%C2%B019'05.1%22W/@53.2710489,-6.3168528,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Advertisement