Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mobile phone "cramming" scam

• 29-03-2012 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi there,

My friend has recently falen victim to a scam that i have come to learn is called "cramming".

Basically she keeps getting calls on her bills that she did not make, these calls are always to psychics numbers and at a premium rate. None of them show on her iPhone's recent call list.

She is with 3.ie and they are very unhelpful in the matter, saying they cannot do anything about it.

I am wondering has anyone on here ever had a simillar experiance and what did they do about it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭UnkieKev

showtime wrote: »
    Hi there,

My friend has recently falen victim to a scam that i have come to learn is called "cramming".

Basically she keeps getting calls on her bills that she did not make, these calls are always to psychics numbers and at a premium rate. None of them show on her iPhone's recent call list.

She is with 3.ie and they are very unhelpful in the matter, saying they cannot do anything about it.

I am wondering has anyone on here ever had a simillar experiance and what did they do about it?

Thanks

Haven't heard of this, but do a full factory reset and get a new sim and have the number changed.

if the phone is infected in anyway the factory rest should sort it.

Don't copy over any data and use the old fashioned pen and paper to take down contacts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I don't think the reset will solve the problem. These charges are a huge problem in the US with companies now being chased by Government agencies over it. I think the scam involves someone signing something they believe to be innocent but the small print means they give consent to be charged for premium calls etc.

Is the phone a bill-pay service or RTG ? From the article linked above it would seem the phone company is complicit in these scams. Maybe another call to 3 is needed.

Ken

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Are they for calls, or unwanted subscription service?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭showtime

hi guys thanks for the replies.

it is a bill pay phone

the calls are calls that the user simply did not make, they show up as 1590 numbers to things like psychic networks

it's costing her a lot of money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Complain to comgreg . . Keep the list of phone numbers and calls and get them to investigate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Get 3 to restrict Premium numbers from her account should be easily enough done, O2 had that facility years ago and then if any further call are made they can investigate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Mobiles & PDAs

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

OP get your friend to post here:
    http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1367

This is the 3 forum here on boards. Fiona and Patrick are employed by 3, they'll look into it. Your friend needs to post though as they'll only deal with the account holder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

There's a good chance It's a virus, is there any security package on the phone? Is the phone jailbroken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Could you not setup a password to restrict all outgoing calls and SMS messages?

• Advertisement
Advertisement