Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS server that supports windows and OSX lion

Options
  • 29-03-2012 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am looking for a small NAS server for my office.

I need one that supports both Windows and OSX Lion. I have read that OSX Lion is terrible with NAS servers and that it will not commuinicate with many of them.

I have tons of reviews online but even the ones that advertise as OSX compatible have people reviewing them saying they do not work.

If anyone has had any experiance with this issue I'd love to hear from you

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

All the Synology NAS's support SMB/CIFS (windows), NFS (Linux) and AFP (Apple) as well as FTP & HTTP access, I'd highly reocmmend them if you're looking for a small pre-built NAS, you just throw in whatever HDD(s) you want and you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭showtime

vibe666 wrote: »
    All the Synology NAS's support SMB/CIFS (windows), NFS (Linux) and AFP (Apple) as well as FTP & HTTP access, I'd highly reocmmend them if you're looking for a small pre-built NAS, you just throw in whatever HDD(s) you want and you're sorted.

thanks.

and will the osx devices and the windows devices be able to read and write to the same drives?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yup, you can integrate into active directory or have local user rights on the NAS to dictate who can write to what share, depending on how your network is configured.

you can buy anything from single disk NAS's to the big rackmount jobbies with 10+ disks, depending on your needs.

objiously if your needs are that big there's other enterprise type stuff for you to look into, but for a small business, Synology can do pretty much anything you will need.

Advertisement