Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maywesther 5 more fights

• 29-03-2012 10:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

Floyd Mayweather Jr. Says - I'll Fight "Five More Times"
    By Edward Chaykovsky

Floyd Mayweather Jr. (42-0, 26KOs) is looking to fight five more times before retiring from the sport. Mayweather, 35-years-old, returns on May 5th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. He faces WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto (37-2, 30KOs). Mayweather wants to have at least two fights per year, which puts him on the path to retirement at age 37. On June 1, Mayweather will report to the Clark County Detention Center in Las Vegas to spend 87 days in jail for a domestic abuse charge. He wants to take another fight in the fall.

"Safe to say, probably -- this one [with Cotto], plus five more. And of course, I'm probably not looking to fight six strong champions," Mayweather told David Mayo of the Grand Rapids Press. "I'm a lot older now, you know what I'm saying?"

I did not know he had prison time still to serve

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

He is planning to equal the Marciano record, 48-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Muzi5434

He is planning to equal the Marciano record, 48-0.

Marciano was 49-0, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Muzi5434 wrote: »
    Marciano was 49-0, no?

spot on

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

barney4001 wrote: »
    And of course, I'm probably not looking to fight six strong champions," Mayweather told David Mayo of the Grand Rapids Press. "I'm a lot older now, you know what I'm saying?"

Sure why change the habit of a lifetime, Floyd?

walshb wrote: »
    Sure why change the habit of a lifetime, Floyd?

I severly doubt that was said, even if that was his plan of action.

floyd's resume is impressive anyway, he has fought some quality names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Out of interest, who should Floyd have fought that he didn't? I know Margarito's the one people always refer to. Did he duck Mosely until he was past it? Did he duck Cotto or did Top Rank ever want that fight? Paul Williams?

Henno30 wrote: »
    Out of interest, who should Floyd have fought that he didn't? I know Margarito's the one people always refer to. Did he duck Mosely until he was past it? Did he duck Cotto or did Top Rank ever want that fight? Paul Williams?

Not all that sure, but looking at his resume, it doesn't impress me greatly. He does, but the fighters he beat don't impress me too much. His biggest wins are over a faded and past it Oscar, in what I thought a razor close fight. A dominant destruction of Gatti, who too was past it, and never a style to beat Floyd. Floyd still looked brilliant in that. And, at 140 lbs I think Floyd is a match for any man ever.

Other wins were over Hatton, and let's be real, what is special here? Apart from the fact that Hatton was unbeaten.

Mosley? C'mon. Mosley has been finished several years now.

Who else? Judah? Well, that's clutching isn't it?

Castillo got the nod in many folks eyes when they did meet. Floyd deserved the return win, but Castillo would never have given much trouble to other great LW fighters I feel.

Oh, his masteclass vs. Corrales was very impressive. One of the most complete performances I have ever seen inside a ring.

JMM. This was never a formidable opponent for Floyd. JMM is a LW, who went all the way to WW to meet Floyd. A LW who also is past his peak days.

Looking back over his career I don't see any signature win, top notch wins over top notch opposition. But I still think at 130-140 lbs Floyd is a hell of a boxer. Class!

Some good opposition, just nothing to get real excited about.

What Mayweather's career is really missing is great fights. He has delivered some great performances, but precious few memorable nights. What he has needed is a great rival, which is why I think he should have gone out of his way to make the Pacquiao fight happen. In the fullness of time, who know's how Pacquiao will be rated, but his standing in recent years has made him the kind of scalp that Mayweather's career is crying out for. His victory over DLH will always mean something, but like Mosely, Oscar was clearly past his best. He sometimes compares himself to SRL, but Ray had Hearns, Hagler, and Duran. For all Mayweather's skills, how can he seriously compare himself to that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

What Mayweather's career is really missing is great fights. He has delivered some great performances, but precious few memorable nights. What he has needed is a great rival, which is why I think he should have gone out of his way to make the Pacquiao fight happen. In the fullness of time, who know's how Pacquiao will be rated, but his standing in recent years has made him the kind of scalp that Mayweather's career is crying out for. His victory over DLH will always mean something, but like Mosely, Oscar was clearly past his best. He sometimes compares himself to SRL, but Ray had Hearns, Hagler, and Duran. For all Mayweather's skills, how can he seriously compare himself to that?

pacman will never happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Mayweather fought Oscar at super welter weight which was a perfect weight for Oscar. He deserves a lot of credit for that victory.

The reason Mayweather hasn't given us any "memorable" nights so far is because no one has been good enough to trouble him. Mayweather has fought some very good fighters with another tough fight coming up against Cotto at super middle weight which was a big fight to take. Cotto is no push over although Floyd will win easily IMO.

Floyd and Manny will never fight IMO and to be honest the subject has become boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

I can't see him fighting any more than 3 more times, including the Cotto fight.

The reason Mayweather hasn't given us any "memorable" nights so far is because no one has been good enough to trouble him.

Yeah but that's not the point, is it? The fact remains that he hasn't left any memorable fights for posterity, no great entries in the history of the sport. I'm not assigning blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

No one can question his opposition at Super-Featherweight and Lightweight.
    It's above that a significant debate occurs.

You could question he avoided Tszyu at Light-Welterweight, although a counterargument to this is that a Tszyu fight may have been made had Tszyu not lost to Hatton. Fights with Cotto and Hatton would have ideally been made at this weight.

Up at Welterweight fights with Paul Williams, Antonio Margarito and Cotto should have been made, and a fight with Shane Mosley certainly could of been made sooner. Cintron would have also been a good quality dangerous opponent that wasn't met

Credit does indeed have to be given for him going up to Light-Middleweight to beat Oscar, however you could say if he was willing to fight Oscar up at Light-Middleweight, why not test himself against the best at the weight, Sergio Martinez, Sergey Dzinzurik and Daniel Santos would have all been bigger tests than Oscar by that time.

I'm glad the Cotto fight is happening, but unfortunately I believe Cotto has seen better days at this stage and is not the fighter he was at Light-Welterweight, and particularly Welterweight. I also am not sure Floyd will be willing to fight any other Light-Middleweights other than Saul Alvarez. Erislandy Lara, and Paul Williams are unlikely to be on the agenda....

The whole Pacman saga leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth aswell, not matter which side you'd like to blame. Overall he has fought some very good fighters at Light-Welterweight and Welterweight, and he's now starting to build a reasonable resume at Light-Middleweight, but I just feel it could have been that bit better, and for a fighter of his calibre, that's a real shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭clubwelly

His distruction of Chico Corrales was something else. I think he did loose to castilo but def won the rematch. Wud have loved to seen him fight Kosta at 140.

I'm not sure if there's another 5 fights out there for him.

I do think that the Arum bust up did stop a few fights from not being made

clubwelly wrote: »
    His distruction of Chico Corrales was something else. I think he did loose to castilo but def won the rematch. Wud have loved to seen him fight Kosta at 140.

I'm not sure if there's another 5 fights out there for him.

I do think that the Arum bust up did stop a few fights from not being made

He utterly destroyed Corrales. Regardless of Corrales' mental condition at the time it was an amazing performance. He lost that fight to Castillo alright. Castillo landed more shots, was the aggressor, and was the champion. Floyd was extremely fortunate to get that decision.

I don't think Cotto is going to be a major feather in his cap, unless Cotto turns in a great performance while he does it. Whether or not Cotto is capable of the workrate and discipline he's going to need to make this a fight remains to be seen. It could easily turn into Cotto getting beaten to the punch all night and Floyd tearing his face up.

Are Sky Sports showing this bout with Cotto and Mayweather?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I reckon Mayweather vs Martinez will be fighting in November, and I for one would much prefer it too pacquoia as I think Martinez would have a realistic chance of winning. Also mayweather has been saying he could move up to middleweight, which would be very brave considering Martinez has been saying he would even move down to 150. If I were Floyd I'd fight him at 154, he'd get more respect but would not be expected to move up to middleweight,

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

Cant see him fighting 5 more times to be honest. He's never been the most active. Whatever else he does he'll be remembered as an ATG. I cant see him fighting Manny either that ship appears to have sailed. After he beats Cotto would like to see him fight Khan (mainly to shut him up) Canelo, Martinez and maybe Brook depending on how he progresses. Obviously understandable if he didn't fancy fighting the 2 bigger boys. All winnable fights for him but all tests in their own way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Cant see him fighting 5 more times to be honest. He's never been the most active. Whatever else he does he'll be remembered as an ATG. I cant see him fighting Manny either that ship appears to have sailed. After he beats Cotto would like to see him fight Khan (mainly to shut him up) Canelo, Martinez and maybe Brook depending on how he progresses. Obviously understandable if he didn't fancy fighting the 2 bigger boys. All winnable fights for him but all tests in their own way.

I'd say he will, he says he wants to fight twice a year for next couple years or or so. He plans on fighting in November I believe, which would mean he will have fought 3 times in 14 months.

I'm not sure why people want to see him fight Khan. Who is Khan? He's never shown he can mix it at that level and there's a least one more level for him to prove himself at before he should take one of the very few slots remaining on Floyd's resume.

Martinez v Floyd is genuinely a very interesting fight. But beyond Sergio you'd need someone to produce some fairly amazing stuff to be notable additions to his record.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure why people want to see him fight Khan. Who is Khan? He's never shown he can mix it at that level and there's a least one more level for him to prove himself at before he should take one of the very few slots remaining on Floyd's resume.

Martinez v Floyd is genuinely a very interesting fight. But beyond Sergio you'd need someone to produce some fairly amazing stuff to be notable additions to his record.

In truth there's not that much out there for him. He's beaten Ortiz. Berto or Alexander would be a hard sell. Jones and Brook are still pretty green. If Khan can beat Peterson convincingly and win a tune up fight at welter then its a fight that would sell. Hes a name and has the speed to make it interesting for a few rounds before Floyd takes over and gives him a lesson.

If Mayweather could move up and beat Martinez and Alvarez then they would be notable additions for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Craptacular

walshb wrote: »
    Are Sky Sports showing this bout with Cotto and Mayweather?
    No, BoxNation have it.

No, BoxNation have it.

Thanks.

will have to get that now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

If Mayweather could move up and beat Martinez and Alvarez then they would be notable additions for sure.

Floyd wont fight a little 5'6 filipino, you honestly think he'll fight those two monsters?

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Floyd wont fight a little 5'6 filipino, you honestly think he'll fight those two monsters?

To be honest I don't think he will nor should he have to either. In fairness to him he used to be a super featherweight so no pressure on him to fight a massive light middle or the best middleweight around at the moment. Fact that we can even envision these matches shows how good Floyd is.

Do you really think the blame for that fight not happening lies with one side?

To be honest I don't think he will nor should he have to either. In fairness to him he used to be a super featherweight so no pressure on him to fight a massive light middle or the best middleweight around at the moment. Fact that we can even envision these matches shows how good Floyd is.

Do you really think the blame for that fight not happening lies with one side?

Floyd is the one who puts himself on the pedestal which demands such feats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

If I was Mayweather I would look to fight Canelo, Floyd would make absoloute bits of him; Alvarez is tailor-made for him.

Martinez is another prospect. I don't know if he can make 154 anymore but if he can without being overly drained he would beat Floyd IMO.

Advertisement