Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm using 23k kWh in gas - how is it possible?

Options
  • 29-03-2012 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

I've just received my Flogas gas bill. They've underestimated the reading so I've called to correct it.

Today's actual reading on the meter is 2906. Last bill reading was 2568 (also actual). That means we've used 338 units over the 61 day period. Multiply that by the 11.3625 conversion factor and we've used 3840.525 kWh in 61 days, which equates to 22980 kWh in a year.

How on earth are we using 22980 kWh of gas in a year? According to bonkers.ie the national average is 13800 kWh.

It's a 2 bedroom apartment. There are two of us living here. The central heating comes on for 2 hours a day only. The hot water heats for a total of 4 hours per day (at timed intervals). How can we possibly be using nearly double the national average of gas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Try not using gas for a whole day, and then check the meter again. See if it has changed.

Maybe you have a gas leak somewhere.

Do you have your gas appliances serviced once a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭rameire

4 hours a day to heat water, are you mad, or just having baths every few hours.

i heat the water for 15min in the morning and 15min in the evening, this gives me all the water i need for showers, washing up, baby bath if needed, and it provides the heat for the house at the same time as the rads are open.
    especially in the heat we are getting the last 2 weeks,
    if it were colder, i would add a max of an 90 min a day, giving a total of 2 hours a day.
    and i live in a 2 storey 3 bed house.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

It's a rented apartment and we only moved in in November. I don't know when the boiler was last serviced.

I tell you something I've noticed that I thought was a bit odd but perhaps I was imagining it, when the boiler's running I can smell what I think is gas - not inside the apartment but outside, seemingly coming from the boiler's exhaust / vent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭rameire

could be an old very inefficient boiler.
    get a service done, and see what the story is.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    4 hours a day to heat water, are you mad, or just having baths every few hours.

i heat the water for 15min in the morning and 15min in the evening, this gives me all the water i need for showers, washing up, baby bath if needed, and it provides the heat for the house at the same time as the rads are open.
    especially in the heat we are getting the last 2 weeks,
    if it were colder, i would add a max of an 90 min a day, giving a total of 2 hours a day.
    and i live in a 2 storey 3 bed house.

I'll try reducing the time the hot water heats then. Thanks for the tip.

• Advertisement

rameire wrote: »
    could be an old very inefficient boiler.
    get a service done, and see what the story is.

The apartment's only about 2, maybe 2 and a half years old. I think I might get a service done on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

leave everything as it is, take a reading today and again tomorrow at the same time, this will tell you what you use per day.

then reduce your usage. I have the heat on for 1/2 hour in the morning and 2 half hour blocks in the evening and we get all washing up and a bath and shower every night from that. Though I know it was different when I shared in an apartment...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accomodation & Property

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 23,520 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A boiler service will only save you about 2%

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    A boiler service will only save you about 2%
    How so? I mean, if it's leaking and the leak can be fixed..

If theirs a leak you'd smell it.

Here's the stats http://www.seai.ie/Power_of_One/Heat_Your_Home_For_Less/Servicing_Your_Boiler/
    Check out the graph

The 2% is from a service every 4 years its much less for shorter intervals

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I would rarely use heating from March to September / October.

While a service may only marginally reduce usage, ensuring that all the settings are correct / appropriate would save a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

this is the point. you shouldn't take the wintermonth for the relevant units per month. in summer you won't put on the heating ( I would guess).

if you smell gas outside, and it can't be anything else other than your boiler or tank, I would let it check.

Advertisement