Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wild plants

Options
  • 29-03-2012 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

hey guys,

anyone here have much experience with eating wild plants? after watching the colony as recommended in another thread I realised that they ate every anima and insect they saw, but ignored the plants totally. well except for blackberries.

made me realise that I don't know what the crap I can eat that grows locally if needs be. so I've been reading guides and looking at videos online and then going out and trying one or two plants. don't want to try a whole bunch in case I get suck and have to try figure out which caused it.

I was out yesterday kayaking, and I tried some kelps. it was actually very tasty but I'm not 100% on species so I only tried a little
    anyone got any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ballinteerguy

I think dandelion leaves can be eaten - like in a salad.
    Saw it on the sopranos :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

mawk wrote: »
    hey guys,

anyone here have much experience with eating wild plants? after watching the colony as recommended in another thread I realised that they ate every anima and insect they saw, but ignored the plants totally. well except for blackberries.

made me realise that I don't know what the crap I can eat that grows locally if needs be. so I've been reading guides and looking at videos online and then going out and trying one or two plants. don't want to try a whole bunch in case I get suck and have to try figure out which caused it.

I was out yesterday kayaking, and I tried some kelps. it was actually very tasty but I'm not 100% on species so I only tried a little
    anyone got any advice?

yuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmy fried kelp :pac::D ready salted :rolleyes:

River Cottage Handbook No 5 Edible Seashore

Kelp Crisps: - a precis

Dried kelp - unrinsed (dry on washing line).
    Oil for deep frying.

Cut kelp into of 3-4cm squares
    Deep fry kelp a few pieces at a time for a few seconds - surface of kelp bubbles when cooked.
    Drain excess oil and eat :pac:

Do not burn - the taste isn't nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Advertisement