Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Got a call from a Gard saying that I'd been making funny phone calls

• 29-03-2012 11:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Bit of a weird one..

The other evening I got a call supposedly from a member of An Garda Síochána at (I think) Wexford Garda station, giving out to me for harassing some bloke. Apparently I'd been ringing this bloke up numerous times that day and just hanging up when he answered. The guy got so pissed with "me" that he went in to the Garda station and the Gard called me from your man's phone to tell me not to do it anymore.

Anyway I told the Gard that I'd not called the number at any point, I don't have it in my phone book, it's not in my recent calls list and if he'd like to contact Meteor they'd be able to verify that I'd not called the number. I don't know who the fella is nor do I know anybody in Wexford. I suggested that perhaps it was some kind of crossed line issue, or maybe CLI spoofing, that a third party might be calling this guy using a random CLI that happened to be my number.

The Gard was having none of it, blatantly insinuating that I was lying and told me to cease calling the number (the number that I'd never rung in my life) immediately. He was of the opinion that if my number showed in this guy's received call list then I MUST have called him, no exception.

Anyway that's the last I heard of it. It's a bit flipping weird but I'm most annoyed at the Gard for the way he handled the bloke's issue and for how he spoke to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭SteppingStone

Probably just a random wind up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Are you on a bill pay sonny ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Call the Gards on the Gards, that'll learn'm good..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

Are you sure it wasn't one of your friends taking the p!ss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

So a Garda rang you from some guy's mobile?That sounds totally legit and not at all ridiculous.

Hey, would you like to buy a bridge I'm selling?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

Did you call the number back to make sure it was the Guards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Are you sure it wasn't someone pretending to be a guard?

Ring Garda station and ask to speak to whoever was speaking to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Go to the station and ask who called you and call their bluff. Did you get the 'guards' name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Tell him to f*ck off and stop eating donuts next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I thought it was very odd, but I didn't doubt that the caller was really a Gard. So to be honest no, I didn't get the Garda's name and I didn't ring back to confirm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

I thought it was very odd, but I didn't doubt that the caller was really a Gard. So to be honest no, I didn't get the Garda's name and I didn't ring back to confirm.

He should solve some real crime

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

That wasn't a Guard ringing you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Quit posting these stupid threads on my internet too.

Any chance of your mobile number OP,

oh and you might get a call from bank later

Or why don't you ring the number that rang you back? just to see if it all is above board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Tell him you have some allegation about corrupt politicians that you want to report. F**ker won't be able to hang up quick enough :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

If you're certain you haven't drunkenly called this number or whatever you should call into the Gardai and make a complaint against whoever filed a false complaint against you.

Also while you're there enquire as to how to make an FOI request to see the details held on you on their PULSE system. If you can slip emotional stress, defamation and damages into your complaint that's all to the good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,362 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Garda makes harassing phone call to you to give out to you for making harassing phone calls.

Reminds me of the pope yesterday http://imgur.com/2Wv8y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Did you not ask for the Garda's name so you could verify if he was a real Garda Police Type Man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

The guards would never ring you from a third party mobile, it'd be terrible practice and probably illegal. Go to the real guards and tell them you'd like to report somebody who's been impersonating a guards, which is a serious crime and give them the number. That'll soften the cough of whoever's pranking you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Hello Kotek Bear,

I represent a Nigerian Prince who has recently received a large amount of monies from an inheritance. However he needs €1,000 in order to pay for these monies. If you could provide your bank details, you would be rewarded handsomely once the prince received his monies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Call the station he claimed to be from and lodge a complaint that a Garda called you, made false allegations of harrassment with no evidence, and refused to identify himself.

Or call the number he called you from and tell them that you're onto their game.

I once got prank called in work by the infantile mates of one of the staff. He and I hatched a plan; I mocked up a written warning for "Unprofessional Conduct", including a fine. He got the money for his 'fine' off of the idiots who rang me, and we split the cash. Happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

Someone was taking the piss...... Guards can't do anything until a month of calls, then the person who is receiving the calls has to fill in forms to allow their phone to be monitored.... Then when they have evidence, they can prosecute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Someone was taking the piss...... Guards can't do anything until a month of calls, then the person who is receiving the calls has to fill in forms to allow their phone to be monitored.... Then when they have evidence, they can prosecute.

This is true, you have to keep a harassment diary for a month before they'll take it further.

I haven't got the number anymore sadly. I still don't doubt that the caller was a real Gard though. His voice sounded old, maybe in his 50s. The way he composed himself was like an old-school Gard would. Such generation of Garda might also be inclined just to ring the number that the guy was saying was harassing him, as opposed to dealing with it "by the book", so to speak.

If the caller sounded younger, perhaps I'd think someone was pranking me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I'm reporting you for starting an unnecessary thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

You should have just told him to F**K OFF

Should have said you were cooking some rashers & sausages and had
    to get back to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

wasnt you my arse, ya big feckin stalker!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

you'd make a good detective.........:pac:

• Advertisement

I haven't got the number anymore sadly. I still don't doubt that the caller was a real Gard though. His voice sounded old, maybe in his 50s. The way he composed himself was like an old-school Gard would. Such generation of Garda might also be inclined just to ring the number that the guy was saying was harassing him, as opposed to dealing with it "by the book", so to speak.

go on spell guard right? or are you talking about the Georgia Animal Rescue and Defence?

danniemcq wrote: »

go on spell guard right? or are you talking about the Georgia Animal Rescue and Defence?
    I thought Gard was the correct spelling, as in short for Garda. Guard is an English word with a different meaning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

I thought Gard was the correct spelling, as in short for Garda. Guard is an English word with a different meaning.

Guard is the English translation for Garda.

You should have said that you were contacted by a Civic Guard if you really want to be precise about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

What do you call a lion with no eyes?

A lon.

Kosseegan wrote: »

You should have said that you were contacted by a Civic Guard if you really want to be precise about it.
    Ah, fair enough then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Ring the number back over and over and see if the "Gard" calls again :)

• Advertisement

Kosseegan wrote: »

would it not just be a Garda?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/garda

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

danniemcq wrote: »

No.

Garda is not an English word.

http://www.policehistory.com/issues.html

Advertisement