Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Allotment what to do

Options
  • 29-03-2012 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hey

Myself and my family have recently been alocated an allotment and im wondering what is the best way to start it off. The ground is fairly rough at the moment plenty of stones and rocks in it, but it is flat.

Im wondering is it best to keep on digging and raking all the stones out for a few times before we consider putting in some raised beds and sowing ect.

Or is it a good idea to just give one dig and then put a load of top soil on it.

I dont know where to start and any help would be great?

Thanks
    Brendan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

It really depends on waht you want from it and what resources you have available to you...?

For example, if you are putting in raised beds and are going to buy soil to fill them, then no point in alot of aimless digging....

However, the cheaper method may be (depending on size of allotment) to hire a decent sized rotavator (approx 70e) and give the ground a good going over a few times and then pick and rake out the larger stones....

You could then add some compost, manure etc and sow something now and then get on with building raised beds and other tidying, knowing that you already have some stuff sown....

Time is still on your side in terms of sowing most things, so don't panic and enjoy it...

oh yeah, and grow what you will eat ;)

Any ideas what you want to sow/plant ?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭00benski

Hey Technophobe

Thanks very much for the reply. Its a big enough plot to be honest so we are looking forward to getting stuck in to the work together.

We will be growing potatoes, onion, spring onoin, brocolli, sweet potatoe, garlic, herbs and strawberries and a few other bits... HOPEFULLY :)

My mam wants to do the raised be thing so we were up digging the ground yesterday but only got quater of it done ( pretty hard work ).

So would your best advise be just to give the ground a once over, put in the beds and work from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭NecroSteve

Sweet potatoes can't grow in the Irish climate can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Micheal GIY

NecroSteve - sweet potatoe can be grown in Ireland alright, although most people that I have heard growing them do so in tunnels.

00benski - Good advice from Technophobe on making a start. In particular, go with his nugget of wisdom to grow what you will eat! If you have a good sized plot, then don't go mad trying to turn the whole thing into raised beds. If the existing soil is half decent, and you have a bit of manure or compost which you can dig in, then some of your crops will do every bit as well without the beds. Your spuds can be grown in a traditional drill, while something like raspberrys (and similar fruit bushes) can just be planted along in a row, maybe with some ground cover to avoid competition/untidiness from weeds.

As you are starting into an allotment, bear in mind that you are blessed with one of the best resources for any new grower, namely the folks in the neighbouring plots. Check in with them to see what they have done and what has worked well.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

NecroSteve - sweet potatoe can be grown in Ireland alright, although most people that I have heard growing them do so in tunnels.

00benski - Good advice from Technophobe on making a start. In particular, go with his nugget of wisdom to grow what you will eat! If you have a good sized plot, then don't go mad trying to turn the whole thing into raised beds. If the existing soil is half decent, and you have a bit of manure or compost which you can dig in, then some of your crops will do every bit as well without the beds. Your spuds can be grown in a traditional drill, while something like raspberrys (and similar fruit bushes) can just be planted along in a row, maybe with some ground cover to avoid competition/untidiness from weeds.

As you are starting into an allotment, bear in mind that you are blessed with one of the best resources for any new grower, namely the folks in the neighbouring plots. Check in with them to see what they have done and what has worked well.

Good luck.

Totally agree- Start small- think big. :)

Take it one small patch at a time rather than trying to do the whole area in one go. You will likely feel you have made more progress this way and it will motivate you even more do to a little more each time.

Definitely the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Clare man

While time is still on our side, it goes quickly, plan out your beds and get your seed tray's started and your potatos chitted. this will allow you to have plants to go in ground

Raised beds are great, depending on time and resources, they make maintenance much easier

I would recommend try no dig bed, for one bed, google it for details, potatoes are good first crop and they help break up the soil and reduce the time spent digging

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I can't remember exactly how the saying goes but it's something like ... if there is one think you should not forget to do, it's to sow the seeds! Get sowing now in modules and trays as mentioned above. It's all well and good throwing yourself into the DIY and landscaping but it will be all for nothing (this year) if you have nothing to plant out. Make that the priority and don't miss the spring window. Then crack on with the back-breaking part :) Plan areas that need direct sowing first (like carrots/parsnips). Get them ready and sow. Get the spuds in. Then think about the areas for the plants that you will have coming along in modules like salads, beetroot, onions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

All good advice above..
    Remember though to enjoy it or it will become a chore.....although, most people I know (including myself) have started and become addicts (in a good sense) wondering at the marvel of emerging buds, seeds, etc....
    You might end up treating them like babies :D

Be aware upfront you will have some failures too whether down to you or nature; take them as a lesson learnt and move on and try again:)

In terms of what you say you want to grow then:
    Potatoes , onion, and spring onions can all be planted now, so if the ground is very compacted, I would still suggest a day hire of a good rotavator which will then leave the ground ready to manure and you could have spuds planted before end of Easter week:D

Onion sets are available now to buy and might I suggest trying some shallots sets too. In terms of garlic, it is getting late to plant (I put mine in last October) so you could leave that til later in the year...
    Spring onions can be planted in modules and seed trays and transplanted later (in clumps if you want)...Maybe try some leeks too?

As posters above state, start some other seeds off in modules so that they will be ready to transplant in a few weeks or so when you have more done...Module sowings now could include cabbage, brocolli, calabrese and kale amongst others...

Herbs (depending on type) coudl be sown in pots and depending on location of plot, you maybe better sowing these in pots at home, so they are close to your kitchen to grab a handful when cooking...just a thought...

Strawberries- pick a patch, throw them in and watch them spread!!
    hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Zelkova

If you're newbie just plant spuds. They give a high return for little effort. Give it a dig if it's really compacted soil. Remove only large rocks and big stones. Earthing them up will set u up for the next few years with minimal effort.
    The secret ingredient is organic matter- manure, compost etc. forget fertilisers and adding importing soil.
    Next year you'll see the soil will be much more friable and suitable for other crops and will be easier to work with.
    Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

I believe what is especially important with new ground is killing off wireworm and other pests.

An Irish company, nemo.ie, sell nematodes which are a non-poisinous alternative to chemicals and is a broad spectrum pest killer for leatherjackets, wireworm, root fly etc.

For slugs I use a combination of irishseedsavers.ie organic slug pellets, beer traps and nemasys from mr middletons in dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

kinda off topic but im looking for an allotment in the mid west ie tipperary limerick galway region. ive asked around some of the people I thought would know but the best they can come up with is a local co-op style version which if im honest i want to do it my own way as my time commentments cannot be ties down.

if i fail to find one within a reasonable distance for next year i might ask a local farmer for a small plot but im afraid of been screwed on rent etc Ive stared this year at home with a few small options but wish to "grow" big

ps my father grows an acre of veg and spuds a year so i know what im doing however he lives too far away to part take in his action

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Herbs (depending on type) coudl be sown in pots and depending on location of plot, you maybe better sowing these in pots at home, so they are close to your kitchen to grab a handful when cooking...just a thought...

My two cents - if you're growing mint, give its it's own big pot and don't grow with other herbs. it spreads like wildfire and doesn't give the other herbs a chance. A little thing I discovered last year...

kinda off topic but im looking for an allotment in the mid west ie tipperary limerick galway region. ive asked around some of the people I thought would know but the best they can come up with is a local co-op style version which if im honest i want to do it my own way as my time commentments cannot be ties down.

if i fail to find one within a reasonable distance for next year i might ask a local farmer for a small plot but im afraid of been screwed on rent etc Ive stared this year at home with a few small options but wish to "grow" big

ps my father grows an acre of veg and spuds a year so i know what im doing however he lives too far away to part take in his action

There is a system, it will take a bit of searching, but essentially, older folks with back gardens they cant take care of. The idea is people who want to set up a garden plot contact the website, and a meeting is set up.
    You grow your veg etc, and the older person gets their garden taken care of.
    I think its a great idea, giving social cohesion and a lot of the older people get regular visits etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Zuiderzee wrote: »
    There is a system, it will take a bit of searching, but essentially, older folks with back gardens they cant take care of. The idea is people who want to set up a garden plot contact the website, and a meeting is set up.
    You grow your veg etc, and the older person gets their garden taken care of.
    I think its a great idea, giving social cohesion and a lot of the older people get regular visits etc.

great idea. we're house hunting at the moment and have seen alot of old cottages on a half acre or so with a huge amount of land unused due to elderly owners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

great idea. we're house hunting at the moment and have seen alot of old cottages on a half acre or so with a huge amount of land unused due to elderly owners.

If Phil Hogan has his way,then you will get hammered on property tax,for having a large front or back garden.:mad::rolleyes:

Can you believe the contempt and balls of Phil Hogan and all the shyte talk he has been giving out to us over non payment and doing the right thing.

Big Phil doesnt want to pay a fee either,see here.........

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/phil-hogan-refuses-to-pay-4k-service-charges-on-his-portugal-holiday-penthouse-3067684.html

paddy147 wrote: »
    If Phil Hogan has his way,then you will get hammered on property tax,for having a large front or back garden.:mad::rolleyes:

Can you believe the contempt and balls of Phil Hogan and all the shyte talk he has been giving out to us over non payment and doing the right thing.

Big Phil doesnt want to pay a fee either,see here.........

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/phil-hogan-refuses-to-pay-4k-service-charges-on-his-portugal-holiday-penthouse-3067684.html

Are we sure thats not an April 1st prank?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Zuiderzee wrote: »
    Are we sure thats not an April 1st prank?

Nope,100% true too.

"dead man walking".....perhaps.:D

Advertisement