Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Business Attire and Make-up

• 29-03-2012 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone :)

I will be starting an internship in a big company on Monday and the dress code is business attire. For women, I presume that means suit with a nice shirt or top or perhaps even a plain but dressy dress. So that's ok, I think I'll be able to get suitable work clothes.

The main thing bothering me is if I am expected to wear make-up. Could anyone here advise me? I hate make-up and even when going out I don't put a huge effort in. I feel it makes very little difference to my appearance because of my apathy towards it. So do you think I should or shouldn't wear it? Does anyone here feel strongly either way about professional appearance? Thanks :)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

A wee bit of foundation, tiny bit of powder and a bit of mascara and maybe blusher would probably do the trick. That's what I'd do (without the blusher). Make up tends to make you look more professional because everyone else wears it, unless you've got perfect skin and eyes you'd probably stand out if you weren't, especially if you were meeting clients. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Better here OP

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I think you should. No need for eyeliner, eyeshadow or anything but the bare essentials. If you don't like foundation, would you try a tinted moisturiser or BB cream? These give a good dewy finish and are not heavy or 'caked on' looking. No 7 and 17 in Boots do both. Garnier do a lovely BB cream but it is unfortunately not pale enough for your average Irish person. Either one plus powder (Rimmel and Collection 2000 do great translucent shades in pressed powder, most other brands are too dark unless you go high-end), plus blusher (Soap and Glory love at first blush is great, natural looking- it's €15 in Boots stores only) plus mascara and a lip gloss or lip balm or even just vaseline. It might sound like a lot but it would take 10 minutes or less and will still look natural and not overdone.

If you're willing to go for foundation and you have dry pale skin I would highly recommend Maybelline Dream Satin Liquid foundation (not the foam one or mousse one which have the same name dream satin name) in either of the two palest shades. I've used loads and I always go back to these, so easy to blend, does not show up dry patches and is not too dark or orange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I think you should but since you aren't keen on it, just wear minimal makeup, i.e. foundation and a bit of blusher. A bit of makeup will make you look more polished. Nobody really has perfect skin so the foundation will just even things out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I have worked in a similar environment for 7 years now and I don't wear make up to work. I wear it the odd time and I always wear it when going to court but I don't wear it everyday. My skin isn't perfect but I suppose I don't get spots or blemishes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Thanks a million guys for all the advice! I think I'll go with the minimal thing, at least for the first day (when I can suss things out ;) ) I sure don't want to get off on the wrong foot :)

Advertisement