Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melbourne Vs Sydney - quality of living

Options
  • 29-03-2012 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,

I am currently living in Melbourne on a working holiday visa, I have been here for 5 weeks, staying in hostels and in a friends spare room. I have been looking for work within my field - design/architecture for this length of time, frustratingly all work for me seems to be in Sydney at the moment...

I came to Oz to work in Design but I am supposed to start a full time call centre job next Monday which Im not really looking forward to...

I choose Melbourne as I have a handful of friends here but the work I want is not here, would you bite the bullet and move to Sydney on your own or would you hang in there for another few weeks? Im back to living in a hostel next week so would'nt have a whole lot to lose plus the longer I wait the more money Im spending living in limbo

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

If working in your field is more beneficial and your preference, go.
    Call centre can be tedious work, and for the sake of hanging out with a few pals here, is it worth that?
    You will know the answer or have a fair idea, if you don't like being out of your comfort zone it will be a big challenge to up sticks to Sydney.

Sydney is generally better for your field.
    You won't be the first person to go it alone there and with so many Irish on the move, chances are some pals will show up sooner or later. Make your own way, it'll enrich your Aussie experience.
    Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

You go where the work is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Zambia wrote: »
    You go where the work is.
    +1
    If you are really asking about quality of living then they are both the same. The city lifestyles are different though, Melbourne is cool and hip while Sydney is big and flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Holly_Golightly

Thanks guys! Have decided to go to Sydney and get the work experience I came for! Cheers for your thoughts! :)

Advertisement